• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Window Maker

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Our guys break alot of rock when building rockeries. In the process they also break a couple of kicker windows a year at $200 a pop.
Window.jpg

I decided to make them out of 1/4 inch Lexan at a cost of $45 but it turned out to be too ridged to fit in the curve track.

So with some spare time on my hands last winter I made this oven/press gizmo powered by a heat gun. The first widow looked like a lasagna noodle but the next turned out good and fit right. The window in the pic is Lexan.

Closed.JPG

Open.JPG

k.key

Occupation
Mechanic Self Employed
Nice jig Rob, loook like it works well....

RobVG

Occupation
A rock guard would protect the window but half our walls are down walls were the machine is on the top of the cut. Operators need a clear view to the toe.

The window in the pic was the first and believe it or not it's just dirty. I haven't had to polish it yet.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Great idea and job on that Rob! Maybe you should do some marketing around here. I'll bet 90% of the excavators I've seen in the last fifteen years did not have the kick windows.

To spruce up old Lexan or plexiglass I got a product from Meguiar's called PlastX. It cleaned up the fairing on my motor cycle just great. It takes a little work but is far cheaper than replacing a window in a feller buncher. I got this bottle at Schuck's.

RobVG

Occupation
Hey thanks John. And thanks for the PlastX tip, I heard of if but couldn't remember the name. I'll give it a try.