• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zaxis 200-3 experiences... good machines?

Permafrost-ed

Ive heard the 4cyl engine is good on fuel unless its pushed hard. True?
Are the servicing intervals the same as an older 200 hitachi?

I also hear the servicing is made easy by all the filters being remotely mounted behind a panel.

I have lots of seat time on many machines but fo some reason I havent got around to running any of these yet. I'd like to purchase one in the future so I thought I'd ask some opinions.

Thanks Lads.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Mate i would say hitachi make the best excavators in the world the conditions i have seen the ZX and EX models run in and the lack of maintenance and they are still running. also they are very very good on fuel from what i hear from a few mobs that i know that are running them also them isuzu engines run forever and a day.

pp13bnos

I can't comment on the 200-3, but I have a 120-5, and JGS is correct. The isuzu engines sip fuel. My machine has has nearly 12k hours on it, and doesn't use a drop of oil. My hats off to isuzu. My.02, CJ

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't recall ever seeing a four cylinder diesel in a 200 size excavator. All I've seen were six cylinders.

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
I have a JD 200C LC and it has JD engine in it.Outstanding fuel economy.No problems.My experience with ISUZU
engines has been outstanding.
I do love my machine.

AlloaExcavating

Isuzu are incredible motors. As well Hitachi machines are extremly well built. All my larger Excavators are hitachi, and i dont see that changing anytime soon.

Permafrost-ed

I hear you boys...

My UH-07 has a Isuzu with 16,000hrs (no rebuild) and our ex300 has 12,000hrs on its Hino. Im a hitachi guy through and through but the new stuff is always intimidating. Keep the comments coming!

And yes the Zaxis 200-3 is a 4cyl.

Acivil

We love ours! We have had a pretty pathetic maintenance program until recently, and they have held up amazingly! They sip fuel in hp mode, let alone economy mode...

GPC

Occupation
Lowboy Driver/Dispatcher/Mechanic
We had a 240 on lease for the last year and a half. The operator loves it and it doesn't use nearly as much fuel as the 320 Cat.

cutting edge

I hear you boys...

My UH-07 has a Isuzu with 16,000hrs (no rebuild) and our ex300 has 12,000hrs on its Hino. Im a hitachi guy through and through but the new stuff is always intimidating. Keep the comments coming!

And yes the Zaxis 200-3 is a 4cyl.

Yes, the ZX 200-3 has a 4 cylinder engine.

They're easy on fuel if you're just bucketing topsoil around,but get thirsty in the digging conditions you will encounter in the Yukon.

Nice to run though and super quiet.

small six

I heard the 4 cylinder had a few problems in 2007 when it was introduced. Any truth to that? Head gaskets,etc.

small six

Nobody heard of any 4 cylinder engine problems with the hitachi 200s....2007 cause I'm looking at buying one?

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Nobody heard of any 4 cylinder engine problems with the hitachi 200s....2007 cause I'm looking at buying one?

mate not that i know of and have heaps of mate running them as far as they are concerned they would only use that engine and i must agree with them that is why we run it in our 21ton machine that we sell.

small six

mate not that i know of and have heaps of mate running them as far as they are concerned they would only use that engine and i must agree with them that is why we run it in our 21ton machine that we sell.

That's good news.....the guys around here really liked the six cylinder Isuzu. Some have said the saw them with 20-25 thousand hrs.

Hitachijames

I have a 250h-3 a 330lc-3 and a 350h-3 the 250 runs the 4 cylinder and we find it quite thirsty nearly as bad as the 30 tonners, it is working in a hot area in its defence and it is a great machine otherwise.
The common rails and fuel pumps are a bit weak we have replaced these on the 2 30tonners and have hear it being done regularly on others. When the common rail starts leaking it pisses diesel all over the engine harness which roots it too. The two both did pumps, rails and harnesses at about 5000hrs. Other wise they are good.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
I have a 250h-3 a 330lc-3 and a 350h-3 the 250 runs the 4 cylinder and we find it quite thirsty nearly as bad as the 30 tonners, it is working in a hot area in its defence and it is a great machine otherwise.
The common rails and fuel pumps are a bit weak we have replaced these on the 2 30tonners and have hear it being done regularly on others. When the common rail starts leaking it pisses diesel all over the engine harness which roots it too. The two both did pumps, rails and harnesses at about 5000hrs. Other wise they are good.

mate i am really surprised by them comments i have sold a hell of a lot of parts to blokes that have a lot of the smae model diggers as you and have not heard that from them, where in aus are you running them?

Hitachijames

mate i am really surprised by them comments i have sold a hell of a lot of parts to blokes that have a lot of the smae model diggers as you and have not heard that from them, where in aus are you running them?

Hi mate, north Qld and N.T so hot climates, but that should not impact the life of the pump or rail. The worst part is with the rail a damper starting leaking on both and should be a $100 part but hitachi won't sell it separate and it's a 2k common rail then a $700 harness.

Permafrost-ed

Hi mate, north Qld and N.T so hot climates, but that should not impact the life of the pump or rail. The worst part is with the rail a damper starting leaking on both and should be a $100 part but hitachi won't sell it separate and it's a 2k common rail then a $700 harness.

I didn't realize the 4cyl eng was common rail.
I know the common rail in my Dodge is far less tolerant to dirty diesel to the point I have added a much higher quality and capacity fuel filtration system. We run our machines in a gold mine and often get diesel from portable fuel tanks. I'm sure the injectors and hi pressure fuel pumps associated with common rail are expensive. There is something to be said for the old school mechanical injection systems.

Hitachijames

Yeah she is, they do say the Aussie fuel too low or too high sulphur content I can't remember which is which. This may contribute, hitachi did do a secondary filter upgrade to a lower micron so maybe they were trying to address it there. Diesel bug is more prevelant in the hotter climates, maybe another contributor.
We have a cat 330 which although a more expensive buy price, the parts are cheaper and back up is much more available and they don't mind letting you in on a few secrets, hitachi here is a bit different.

small six

We did buy the 2007 200 Hitachi and I find it smokes blue at times and then it'll clear up. Sometimes at start up and the next time nothing? I'm going to try changing fuel filters tomorrow. Anyone else notice this also the motor kind of shakes when it idles.