• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your biggest lubrication concerns?

What lubrication concerns you the most when it comes to your equipment?

• Grease related.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Gear oils. temps/failures

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Hydraulic fluids. leaks/overheating

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Engine Oils. Change intervals/Quality

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
That's a tough one to answer. I think all the categories are important and I take care to service each of those areas aggressively.

If I had to be pinned down on one, I think I'd answer engine oils. I think the engine internals face the harshest environment, and without the engine, none of the other categories will work.

Jeff D.

Salesrep,I would agree with Steve about the engine oil being the biggest concern,with respect to quality.

With that,there seems to be some very high quality engine oils on the market today,and rarely problems where oil quality is questioned as the cause of any failure(atleast from my experience).

I have had many seals leaking problems though,on axles,pto's,pinion shafts,etc. and often the seals aren't that old.They have been on seals that were installed from the factory,not seals replaced while in service,so improper seal installation SHOULDN'T be the cause??

Most have been while using synthetic lube,but not all.So my primary concern right now would be having a additive in the lube oil that can keep the seals pliable enough to maintain a seal,especially in the synthetics,which seems to wick through anything that isn't absolutely perfect.This same type of additive in the hydraulic oils would be benificial also,so a thinner oil could be run in cold weather,without seeping out of every joint once it heats up during operation.

FYI,that parasynthetic hy-trans I got from you worked very well in my dumptruck(Ford 8000) hydraulics.My pump is driven by the engine crank via short front mounted driveshaft,and then through a gearbox(to disengaging it).Normally when I fire it up,the pump is noisy(thick fluid)but after I dumped 5gals of that hy-trans(in 20 gal tank,already 1/2 full of petro based hy-trans) is quited right down,even when cold starting.Also the plow raises smooth while cold too.:thumbsup

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
"Salesrep,I would agree with Steve about the engine oil being the biggest concern,with respect to quality.

With that,there seems to be some very high quality engine oils on the market today,and rarely problems where oil quality is questioned as the cause of any failure(atleast from my experience)."

I agree, which is why so many are extending drains. The capabilities of premium oils to go out 2-3 times longer than the oem recemendation is becoming more and more common place. Engine failures from oil is very rare and if monitered longevity of the engine is increased as well.

"I have had many seals leaking problems though,on axles,pto's,pinion shafts,etc. and often the seals aren't that old.They have been on seals that were installed from the factory,not seals replaced while in service,so improper seal installation SHOULDN'T be the cause??

Most have been while using synthetic lube,but not all.So my primary concern right now would be having a additive in the lube oil that can keep the seals pliable enough to maintain a seal,especially in the synthetics,which seems to wick through anything that isn't absolutely perfect.This same type of additive in the hydraulic oils would be benificial also,so a thinner oil could be run in cold weather,without seeping out of every joint once it heats up during operation."

I see this consistantly. Guys go cheap and buy minimum spec hy oil and gear oil. In time, the heat and pressure break down the seals. A good hyd or gear oil with a solid base stock, seal conditioners, ep adds, anti-wear and anti foam agents will dramatically reduce leakage now and in the future.
A quality lubricant always pays for itself.

No bias here of course.:wink2

atgreene

Pins and bushings. My main pins on the bucket get lubed everyday with Texas Refinery Red Grease, but I still see lots of wear. Engine oil and hydro oil seem to be fine, change at regular intervals and never have a problem.

CGSI

One Hydraulic oil

salesrep said:
What is your biggest concern and why?

I would love to find ONE hydraulic fluid that i can run in my central hydraulics, Skid Steer, Boss and western Plows that would fill all the needs for year round use and end different oil usage.:notworthy