• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zerks Won't Take Grease

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
The 2 grease zerks on the C frame of my dozer wouldn't take grease. I got one side free with a grease joint rejuvinator but am not having any luck with the other side. I've heated it up pretty good and tried the rejuvinator with both PB Blaster and trans fluid. Any other ideas other than pulling the C Frame pin out?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have had pretty good luck soaking the joint with motor oil and using the machine for a while and eventually the joint will free up and take grease.I keep a squirt can in my truck for just that purpose.Ron G

Delmer

Have you taken the zerk out and blown all the grease out with brake cleaner? Then fill with something light like PB and try again with the rejuvenator. If that fails you can try a porta power while moving the joint.

Shimmy1

Sometimes they just take patience, and sometimes a new pin. Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Last edited:

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
So far I've tried new zerks, heat, a rejuvinator w/ tans fluid and PB Blaster all with no luck. I did get the other side to take grease with the rejuvinator so I feel like if I just keep at it this one will come free at some point. Think I'm gonna try Ron G's oil method for a few days then try the rejuvinator again. I haven't tried hooking the rejuvinator up with hoses and fittings rather than just using the zerk as some have recommended. Funny thing is when I took the original zerk out the grease in the main port was like new. The blockage has to be in the little port that directs grease to the bushing. This thing will keep me up at night till I get it fixed.

Twisted

Remove the zerk then brake fluid and air to unclog the port. Can you get in there with a torch tip cleaner or wire? The only other thing would be if a bushing or something spun in the bore causing the port to not line up.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Like Delmer mentioned, if you have a Porta-power type pump adapt one of the couplers off it to the 1/8 inch thread size for the zerk and pump the oil in using that. The light weight oil used in a Porta-power along with the 10,000 psi will 95% of the time do the job. Then once it is free keep greasing it every day to keep it free. I always like to see a machine greased at the end of the shift to flush out the dirt from the days work. And any fittings that work in the worst should be greased way more often to keep them clear.

Delmer

Funny thing is when I took the original zerk out the grease in the main port was like new. The blockage has to be in the little port that directs grease to the bushing.

Why is that surprising? Wasn't the factory paint still on the check ball too? Yes, the hole in the bushing is the plug usually, that's why you need to get oil or solvent to wash it from either side, like the brake cleaner straw, or oil on the pin. The dirt, rust, clay packs in to make a pretty durable plug. That's why the porta power helps, you can hold high pressure on the joint as it moves so hopefully the plug pushes against the moving pin and lets the oil by. If the pin is still nice and tight then the rejuventator is at a disadvantage in trying to blow grease past a solid supported plug.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I always like to see a machine greased at the end of the shift to flush out the dirt from the days work. And any fittings that work in the worst should be greased way more often to keep them clear.
I have heard that argument in the past but I always grease in the morning while the machine warms up.I don't think that the pins etc retain as much grease at the end of a shift as they do when greased cold and the temptation to walk the machine with cold hydraulic oil etc with minimal warm up time is lessened somewhat.Ron G

Shimmy1

I have heard that argument in the past but I always grease in the morning while the machine warms up.I don't think that the pins etc retain as much grease at the end of a shift as they do when greased cold and the temptation to walk the machine with cold hydraulic oil etc with minimal warm up time is lessened somewhat.Ron G
Problem up here in the arctic is the machine doesn't grease in the morning when it's a frozen ice cube. Excavators are the worst. Changing to a lighter grease can help, but that doesn't stay in the joint as well either.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
It gets pretty cold here in Connecticut too and we have the same problems with the cold and the grease.I have found that changing to the synthetic greases is a big help.I still stand by my greasing in the morning while the machine is warming up and I was thinking about an excavator in my original post.They should run about 30 minutes at least before you move them in this climate,actually in any temperature to do it right.That really goes for any machine.Ron G

Twisted

Yup. -25*F this morning. The most efficient is greasing while stuff warms up. I let my toys warm up at least 15 min in the summer and 30min+ if it's cold. My operators will get fired if they do any less. They get paid to warm up and lube my machines. I use Shell grease and the heavy stuff in the summer and thin in the winter. Check the fluids, start the machine, lube, have a cup of coffee then go to work. I've never had an engine or any other major component fail by doing that. Maybe some because of hours but never because of a cold or hot seize.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
It is going to be 8 below here tonight.I used to use Texaco grease except in the real cold and the synthetic grease I used to use was that real shiny red stuff,getting too old to remember the brand but it worked pretty good in the grease guns and also was good in whatever we were greasing.I asked a lot from whatever I was running and I took care of it too.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Thanks for the tips everyone. I like Ron G's idea of running the equipment while you grease it in the morning. I try wait to let it warm up but it's hard to sit there for 15 minutes doing nothing. I bought this dozer sight unseen and one of the first things I noticed when it showed up was the lack of old grease build up on the areas that take grease. I bought a skid steer a few years ago and the guys apologized about all the grease on fittings, I told them no problem . I'm gonna try to run it and squirt oil on the fitting the next few days if that doesn't work guess I'll take the pin out.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Soak those pins and bushings for a few days,you should have a grease fitting assortment on hand,NAPA sells a good one so you always have the right size for whatever you are working on and after a few days your repair will be pretty well cut out for you.I shiver when I hear a squeak from a joint on anything.I usually drink a coffee while I am greasing.That pic in my avatar shows a D8H getting a grease job while it warms up and it needed to run a while longer so I snapped a few pics while I waited.Ron G

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Problem up here in the arctic is the machine doesn't grease in the morning when it's a frozen ice cube. Excavators are the worst. Changing to a lighter grease can help, but that doesn't stay in the joint as well either.

Would not want to try to pump NLGI #2 into a machine that sat outside last night around here! This morning got up it was -13ºF and dropped a few more before the sun was up!

BPMfore

We use a low temp grease for our Tucker snow groomers. I believe we get it at our local NAPA store. No snow around here to groom this year, really blows.-16 this morning.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Glad to hear it's winter somewhere. 47* this morning with a high of 67* and ground is dry on top. Been strange winter even for Texas. I bought this dozer thinking I could take the winter to fix anything I found wrong and add brush screens. Looks like I'll be learning to use it instead.

kshansen

Occupation
We use a low temp grease for our Tucker snow groomers. I believe we get it at our local NAPA store. No snow around here to groom this year, really blows.-16 this morning.

Well down west of Syracuse we have a bit of the white stuff, most parts of the yard are one foot or less. Digg away the snow where it has not been plowed and it's still nice and soft. Getting hot out there now with the sun right up to 10ºF!