• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your opinions of Hyundai excavators

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I am wanting your opinions on running a Hyundai excavators. I have owned a Hyundai 235LCR-9 for a couple of years. I actually like the machine, but do not like operating it. The hydraulics are not very user friendly....... they have no "touch". The swing motor is the worst. If you are loading a dump truck, lifting, turning and extending the stick at the same time, the swing speed is hard regulate. It is hard to slow and stop smoothly over the truck. The local dealer has had my machine several times trying to fix it, but so far nothing has helped. The dealer brought out a nearly new Hyundai 210LC-9 to use and the hyds were similar to operate. Since I bought the 235, I have had the opportunity to run several Komatsu and Cat machines, they were sooo much easier to operate. After a few short minutes in those machines it felt like I had been running them for years.

Needless to say I am frustrated. I am needing your input on your experiences with Hyundai machines.
Thank you for any help.

Hitachi225

I think you pretty much answered your own question. If you currently own one and are not happy with it, and the new machine has the same problems that you don't like on your old one . Why would you even be contemplating buying another one?

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I think you pretty much answered your own question. If you currently own one and are not happy with it, and the new machine has the same problems that you don't like on your old one . Why would you even be contemplating buying another one?

I am NOT contemplating buying another one, I am wondering if all Hyundai are like this or is the problem in my machine only. I also hoping that someone else has had the same problem and then tell me how they fixed it.

My dealer has been helpful by bringing 210 out to use while mine was in the shop for a month. Unfortunately they have not come up with any solutions for my machine's problem.

Tags

The dealer brought out a nearly new Hyundai 210LC-9 to use and the hyds were similar to operate. Since I bought the 235, I have had the opportunity to run several Komatsu and Cat machines, they were sooo much easier to operate. After a few short minutes in those machines it felt like I had been running them for years.

Needless to say I am frustrated. I am needing your input on your experiences with Hyundai machines.
Thank you for any help.

I think you've answered your own question. There is no solution to the lack of fine control of your hydraulics, if the hydraulics on 210 runs like the hydraulics on the 235 then that's just how they run on the Hyundais. That's why they're cheaper and I would imagine that's why you don't see a ton of em' around. If you've run other brands that do what the Hyundai doesn't, I think it shows why the competitors may cost a bit more.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I had a 1996 200lc for 8 yrs put 6,000hrs on it. the swing was the same as yours. on mine if you didn't move the lever very far it was way easier to control the speed of the swing. At full deflection it was way to fast and slow to stop. I don't recall it changing much while running other functions. Was a very reliable machine otherwise.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Hyundai engineering is a copy of machines other manufacturers make. Putting it another way, they are at least a generation behind the main stream manufacturers. The systems are designed to be almost no flow when nothing is being used but go to full flow whenever a function is stroked. That means the pump goes on full stroke whenever and function valve spool is barely cracked open. With no modulation in pump flow and all that oil to the valve at once, you get jumpy controls making the machine a little hazardous to run in tight spaces. It is a function of how much money you saved by purchasing that brand of machine.

My dad used to say "thats what you get for what you got".

Shimmy1

I was going to post last night, but figured I'd let some others speak first. All I've ever heard of Hyundai excavators is they have inferior hydraulics, to put it mildly. That's what I've been told.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
There was a 480 Hyundai at Houston last week and I was surprised at the interest in the machine. A lot of people gave that machine a very thorough going over. It ended up bringing 90K. It was a 2010 with around 4800 hours. The 2006 model Cat 345 with around 7200 hours brought 105K I think.

I would be in the camp which considers the Cat the better deal long term but I also own a 855 Versatile so I understand the concept of "cheap horsepower".;)

TrentNz

I run a Hyundai 145CR-9 its actually not bad. They have come a long way. Ive run cat komatsu hitachi etc and while not quite as good its still smooth, will pull grade and is comfy. I do know what you mean about the swing once you stop pulling the dipper in itll jerk and speed up. It doesnt overly bother me though.

J Black

I have 2 140lc-9 excavators. These machines have kawasaki hydraulics, like most of the other brands, and are incredibly smooth throughout all of the ranges of operation. I ran a 145-9 and a 210lc-9 before making my purchase. Overall I am happy with the Hyundai
machines, and would be tempted to say your issue should be repairable; but that's just my opinion.

tylermckee

I've put thousands of hours on Hyundai excavators and have had no issues like what you describe. That's on a 55-7, 140-7, 160-7, and a 160-9. They are fast, smooth, and reliable. Worst machine I've ran as far as being jerky and unpredictable was a kobelco 115.

fhdesign

I don't have any complaints with my older 210lc-3, it's been reliable and the controls work fine. I do have a problem with it is lack of dealer support, in my area.

ih100

Having spent time on a 20 ton and 35 ton Hyundai, I can't say I've had any issues with the smoothness of the hydraulics. What the machines are like to own long-term, I'll leave to long-term owner/operators to comment.

Nigt3

I have a new 145 hyundai along with 15 other excavators (mostly case) and I also noticed the Hydraulics on the swing seem to creep on, but this would really be the only noticeable weak point that I can see (I have had the digger brand new for 6months) with regards to other hydraulic operations the machine is as smooth as any other I have driven or owned!!