• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ZX120 moniter

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Hey guys does anyone know how to change the display from hours to the other options e.g Engine revs, hyd oil temp e.t.c
Cheers Zx120 2005 Hitachi

Last edited:

KenAl

You need the Dr ZX to add RPM and hydraulic temperature to the monitor.

wildhorse trnr

Occupation
Field Technician
Have you tried accessing the service mode of the monitor? The onboard abilities of the newer units is very good. I rarely have to work on the ZX units, but I did have to troubleshoot a 600 recently, and the monitor provided the diagnostics needed.

sultan

Have you tried accessing the service mode of the monitor? The onboard abilities of the newer units is very good. I rarely have to work on the ZX units, but I did have to troubleshoot a 600 recently, and the monitor provided the diagnostics needed.

I'm wondering if there's a built-in service mode on B and C series CAT excavators, and how can it be accessed. Does anyone here know?

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Zx120 monitor and slow hydraulics

Hi there wildhorse, how do I access the service mode.
What my main prob is is that I am pretty dam sure my engine rev's are lower than should be and I am lacking hyd power, this is what im hoping. I will be changing hyd filter in the morning and doing a few diagnostics.

Travelling speed seems utter shyt and it seems to pull power from tracks when crowding or lifting. Machine has done 3800hrs so really hoping pump is fine, and its just as simple engine revs

wildhorse trnr

Occupation
Field Technician
I will check my notebook for the service mode application(don't do it enough to remember).
I would check engine RPM and make certain that is OK first.
Then if only crowd/lift is slow, elevate the tracks left side and then right side and compare track speed. Offhand I don't remember which pump is tied to crowd and which is tied to stick.
The track speed test is just a quick test to point you in a direction.
I will send you a pvt.msg.with the access info.

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Cheers matey, she tracks nice and straight but I will check tomoro whilst lifting each side. When I get on in incline it is pitiful. As soon as I can check engine speed a few things might be eliminated.
Thanks for the time much appreciated.

KenAl

Hold the set button while turning the key on then press display untill the rpm comes up. It ends up in a loop, you cannot go back if you pass it you have to keep pressing untill it comes up again. I had to do a pump on one with about the same hours, the servo piston bores had worn and the pilot oil to stroke the pump would go to tank and the pump would go to low displacement. Had to change out the pump housing. Also helped another person wit the same problem and discovered the same situation as I found. Tracks good and straight but when the oil warms up the speed slows down.

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Thanks heaps kenAl i will try in the morning. Was it a big job to change housing, very costly ?

KenAl

I was supprised at the cost in the fact that it wasn't all that much. Can not remember how much it was though. Was able to put all the guts into the new housing.

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Hi there KenAI thanks heaps for the info, I got into the rpm mode and it was about 150rpm under spec, I whipped out the spanner and altered back up to 1950rpm, man what a difference, it's like a new machine. I wouldn't of thought that 150rpm would make that much change but sure has. As the day gets on she seems to creep back a bit in rev's though, but not bad though.
This place rock's for getting info. Cheers all.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sultan,
There are diagnostic modes in those all the three hundred series Cat excavators. I have it in an old file and have to find a translator. I'll let you know how when I get the files translated.

HitachiJim

Hi mate, the throttle control motor can play up in these giving alternating rpm. there is a learning process they are suppose to got through when changed and not sure what series zaxis you have but there is a tiny little toggle switch in your fuse panel box, that is used for it. I flicked it one day wondering what it did on my older Zaxis 350H-1 and learned the hard way. there is a re-learn step by step in the operator manual though.