• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wildland Fire Dozers

Occupation
USFS dozer operator
Hey guys,
I am an operator for the USFS in Central Oregon. I thought I'd share some photos and see if anyone can offer some advice on the choice of a new dozer. Most of my experience is in cut-to-length logging and mulching machines so I'm pretty new to dozers. My 02 JD 700h is ready for replacement in a year or so.

The new machine needs to be a similar size or slightly larger. The transport is a dual-axle tilt deck fifth-wheel which is great for turning around in the woods compared to the "big dozer" transport that the forest has (a triple-axle lowboy carrying a D6xl).

The primary purpose of the machine is pushing fireline with some piling and road building. It will have a forestry package and I like a 10 or 11 foot blade for the ease of getting into tight areas on the transport.

-I like the JD 750k since John Deere is right down the road.

-Cat is about 30 minutes away and a D6n would be a similar size. Is there much advantage to the high track for pushing power?

Are there any other options you would recommend?

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 197

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am surprised you get any say in the matter. Usually the USFS does it their way whether it makes sense or not.

Do you go off forest much? The vast majority of fire equipment in California at least is Cat. I have seen a few John Deeres in Oregon but not many.

My thinking is if you are off forest you may have an easier time finding mechanics on fires who are familiar with Cat to patch things together and get you going again.

Occupation
USFS dozer operator
I should have some input on choosing the next machine. The fleet manager asked me what I would like, but that doesn't mean that I choose won't get shot down.

The dozer can go off forest but its primary use is IA. I think in the past 10 years it has been out twice, but maybe the prior operators haven't tried.

fencefool

Hi Dan
I don't now if you made your decision yet but in our area they are just had a D6N xl with an extended rear track frame roller delivered that helped on our ranch burn. The operator said the JD 750 were out climbing the regular 6n's so they tried one of these but it was an $18,000 increase in price. A question had for you was if there is any private contract dozer work for fires in Oregon. I'm looking at property near Terrebonne and an trying to weigh my options if I have to leave this area. I'll try to post some pictures. One is pov of the my D6B on our ranch burn.D6B.JPG P1010118.JPG P1010158.JPG

Occupation
USFS dozer operator
That's good info on the 750 climbing vs the D6n. We haven't made a decision yet and it may be a while until it happens. The fire contracting business is very competitive in Oregon, but the state and feds rely heavily on contractors so they get used quite often.