• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Worst backhoes

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
Ran a710 b model for about 13000 hrs thing was huge! Really good machine able to set manholes pretty easy thing was a beast!Then we got a new 410 g also nice machine big fan of the JDs Around my house my 580k serves me well for an older machine.

Shimmy1

710 Jd is an odd duck. old 610's are similar weight, HP, components to a same era 510 or newer 410 so they couldn't have had that much wrong with them.
Not saying there is anything wrong with the 610/710, just that they are way more machine than a newbie has any business messing around with. JMHO

DaveA

i Like the case 580's C or newer when buying one. Stay away from the rotery swing motors on the back hoes. stay away from the early gear style shuttles., like Ford and IH had. The coller that slides between forward and reverse gears. is a hard one to find. The WG ( not borg werrner} clutch style shuttles are hard to find parts for. allis used them. Before buying look for parts advaialilty for the basic componets that go bad. like the shuttle clutchs, the torque converter. Hydrolic pumps. brakes. Look around and see what people are using in your area . It useuly means parts are around, and they are good macines. I should have stepped on a lot of toes by now

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
No, No, no. Go to a ritchie bros auction. Buy the older looking one with that nice shiny new paint job, especially if the hoses and wiring is all painted too. The new paint is the evidence of the loving care the machine has had.

Of course buy it only because you have absolutely no idea of dirtworking, but you're a expert in a totally different field, and of course that will translate. You'll pick it up as you go along.

Then post 567 questions on the equipment forums, such as "how does the grease get into the machine?" "Can you use the bucket to scrape the ice off the windows?" "Can you climb into the machine from the door on either side? and how does the door open? Does it close the same way?" "Can you dig with the back bucket, AND dig with the thingy on the back, at the same time? Then you can dig twice as fast right?"

Don't buy a owners manual, and if you do- don't read it. Just post up all 567 questions here.

Of course then you must take it out, and dig various holes all over your property. Especially right along the road and driveway (don't bother with one call- that's too complicated). Better yet- go dig all along the neighbor's property by the road, where the plastic red and white little poles are.

Throw some branches through the back window. Hang the rear frame up on a stump of a tree you just cut down. Then variously rev it through all the gears, shifting back and forth as fast as you can and jamming on the brakes also, trying to unstump yourself. Totally extend the extendahoe and try to drag yourself off the stump. Swing and bang it off the oak tree, to slide the rear off the stump. Tie it to your trailer house.

Fill the fuel system from the old farmers tank that was on the property when you bought it, diesel lasts forever. Don't get new batteries, build a solar to AC to pony motor conversion and belt drive it off your harley to start when its -37 degrees. Forget to put the cap on the hyd tank after trying to put the diesel in it because it looks like a fuel tank.

Go ahead and weld up that crack that appeared at the bottom of the tower, next to the DO NOT WELD DUCTILE IRON stamp. With the 110v welder from Harbor Freight. Grind the steel that your scabbing over the crack on the boom, by the hydraulic tank that you left the cap off- its got filters- it will be fine. It will soak up the rain that got in the tank. Complain that the new paint covered the bondo on the crack.

Then call Vetech63 or funwithfuel to fix the rear end, transmission, fuel and hydraulic system, and bent extendahoe. After partially disassembling it yourself. And not marking anything. Their wives need Christmas too.
Do you need a hug today? You seem a little grouchy!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I started with a JD 410. A fine tractor except no one understood the hydraulic system. It was a real education getting it fixed.
Next was a Case 580K, tractor hadn't been loved enough.
Found a very well loved, low hour 580K. Swapped out the extend a hoe & joystick system, painted the first one & sold.
Bought a JD 410C.
September, I sold Case & JD, bought a newer Case.

Until now, I've had bad luck with John Deere parts availability, but excellent with Case.
JD is a smoother operating system, a lot less jerking around with the hoe.

emmett518

No, No, no. Go to a ritchie bros auction. Buy the older looking one with that nice shiny new paint job, especially if the hoses and wiring is all painted too. The new paint is the evidence of the loving care the machine has had.

