• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

World's Largest Equipment Manufacturers

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Here is KHL’s list of the world’s largest equipment makers by revenue. (KHL is a construction-industry media group with titles such as International Construction.) Interesting to note the significance of merger/acquisition activity. Check out the frequency of Chinese manufacturers between No.s 19 and 50.

http://www.khl.com/news/article.asp?articleid=5459&magazineid=6

Story here shows a pie chart comparing market shares of the top 10.

L

1 Caterpillar
2 Komatsu
3 Terex
4 Volvo Construction Equipment
5 Liebherr
6 Hitachi Construction Machinery
7 John Deere
8 CNH
9 Sandvik Mining and Construction
10 JCB
11 Atlas Copco CMT
12 Metso Minerals
13 Manitowoc Crane Group
14 Oshkosh Access Equipment (JLG)
15 Hyundai Heavy Industries
16 Doosan Infracore
17 Kobelco Construction Machinery
18 Wirtgen Group
19 Xuzhou Construction Machinery Group (XCMG)
20 Manitou
21 Ammann
22 Putzmeister
23 Sumitomo Heavy Industries
24 Hiab
25 Tadano
26 Sany Heavy Industries
27 Fayat Group
28 Changsha Zoomlion
29 Guangxi Liugong
30 Wacker Neuson Group
31 Palfinger
32 Haulotte Group
33 Kubota
34 Astec Industries
35 Bauer
36 Altec Industries
37 Xiamen Xiagong Group
38 Telcon
39 Bell Equipment
40 Bharat Earth Movers Ltd. (BEML)
41 Takeuchi
42 Boart Longyear
43 Furukawa
44 Aichi
45 Shantui
46 China Infrastructure Machinery Holdings (Longgong)
47 Merlo
48 Skyjack
49 Gehl
50 Kato Works

Last edited:

Northart

Global Business ?

Looks like the Saudis are absent from the large construction equipment business. And the Russians . Considering their wealth of Oil and Gas.

Senator215i

Occupation
operator/maintainer for QLD rail
CAT is a bit of a given. Your surprised at the position of Kubota and Takeuchi, you have to take in to account that they maybe big in their areas they target being mini/midi size diggers/track loaders but in the bigger picture they're not really big players at all compaired to all the companies in the top ten

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
I haven't seen anything. Chances are, it's compiled round the first quarter when companies are reporting annual revs from the previous year.

special tool

I haven't seen anything. Chances are, it's compiled round the first quarter when companies are reporting annual revs from the previous year.

You used the word "makers" in your initial post.
Did you mean to use the word "seller"?
For example - I don't think John Deere is that big in actual manufacturing, are they - they are pretty much a paint and decal store now, are they not?

Ross

Interesting Table.

Construction equipment only tho eh?

Companys like Volvo make cars and Highway trucks as well .. And what about Hitachi .. They make electronics ..

Abscraperguy

You used the word "makers" in your initial post.
Did you mean to use the word "seller"?
For example - I don't think John Deere is that big in actual manufacturing, are they - they are pretty much a paint and decal store now, are they not?

Their best sellers with the exception of their excavators are all "homebuilt". And in the case of Bell they use Bell's trucks but check out Bell's website it's mostly rebadged Deere. I personally think to form "marriages" with other mfg's to round out your product line is great as long as it doesn't water down your own product. Look at the Terex group. It's a big group of small companies.

In those rankings the equipment they mfg for Bell or Leihberr is it included in the Deere or Bell/Leihberr total?

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
Their best sellers with the exception of their excavators are all "homebuilt". And in the case of Bell they use Bell's trucks but check out Bell's website it's mostly rebadged Deere. I personally think to form "marriages" with other mfg's to round out your product line is great as long as it doesn't water down your own product. Look at the Terex group. It's a big group of small companies.

In those rankings the equipment they mfg for Bell or Leihberr is it included in the Deere or Bell/Leihberr total?

I also wondered about that, but it is true that so many companies are 'married' as you so nicely put it. Though I'll take a guess and say that Bell's sales of, say graders, is put under as Deere grader sales as well as Bell's grader sales. I would say that the same works for the Bell ADTs that are rebadged as John Deeres or Hitachis, if that makes sense? As for Bell's product line, most of it's sales come in the form of homebuilt backhoes, tractors, ADTs and tri-wheelers, as well as scraper tractors, or as we call them, haulers. The products that are not their own would be the excavators (Kato Works), wheel loaders, graders and bulldozers (Rebadged John Deere), whilst the TLB uses mostly JD components, but the side shift frame is built in S.A. Also, the forestry products are mainly John Deere. The miniature loaders, the three smallest in the Bell line-up are Liebherr.

Abscraperguy

I also wondered about that, but it is true that so many companies are 'married' as you so nicely put it. Though I'll take a guess and say that Bell's sales of, say graders, is put under as Deere grader sales as well as Bell's grader sales. I would say that the same works for the Bell ADTs that are rebadged as John Deeres or Hitachis, if that makes sense? As for Bell's product line, most of it's sales come in the form of homebuilt backhoes, tractors, ADTs and tri-wheelers, as well as scraper tractors, or as we call them, haulers. The products that are not their own would be the excavators (Kato Works), wheel loaders, graders and bulldozers (Rebadged John Deere), whilst the TLB uses mostly JD components, but the side shift frame is built in S.A. Also, the forestry products are mainly John Deere. The miniature loaders, the three smallest in the Bell line-up are Liebherr.

I thought Deere built backhoes for Bell but now I found it different. Same design it's just that Bell builds there's in South Afica.

This explains it.
http://www.bellequipment.com/live/internet/homepage.nsf/Home.htm?OpenForm

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
They really are up there with Caterpillar and New Holland, which suffer tremendous popularity here, along with JCB being the most common amongst smaller contractors, like owner operators, that sort of thing. Most Plant hirers use Caterpillar machines, but don't shy away from Bell or New Holland and JCB either.

Many operators swear by them, as they come from a 'local' brand name, and are very rugged and cheaper than the Cats, JCB's, Volvo's and Komatsu's. I've heard a lot of grumblings about the old G series machines having rather weak transmissions, but mostly from guys who used the machines and then replaced them with New Hollands(Don't they also use ZF trannies?) before the J series was released, so they're not able to tell me if the transmissions have improved...

But overall, they are very popular, and bode well with construction companies who don't hire in or hire out their machines.

rexdibble

Occupation
Heavy Equipment sales
This is an interesting list. I knew who the top two would be but there were some surprises for me.

Deere is a rebadge company anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong but they only actually manufacture backhoes and some of the larger ag tractors right?

jd270

they make all of there ag stuff and lawn tractors and most of their heavy equipment

rexdibble

Occupation
Heavy Equipment sales
Sorry have to disagree with you on that one. They don't make their excavators,loaders,dozers and haul trucks (as stated earlier in this thread). I think they make their 6000,7000,8000 series tractors. Midsize tractors used to be made in India. Not sure on the compact tractors anymore. The value line tractors are all rebadged tractors. You might be right on the mowers though.

Anymore Komatsu is the only manufacturer that designs and builds the majority of their components. I think Cat and Komatsu are the only companies that have forging plants still.

Last edited: