1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Worn Sprockets

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by Muffler Bearing, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Muffler Bearing

Muffler Bearing Senior Member

Truck Mechanic
    Has anyone seen teeth so worn they break off? A coworker told me he's seen teeth with a razor edge. Just wondering what the extreme limit is :) IMG_6901.JPG

2. Hobbytime

Hobbytime Senior Member

wow those are worn, you got your moneys worth out of them...

3. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Bobcat?

On my Takeuchi TL150 machines, I've run the sprockets thru 4 sets of tracks before changing them, and never were they worn more than, say, 20%.

I only guessed bobcat because my 864h machines ate every, and I mean every, undercarriage part before a 1000h. Danced a jig the day my 3 863g and 2 864h machines went to auction.

4. Muffler Bearing

Muffler Bearing Senior Member

Truck Mechanic
    CASE, I think it was around 3000 hrs

5. crewchief888

crewchief888 Senior Member

when they start to look like a circular saw blade, it's time to change them. when they wear far enough for the track to slip and you're out of adjustment on the tensioner, you shoulda changed them 6 months ago.. :)

around here sprockets will last through 3 or 4 sets of tracks... by then the rear rollers start to look like rounded off sprockets as well....

when i worked at a deere dealer down in florida, we serviced a LOT of small dozers. new chains and sprockets had a life of about 500 hours, by then the drive side of the track bushings were worn, and the adjuster was at the end of it's travel
    we'd pull the track chains, turn the pins and bushings, flip the sprockets from side to side, and them run them until destruction. it wasnt unusual to have 4 or 5 of them sitting outside the shop waiting on the track pins and bushings to get turned and reassembled...:confused:

:eek:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I've seen a lot of worn undercarriage on Deere machines but all got way more than 500 hours before mid life. Were your machines running in silica sand or maybe coral?

7. crewchief888

crewchief888 Senior Member

central florida has some of the most abrasive sand you'll find anywhere. add in they sometimes mix crushed shell to the limerock and clay they use for sub base...