1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wieler pavers

Discussion in 'Pavers' started by Vetech63, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Not a fan so far. Customer bought a P385B Last summer, its been a constant headache. Draft arms for the screed bent in the first month(too light), the augers are made from too thin a metal so they wear quickly(again, too light). Replaced a broken conveyor adjust bolt yesterday for the left conveyor chain drive ( don't sound like much, but its a bitch and a horrible design.) Several electrical issues have downed the machine. It only has 556 hours as of yesterday.
    My area dealer cant seem to get parts very timely and field service is always over 7 days out. The auger roll plates wore holes in them at 300 hours (and yet AGAIN too thin) I just cant wait (sarcasm) to have to repair anything very deep in this thing, you should see how unserviceable a lot of the major components are.........you will have to remove gobs of crap to get to most things.

2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

624 hours...…….the machine has broken both right and left conveyor adjusting bolts ( the design is **** poor) in the last month.. Broke the right conveyor drive chain today.

3. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Sounds like my leeboy 8515t. Broke all that, plus wore out the crawler chains before 1000h.

4. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

905 hours, bearing failure on the right conveyor idler rollers. Im just going to keep a running tab on this machine. I was told last week they were buying another one. :eek: Job security I guess...….

mg2361 likes this.
  5. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

1268 hours...……….auger box roll plate replacements on both left and right sides. These were replaced under warranty by CAT when they wore holes through them at 420 hours. These replacements they have actually improved since then. The old plates were 5/16 thick, the hew ones are 1/2. They bolted right up with no mods. I do like the fact that Weiler listened and made the improvement! P385B-1.jpg P385B-2.jpg P385B-1.jpg P385B-2.jpg

6. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

……………….and I have NO idea why it posted the pics twice! I did wait 3 weeks to get these parts.

7. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

I can appreciate that they made them heavier, but, imho, they are too close to the screws.

Vetech63 likes this.
  8. TVA

TVA Senior Member

Are these branded CAT or Weiler?

9. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

I agree, and these augers have a bit of wear in them.

mg2361 likes this.
  10. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

They are branded Weiler. I'm not sure if CAT has involvement with them on a corporate/partnership or not. The only thing I have found that is CAT is the ignition switch. My local CAT dealer started selling these a few years ago. I'm just going to keep a running tab (thread) on this machine because I loathe it so much. o_O

mg2361 likes this.
  11. TVA

TVA Senior Member

I don’t know who else, but I know that both Carlson and Weiler make pavers for for CAT.
    They also have CAT controls on them, and the controls cover that is not lockable gets lost really easy when you transport them if you forgot to put bunjy cord on them - but you can buy it from Cat.

12. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    A lot of manufacturers are using cheap steel in wear areas to save $$$$$. Have had buckets wear through in 1000 hours.

13. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I believe Carlson makes the screeds that can be purchased for any paver. Weiler makes their own screeds and the pavers as well and sells them through Cat dealers. I've heard the Weiler bought the old Blount logging equipment business from Cat. Cat baled on a line again.

14. TVA

TVA Senior Member

Carlson also makes pavers, the new ones with electronics and electric over hydraulic is PITA to operate - too much of hysteresis! Operators complaining a lot, jerky movements and delays in movements makes it hard to get used to it.