• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yanmar vs Case excavators

TVA

Actually as far as I knew Case has “boost” option too, and can lift things OK.

Norwegian Steam

Wow, glad I asked. Case doesn't make its own machines? The sales guy didn't mention that. I like to buy American.
Almost no one makes their own excavators.
The case mini excavators are made in Italy at their own plant but have either yanmar or Kubota engines. The midi excavators are Hyundai
The full size are made by sumitomo.
Deere excavators are actually hitachi.
Link-Belt are also made by Sumitomo.
The Japanese make excavators very very well and it’s the reason lots of companies white box their excavator lines.
Everything else Case sells is made in the US with the exception of the motor graders and mini wheel loaders which are also made in Italy.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The only manufacturer building its own excavators complete is Komatsu. As far as printed advertising comparisons go the paper they are printed on is worth more than any info that might be printed on the page. As least the paper might be used to wipe your bum.

The person in the seat has as much to do with production as the designers and engineers. Your best comparisons are made while sitting in the seat and making the machine produce. The questions you should be asking concern cost of operation. How much does it cost for a hydraulic filter and where do you have to go to get one.? Who are you going to call when a hydraulic cylinder starts leaking? What kind of fittings are on the hydraulic hoses used on the machine and where can those parts be sourced and what will they cost? Is this a rubber track machine? Is it special to this machine and where can replacements be sourced and at what cost compared to other machines? Where are you going to find steel tracks if you need them and what will they cost? What about the operators seat? Is it made for a 130 pound asian man or a 250 pound person that's over six feet tall? Are the control valves in the machine accessible to fix leaks, make adjustments or modifications? What about attachments? Are you going to use a quick coupler? Does the machine have the hydraulics to operate one? Do you want a hydraulic thumb or grapple with a rotate circuit? Many excavators today no longer come with the extra spool to run them. You have to pay extra for it! Where can I obtain a hydraulic pump and who will know how to adjust the system when there are problems. Who made the engine and will it be covered by the machine dealer or will you have to deal with the engine manufacturer. Is the cab a ROPS of a FOPS unit. If it gets dented will it have to be replaced, are any available and at what cost.

It is an aggravation point for me because lot of people throw BS at everyone to confuse the real issues of ownership and make themselves appear to know more than they actually do.

Norwegian Steam

The only manufacturer building its own excavators complete is Komatsu. As far as printed advertising comparisons go the paper they are printed on is worth more than any info that might be printed on the page. As least the paper might be used to wipe your bum.

The person in the seat has as much to do with production as the designers and engineers. Your best comparisons are made while sitting in the seat and making the machine produce. The questions you should be asking concern cost of operation. How much does it cost for a hydraulic filter and where do you have to go to get one.? Who are you going to call when a hydraulic cylinder starts leaking? What kind of fittings are on the hydraulic hoses used on the machine and where can those parts be sourced and what will they cost? Is this a rubber track machine? Is it special to this machine and where can replacements be sourced and at what cost compared to other machines? Where are you going to find steel tracks if you need them and what will they cost? What about the operators seat? Is it made for a 130 pound asian man or a 250 pound person that's over six feet tall? Are the control valves in the machine accessible to fix leaks, make adjustments or modifications? What about attachments? Are you going to use a quick coupler? Does the machine have the hydraulics to operate one? Do you want a hydraulic thumb or grapple with a rotate circuit? Many excavators today no longer come with the extra spool to run them. You have to pay extra for it! Where can I obtain a hydraulic pump and who will know how to adjust the system when there are problems. Who made the engine and will it be covered by the machine dealer or will you have to deal with the engine manufacturer. Is the cab a ROPS of a FOPS unit. If it gets dented will it have to be replaced, are any available and at what cost.

It is an aggravation point for me because lot of people throw BS at everyone to confuse the real issues of ownership and make themselves appear to know more than they actually do.
Doesn’t any machine with a ROPS have to get it replaced if it gets dented or otherwise damaged? I thought they were like kids car seats, any impact and it needs to be replaced as it’s now not 100% in spec?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Some excavators don't have a ROPS cab and damaged doesn't matter. Local Cat dealer wasn't informing their customers that new mini's all have ROPS on them now. Nor did they inform customers that new replacement cabs weren't available.

Fluxite

I have a yanmar SV08 mini. It's simple and will run forever. Likely way too small for pond work but it will dig a 4 foot deep trench in a hurry.

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
I own 2 Yanmar’s no problems and the quick connect pin grabber is awesome
A lot of other brands have Yanmar power

Mountainmover

What's the most common size yanmar excavator good for general work. I usually rent t135 or t145 tak machines. Usually need a size perfect for septic system install, basement digging, and three foot wide trench digging. Need to able to haul behind a diesel f350. Want a mass popular size. Nothing odd.
I am open to Yanmar even though my fleet of machines is always cat or deere with exceptions.
What Yanmar size is best? I am ok with reasonably used as well. I mechanic on my own machines and condition over year model is an ok perspective. How many hours is too much? Price range?

I wish I could get a size and class that I could later update to a tiltrotator design. A pump strong enough for various attachments such as bushhogg etc....

I am In georgia USA. I hear there is a Yanmar headquarters in the state. Shouldn't be hard to get parts and prices should be on par with cat and deere?