Of course buy it only because you have absolutely no idea of dirtworking, but you're a expert in a totally different field, and of course that will translate. You'll pick it up as you go along.

Then post 567 questions on the equipment forums, such as "how does the grease get into the machine?" "Can you use the bucket to scrape the ice off the windows?" "Can you climb into the machine from the door on either side? and how does the door open? Does it close the same way?" "Can you dig with the back bucket, AND dig with the thingy on the back, at the same time? Then you can dig twice as fast right?"

Don't buy a owners manual, and if you do- don't read it. Just post up all 567 questions here.

Of course then you must take it out, and dig various holes all over your property. Especially right along the road and driveway (don't bother with one call- that's too complicated). Better yet- go dig all along the neighbor's property by the road, where the plastic red and white little poles are.

Throw some branches through the back window. Hang the rear frame up on a stump of a tree you just cut down. Then variously rev it through all the gears, shifting back and forth as fast as you can and jamming on the brakes also, trying to unstump yourself. Totally extend the extendahoe and try to drag yourself off the stump. Swing and bang it off the oak tree, to slide the rear off the stump. Tie it to your trailer house.

Fill the fuel system from the old farmers tank that was on the property when you bought it, diesel lasts forever. Don't get new batteries, build a solar to AC to pony motor conversion and belt drive it off your harley to start when its -37 degrees. Forget to put the cap on the hyd tank after trying to put the diesel in it because it looks like a fuel tank.

Go ahead and weld up that crack that appeared at the bottom of the tower, next to the DO NOT WELD DUCTILE IRON stamp. With the 110v welder from Harbor Freight. Grind the steel that your scabbing over the crack on the boom, by the hydraulic tank that you left the cap off- its got filters- it will be fine. It will soak up the rain that got in the tank. Complain that the new paint covered the bondo on the crack.

Then call Vetech63 or funwithfuel to fix the rear end, transmission, fuel and hydraulic system, and bent extendahoe. After partially disassembling it yourself. And not marking anything. Their wives need Christmas too.

Thanks to the ability to ask 567 questions, and get cogent answers, I was able to take what I read in the manual, and add to it so that I didn't get hurt, and didn't destroy the hoe. I was very happy that no one got nasty, and I was able to learn.

Getting a piece of heavy equipment is a whole new thing for most people. Nothing you learn about cars, or normal manual trades applies, so it's like diving into the deep end with no preparation. Thanks to this forum, I was able to succeed.

Isn't that why this forum exists?

edgephoto

Thanks to the ability to ask 567 questions, and get cogent answers, I was able to take what I read in the manual, and add to it so that I didn't get hurt, and didn't destroy the hoe. I was very happy that no one got nasty, and I was able to learn.

Getting a piece of heavy equipment is a whole new thing for most people. Nothing you learn about cars, or normal manual trades applies, so it's like diving into the deep end with no preparation. Thanks to this forum, I was able to succeed.

Isn't that why this forum exists?

Yes the forum exists so people can help each other. I think the @crane operator was being a bit sarcastic in his reply. Like I said I am no expert by any means. If you have automotive knowledge it helps but does not make you an expert in the repair of a backhoe. Yes reading the manual is important, reading good info here and other places is extremely helpful.

Operating equipment is not brain surgery. However, it does take skill practice and experience. It also takes mistakes to learn.

Some have done something for so long they forget that some people do not have their knowledge. So far here everyone has been very patient even when someone seems to ask a very basic question. If they are asking it is because it is not basic to them.

Good luck OP in your search for a machine

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Yes the forum exists so people can help each other. I think the @crane operator was being a bit sarcastic in his reply. Like I said I am no expert by any means. If you have automotive knowledge it helps but does not make you an expert in the repair of a backhoe. Yes reading the manual is important, reading good info here and other places is extremely helpful.

