• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Worst backhoes

TROP

Looking to get a used backhoe. Which brand/make should I avoid. Any help on this issue would be great.

edgephoto

I am far from an expert but I can tell you I am glad I bought a Cat. Parts are pretty readily available at my local dealer. If they don't have it in stock it is only a day or two away. I have only found stuff like body parts are no longer available from the dealer. I have ordered stuff like hydraulic pipes, heater valve linkage, clips, latches for doors, etc. My machine is a 426 built around 1989.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums TROP!

What do you want to do with the machine?

For backhoes one brand to steer clear of - TEREX.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
The deere and case hoes have a certain series ( year) where..... after that point, major components of the drivetrain were able to be serviced without "splitting the tractor". ( JD 310 "b" vs a "C" ) ( think I have that correct;))
I would research that as a beginning point. Not sure about the other brands with regard to that point.
Any thing will need service at some point...... and with a used unit that could come sooner rather than later. The older the deere, the more difficult to source parts is what I have found/heard. Not so with Case.... from what I've seen ( no 1st hand there).
The best advise is to operate the machine.... you need to see it at operating temps.. and need to get an idea of how tight ( or not) all those pins/bushings are. This might mean you need to take some 'advisor' along for the look see.
A lot depends on your price point as to where you might be on the 'wear meter'.

Delmer

Do you want one "turn key" or do you expect to buy a fixer upper, and become the best guy around to fix that model? Plenty of newer backhoes, and plenty of fixer uppers available also. The older you go, the less the particular model matters, and the more the care and condition of the particular one you find matters more.

If you want one that is most trouble free, I wouldn't argue with a clean 580 K or M, I think after that they get lots more electronic controls, and those don't age the best on backhoes that don't get used much.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
Big fan of the case 580 series,if you can find an older one in good shape before all the electronic stuff,not to bad to work on,pretty good supply of parts.The John Deere’s are really nice as well all about the condition and how they were maintained.

redranch

If your looking at a older Case 580c I know some maybe all had a drive shaft from torque converter to the Transaxle. Makes it nice to remove it , can be done easy. Unbolt it , raise up with stabilizers, take wheels off and drag out with hoe.

westerner

It may be the particular dealers I (used to) work with (I am retired from this game).
My experience is that Case machines and parts are numerous. I had less trouble with them than I did the Cat 426D machines we had .
JD parts were not well supported.

When my neighbor decides to sell his poor old wore out 580SE, I will put in an offer. When my old company decides to sell off their lightly used, low hour 426D machines, I will boycott the auction.

Your mileage almost certainly will vary.....

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I second Terex and anything with a rotary swing in the no category.

Deere, Case, Cat would be my top 3 backhoe picks if I was looking.

JL Sargent

Owning a backhoe is expensive. Renting might be the way to go. If you must own one, a 2000ish year model can typically work circles around a 1980ish model.

crane operator

Or better yet, rent someone with a backhoe so you can just stand there and point at stuff.

No, No, no. Go to a ritchie bros auction. Buy the older looking one with that nice shiny new paint job, especially if the hoses and wiring is all painted too. The new paint is the evidence of the loving care the machine has had.

Of course buy it only because you have absolutely no idea of dirtworking, but you're a expert in a totally different field, and of course that will translate. You'll pick it up as you go along.

Then post 567 questions on the equipment forums, such as "how does the grease get into the machine?" "Can you use the bucket to scrape the ice off the windows?" "Can you climb into the machine from the door on either side? and how does the door open? Does it close the same way?" "Can you dig with the back bucket, AND dig with the thingy on the back, at the same time? Then you can dig twice as fast right?"

Don't buy a owners manual, and if you do- don't read it. Just post up all 567 questions here.

Of course then you must take it out, and dig various holes all over your property. Especially right along the road and driveway (don't bother with one call- that's too complicated). Better yet- go dig all along the neighbor's property by the road, where the plastic red and white little poles are.

Throw some branches through the back window. Hang the rear frame up on a stump of a tree you just cut down. Then variously rev it through all the gears, shifting back and forth as fast as you can and jamming on the brakes also, trying to unstump yourself. Totally extend the extendahoe and try to drag yourself off the stump. Swing and bang it off the oak tree, to slide the rear off the stump. Tie it to your trailer house.

Fill the fuel system from the old farmers tank that was on the property when you bought it, diesel lasts forever. Don't get new batteries, build a solar to AC to pony motor conversion and belt drive it off your harley to start when its -37 degrees. Forget to put the cap on the hyd tank after trying to put the diesel in it because it looks like a fuel tank.

Go ahead and weld up that crack that appeared at the bottom of the tower, next to the DO NOT WELD DUCTILE IRON stamp. With the 110v welder from Harbor Freight. Grind the steel that your scabbing over the crack on the boom, by the hydraulic tank that you left the cap off- its got filters- it will be fine. It will soak up the rain that got in the tank. Complain that the new paint covered the bondo on the crack.

Then call Vetech63 or funwithfuel to fix the rear end, transmission, fuel and hydraulic system, and bent extendahoe. After partially disassembling it yourself. And not marking anything. Their wives need Christmas too.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Or better yet, rent someone with a backhoe so you can just stand there and point at stuff.

All the while holding a can of your favorite beverage;):D

Hey Trope...I recently worked with a guy that we called Trope...was short for his last name.

Anyhow, as to your question. I agree, that there are machines that are stay away from machines. That said, without the proper support even one of the "better" machines can be a nightmare when they break down.

Another thought...as new as you can afford! Many of the machines got better over the years. That coupled with the ability to acquire parts more readily.

So to me, find out what brands are serviced locally. Find out if the dealer is any good, then look for the newest model that the wallet will allow.

I personally think that if you buy any of the major brands such as JD, Case, NH, Cat, you will not be disappointed in their ability, given that they are working properly.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If I were to buy a 2000's model backhoe in my neck of the woods it would be a Deere and I own a 2003 420DIT bought new..and I'm a Cat guy.

Take it for what it's worth.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
If your looking at a older Case 580c I know some maybe all had a drive shaft from torque converter to the Transaxle. Makes it nice to remove it , can be done easy. Unbolt it , raise up with stabilizers, take wheels off and drag out with hoe.
The C series was the first Case with the component system and I would go no earlier than that, The earlier were basically farm tractors specially adapted for utility use but solid chassis which made servicing the power shuttle and transmission hard work, A good mechanic can have the reverser on the floor in 45 minutes on a C-D-E- early K.

Shimmy1

Stay away from any Case machine that has a 6 or a 7 as the first number unless you are an expert mechanic, and have some heavy equipment experience. I'm not necessarily putting any 680 or 780 down, but they are not machines for the inexperienced. Period. Same goes for Deere.

Delmer

710 Jd is an odd duck. old 610's are similar weight, HP, components to a same era 510 or newer 410 so they couldn't have had that much wrong with them.