• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

World's Largest Equipment Manufacturers

jd270

really is that all you think they make you are sadly mistakin i think you are forgeting all the implements and combines and cotton pickers they make there skids and a bunch of logging stuff and dozers up to a certain size...........my dad retired out of deere with 36 years my uncle just retired out hes was in experimental and my aunt just retired from deere also.......

rexdibble

Occupation
Heavy Equipment sales
I'll give you the implements forgot about those. With all that family experience seems like you should have known about them not making most of their construction equipment and some of their ag. Are they building the high speed dozer? Looks like a 9000 series just yellow? Wonder where the idea came from for the tracks? We'll see if their design is any better?

rexdibble

Occupation
Heavy Equipment sales
Not sure if you can answer this but since your Uncle was in experimental. Did they ever complete the tractor they built in 2005 or so that was GPS operated? Looked like a bumper car almost, hard to describe.

jd270

oh yea i guess i did forget about their sprayers .........we only have a few things in the construction side a 270 skid and a 555g crawler loader and a old ih 175 but i farm for a living and own 15 deere tractors and 2 combines more deere implements than i can count and since it costs a good 400,000 to get int o a new combine i guess i would know a few things about the ag side

Abscraperguy

Sorry have to disagree with you on that one. They don't make their excavators,loaders,dozers and haul trucks (as stated earlier in this thread). I think they make their 6000,7000,8000 series tractors. Midsize tractors used to be made in India. Not sure on the compact tractors anymore. The value line tractors are all rebadged tractors. You might be right on the mowers though.

Anymore Komatsu is the only manufacturer that designs and builds the majority of their components. I think Cat and Komatsu are the only companies that have forging plants still.

I don't know where you get your info. 5000 series tractors are built in Augusta, Georgia, 6000 series in Mannheim, Germany, 7000 & 8000 series built in Waterloo, Iowa. For quite a few years Deere rebadged Yanmar tractors up to about the 35-40 hp range but don't know if they do anymore. Other than that Deere's tractors may come from overseas but wherever they come from Deere built them.

Their dozers up to 850 size and loader and maybe even backhoes are built in Dubuque or Moline Iowa. I was under the impression that Deere "bought" their excavators from Hitachi but that's not the case. I believe they are built in USA somewhere with a few Deere components with the engine being the major one. All their forestry equipment is built in Ontario somewhere. I believe they kept the Timberjack plants running when they bought them out. The haul trucks (Bell) and the 1050 and bigger dozers (Liehberr) and crawler loaders (Liehberr) are the only pure rebadgings. The rest have at least some Deere components.

As far as a casting plant Deere has one as well. In Waterloo they cast their engine blocks as well as a few major components such as axles, transmission cases etc. If you would count Deere's subsidary Funk Power they might be building more of their own components than Cat or Komatsu.

rexdibble

Occupation
Heavy Equipment sales
An International how did that sneak into your fleet? Yeah you should know something about the ag side with that many machines. Seems like everybody assumes a good old American company like Deere makes all of their equipment but in reality they import/rebadge a lot of equipment. Facts are facts that's all I was trying to point out. Our family farm is all green by the way.

alco

Seems like everybody assumes a good old American company like Deere makes all of their equipment but in reality they import/rebadge a lot of equipment. Facts are facts that's all I was trying to point out.

Unfortunately, it seems as if it may be you who has the facts wrong here. They do import and rebadge trackloaders, the 950J and 1050J dozers, the articulated trucks, and the smallest of the wheel loaders. They do make all of their dozers from the 850J on down. The rest of the loaders are made in Davenport Iowa, and the excavators are built at a plant owned by the Deere Hitachi joint venture in Kernersville NC. So two of their product lines are made overseas and imported, and a couple of machines in other lines are imported. I think that would disqualify the idea that they rebadge most of their equipment. You are right about one thing though, facts are facts.

jd270

they all worked at the ankeney plant he worked mostly on the cottonpickers......i dont run all green i also have 2 8970 newhollands and a tg 285 newholland as far as the ih175 it has a 4in 1 on it i just love that old loader

rexdibble

Occupation
Heavy Equipment sales
That map is interesting. Looks like we all were right kind of. They have a ton of worlwide locations! Have a lot in the U.S. as well. Deere was one of the companies on the list that surprised me for their postion. I would have guessed them a few spots lower on the list.

farm_boy

There are a number of folks on here that have made the point that Deere is FAR from a rebadging company. I will attempt to truly clear the water here, at least from a construction equipment side.

Out of the 122 models of construction and forestry equipment that Deere makes (excluding the felling heads that could go on anyone's excavator) Deere manufactures in their own factories 95 of them. Of the 27 that are not manufactured in a Deere factory, 19 of those are excavators or forestry swing machines that are built by Hitachi for the Deere-Hitachi joint venture. Its actually splitting hairs on the excavators anyway since Deere has sales and marketing responsibility for ALL Hitachi products in North America anyway. So that leaves 8 models that are "rebadged", 3 of which are crawler loaders which Deere has announced will be coming in house. So that really leaves 5 models (244J, 304J, 344J, 950J & 1050J) that Liebherr builds for Deere. Of these 5 models, Deere has placed a lot of feedback into making them much better fitted for the North American market.

I can see how this could have been perceived a few short years ago. Deere has gone a long way to bring more products in house and get away from rebadging every gap in the product line.

One last point. Did you know that Deere is currently the ONLY manfacturer to produce an American built motorgrader? That is until Cat gets their factory built in AR and Volvo completes their move to SC from Canada.

PAcattech

Occupation
CAT field service tech (31yrs)
One last point. Did you know that Deere is currently the ONLY manfacturer to produce an American built motorgrader?

Farmboy that is incorrect Cat builds motor graders in decatur ill. Ive been through the assembly line last september

farm_boy

Farmboy that is incorrect Cat builds motor graders in decatur ill. Ive been through the assembly line last september

Are you talking Sept 09 or Sept 08? It is my belief that earlier this year they shut down MG production in NA and continued bringing in graders from Brazil in preparation for the move to AR.

drag1line

Been to a certain equipment yard who stores IMPORTED EQUIPMENT..
Bunch of CAT BRAZILIAN GRADERS!!!
Next some one will say they build Excavators here..Wrong too.
Small Dozers...WRONG too. and so on.
Really becoming a world manufacturing whether we like it or not.