Operating equipment is not brain surgery. However, it does take skill practice and experience. It also takes mistakes to learn.

Some have done something for so long they forget that some people do not have their knowledge. So far here everyone has been very patient even when someone seems to ask a very basic question. If they are asking it is because it is not basic to them.

Good luck OP in your search for a machine
Case 580M no electronics other than instrument panel.
Sadly, Case 580 Super N is not as simple.
I bought mine used, looking to be in excellent condition. Within 24 hours I had numerous alarm codes. Back to the dealer for diagnosis. It has a bad sensor in the fuel tank, a bad water sensor in the fuel filter. The problem with it refusing to go into 1st gear seems corrected. It gives a time for oil change alarm despite having just been done. We haven't figured out how to reset that one.
It alarms when the seat isn't latched forward or reverse, when I want to move a few feet without turning the seat around, when the normal act of moving, as I reach for the emergency brake switch, etc. etc. Worse than a nagging wife!

Oh, parts backordered for months. This on a model still in production!

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I've always been partial to Case because of the guys at the dealership. These guys are both a Case Construction, and Case/IH dealer so will look into the databases, (and books) to find a part called obsolete, or NLA on one side, to find what you need. They've come through several times for me in the past doing this.

A good Deere parts person would do the same I'm sure.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
A good Deere parts person would do the same I'm sure.

Any good parts person period!! This is why I say find a good dealer near you.

I had a problem with my New Holland. Messick's didn't even hesitate to call NH engineering, and get back to me ASAP with official NH bulletins...Yea, good parts people are worth their weight in gold!!

On another note, Trope has not checked back in since his third post...did we scare him off???

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
There is only one Case industrial dealer in VT. Coincidentally, they share my last name. I once went in looking for a stock sort of a part. Making out the slip, the guy wanted to know how to spell my last name. I looked at him. Was this a failed attempt at a joke? I don't think it was.

The New Hampshire dealer I've always dealt with 30 miles closer has lost the new sales portion of the business. They will continue as a parts & service only Case dealer. No Case part has ever been NLA, except where there are substitution part numbers. Substitute parts have always worked fine. Typically, it's a 48 hour wait to get new parts & many essential items are in stock. These people have been wonderful! & my newest until now was 1988 model.

The back ordered parts are a simple back order.

Shimmy1

No Case part has ever been NLA, except where there are substitution part numbers. Substitute parts have always worked fine. Typically, it's a 48 hour wait to get new parts & many essential items are in stock. These people have been wonderful! & my newest until now was 1988 model.

You've obviously never tried to get parts for a 780C. I know when we got rid of it in 2007 parts for that Clark transmission were non-existent.

emmett518

I love my Deere 310L, and the local dealer is decent for service. I realize that no one buys a hoe based on aethetics, but I like the way the 310L looks, is laid out, and designed physically.

aighead

Seems as though @crane operator has been looking through my post history!

I went with New Holland and have so far been lucky to not need much. I don't know that I'll have a whole lot of luck finding local service. Swetz has been a big help but I'm sure there'll be a point where he expects me to pay him!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My friend is in a family business started in 1953. They have exclusively had Ford or New Holland backhoes. He pointed out the New Holland sloping hood lets you see the ground both sides of the loader bucket.

emmett518

Sadly, Case 580 Super N is not as simple.
I bought mine used, looking to be in excellent condition. Within 24 hours I had numerous alarm codes. Back to the dealer for diagnosis. It has a bad sensor in the fuel tank, a bad water sensor in the fuel filter. The problem with it refusing to go into 1st gear seems corrected. It gives a time for oil change alarm despite having just been done. We haven't figured out how to reset that one.
It alarms when the seat isn't latched forward or reverse, when I want to move a few feet without turning the seat around, when the normal act of moving, as I reach for the emergency brake switch, etc. etc. Worse than a nagging wife!

Oh, parts backordered for months. This on a model still in production!

Everything is backordered. COVID and government reaction to same has trashed the manufacturing and distribution system.