• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working in Alaska pictures

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
The ridgeback loved his ride on the dozer. That is a nice lake we built there, unfortunately that is our gravel pit. We had a big 100 year flood this fall, water table came up about 10'.
It created quite a bit of work rebuilding the town, good for us not so good for the residents.

Attachments

• IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 2,740
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 2,741
  • IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 2,735
  • IMG_1706.JPG
    IMG_1706.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 2,740

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
I just bought that loader this fall, its older like everything else. But seems to be a pretty solid! First thing my guy did was get her stuck! We had 3/4- in the bucket why we couldnt push it out on its own.
Did some logging with the old western star, putting in a ATT tower with Steelhead inc out of WA. Couple of really good operators!

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Merry Christmas everyone!

Moose.jpg

We have now moved on to the snowplowing side of things.

IMG_2124.JPG

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Yes of course! Doesn't everybody in Alaska get gold? haha this was actually a pretty amazing deal, our family has been mining this area on and off since the 60's and have never found anything this big, until we found this!
Here is the video from when it happened, it was pretty exciting! http://youtu.be/GEahEldhoo8

Attachments

• IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 2,445
  • IMG_2686.JPG
    IMG_2686.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 2,442

FirstEliminator

Ah, you guys like the old Fords. They are my favorite trucks. We have 2 Broncos a 78 and a 79. 78 F-150, 78 F-250 and 79 F-350 crew cab. Looks like a fun trip except the broken foot. I was looking at the Youtube comments and some asked what do you do if you break a trans? Well, you should take me along. I own a transmission shop. But, sometimes you need parts to fix things.

Mark

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Yeah, that old truck has been through some hell. They are great old trucks for sure. Tranny problems always make me cringe, it would be nice to have someone along to fix them! I'll give you a call next time we go out ;)

nedly05

Awesome pics! I've always wanted to go up to Alaska. It looks like you have good gravel everywhere you dig a hole, thats always a plus. Your iron looks great, how do you like your little tractor trailer? I've always wanted to set one up like that. Looks like handy little bugger!

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Thanks! Yeah the gravel is about 1'-18" nearly every time all over AK. There are some places that have a lot of loam, but for the majority its good digging as deep as you want to go. This reduces costs and hauling by exponential amounts as typically I will just dig some holes as deep as my little Excavator will go along the edge and bury all the stumps and cover with 5' of dirt to prevent settling. It works out to be a perfect trade, stumps for gravel.
As for the trailer, every other customer seems to be a tree hugger of sorts and have these crazy narrow long backwoods driveways and cauldesacs. This tractor trailer set up is awesome for that as I can get through and turned around nearly anywhere. I do wish it was a little longer tho, as I am unable to haul more than one piece at a time due to rear tire clearances. It can get old making 4 round trips to one job. But I guess there is always something else to spend your money on!

Attachments

• IMG_1577.JPG
    IMG_1577.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 2,365

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
cheers mate. Enjoys your pictures and story. very nice piece of that 'yellow' stuff you,ve got in your hand. Not so keen on that other funny white stuff you have tho !!! [never snows where i am ]
Cheers from the other end of the globe, and have a safe and merry christmas :drinkup merv

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
cheers mate. Enjoys your pictures and story. very nice piece of that 'yellow' stuff you,ve got in your hand. Not so keen on that other funny white stuff you have tho !!! [never snows where i am ]
Cheers from the other end of the globe, and have a safe and merry christmas :drinkup merv
Thanks Merv and Merry Christmas to you as well!

See you over on ********
Not sure what that is, but maybe we will see you there!

nedly05 said:
What do you have the tractor trailer licensed for? What are the specs on the tractor?
Its a 20ton trailer, I'm not sure about the truck its all been painted over. The previous owner wrote 80,000 on the door. I've only seen the DOT up here once in the last 3 yrs, and he stopped me! haha, I was in the dumptruck then though

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Had to go into Anchorage to get the new undercarriage for the dozer. It was a cold one! The ol' cummins never quite got up to temp.

Attachments

• IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 2,141

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Did you guys build your own sluice box?

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Which one? The little highbanker or the big one. The one we are shoveling into is made by Proline, it works good as a highbanker but not so good as a dredge.
The 40 footer was bought by my Grandpa way back in the day I am unsure of the model, every few years new riffles and slick sheet are required because they just get so hammered by boulders.
IMG_0849.JPG

Should just leave this 1000 gal. tank attached, as the ol' 18A sure likes her fuel!

IMG_0847.JPG

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yeah the little one, been thinking about making a small one to bring with me on vacation.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Yeah it is a handy little unit, it has a little 5hp honda pump that pumps the water into those pvc spray bars and you just shovel into the back there onto some grizzly bars and just rake the big stuff off and hope the little stuff falls through and you turn the bottom yellow!IMG_2704.JPGIMG_0873.JPG