• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why the Chinese manufacturers will never be on top.

Wawrecker

While I was at the Komatsu display at Conexpo I saw a couple Chinese taking pictures of a new Komatsu excavator only they had the camera deep in the bowels of the pump area. I asked a Komatsu rep what was up and he said it was Chinese engineers looking to reverse engineer the equipment and said it is very common.

I never had any intention of buying any Chinese equipment anytime soon but having witnessed this it will be a cold day in America when I do. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 4,121
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4,132

d4c24a

the big names all buy a new competitors model ,and then strip it bit by bit ,its no different really

928G Boy

I was at the cat booth and saw Sany people spying.

Imitation is the best form of flattery.

I saw people spying at New Holland and JD as well, but they weren't Chinese.

Per Eriksson

Everyone does the same, maybe not as obvious like this but rather they buy a competitors machine and tear it down inhouse.
Maybe the chinese can't afford to buy a machine for teardown?

brian falcone

i dont think this type of thing can be prevented. back in the day komatsu was know to buy one of everything cat built just to "see how it worked ". chinese equipment manufacturer LIU GONG has just purchased dressta . which built machines which are directly traced to international harvesters payline. at one time the number 2 supplier of construction equipment in the world. may not seem like a big deal but everything is for sale and i think its only a matter of time before they purchase a bigger ,more known company .it really wouldnt take much. if a few of these asian companies merged think of the buying power they would have. brian

Last edited:

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
Not a big deal........... Ford and Chevy have buying each others cars and tearing them apart for years. International and John Deere have done it also.

I can remember a time when the Japanse were at trade shows doing the same thing and now we consider them to build top of the line equipment. This too shall come to pass.

jeff112

Even if you buy a all American made piece of equipment , if there is such a thing any more,the sad thing is we all in some way are converting them into foreign machinery by the parts we replace on them, seams like you can't by much these days without the box marked Mexico,China,Japan.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
So far I haven't found a camera that would photograph the inside of a hydraulic system.

The Chinese taking photos would do a lot better to just buy the service manual and work from that. All the system operations and many if not most of the dimensions are there.

As far as excavators go, Komatsu is the only one I know of that makes all their own components. So far Komatsu hasn't copied anyone on those and I don't know of anyone who has tried to copy Komatsu.

It is a funny photo though.

Thanks

andoman

We were out there this year and didn't run across any of this but in the show before this one we watched writgen drag guys out from under pavers and mills it was very entertaining.

wnydirtguy

we have a bobcat track skidsteer that we have problems with. the dealer checked to who had it and where it has been. come to find out Cat owned it at some point. they figure Cat pulled it apart and put it together again but not the same way it came apart. so I figure all the companies do it to their competitions machines at some point. I wish they put them back the way they came apart.

DrJim

Occupation
General Dentist, including Implant Restorations
Chinese "ingenuity"

Chinese? Here is an example of what we are bombarded with daily in the dental profession--upstart Chinese cloners. Would you want your teeth cleaned with an ultrasonic scaling instrument named "Woodpecker"? Hahahahaha! As "Linda" "say", "Hope all fine". Dr. Jim

Dear Friend

Hope all fine! (*^__^*).....

It is spring here, nice season. Now we begin our promotion, will provide better discount for our clients. Such as teeth whitening pen, home use teeth whitening kit....

Now our popular product HR-DP13 begin the promotion too. It is USD995/pc now. Please see its description,it can connect with 2-hole or 4-hole handpice, with Woodpecker LED curing light,Woodpecker Ultrasonic scaler and so on. It has a beautiful outlook like a travel bag which is very convenient.

HR-DP13: USD995/pc FOB Zhengzhou

Standard Features:

2pcs 4-hole or 2 hole handpiece holder
1pc 3-way syringe
1pc Saliva ejector
1pc Ultrasonic Scaler
1pc LED curing light
1set Water Supply
1set Oilless compressor
(550W, 115L/min)
1pc 6L air tank
1pc On/Off Foot Switch

If you are interested in, please tell me,can quote delivery fee soon. And other discounted products you need,just please let me know.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Have a good day!

Best wishes
Linda

Huaer Technology Co., Ltd
Tel: 86-371-86097306
Fax: 86-371-69067368

heavylift

reminds me of the poster that told us to stop posting pictures of the 31000 Manitowoc crane... someone would build it from the photos we were posting LOL

Tommjr

Daewoo - Doosan owns Bobcat. It's coming. The sad part is, everything has a price.

nixs

As far as excavators go, Komatsu is the only one I know of that makes all their own components. So far Komatsu hasn't copied anyone on those and I don't know of anyone who has tried to copy Komatsu.

It is a funny photo though.

Thanks

Liebherr even does their own machines to build their components to their excavators. It´s funny then they calls their manufacturing plant in France for the mini excavator plant, all machines under 100 metric tons.

Silveroddo

Yeah, as everyone else said, all of them do it, I was involved with a survey where a manufacturer has 4 other brands of machine and their own lined up and we went through and rated them, I was looking at somthing on their machine and asked an engineer about it "Yeah, the hydraulic filter is located here, its sucks, give it a 1 out of 10" Some of them realize that there is room for improvement, the cocky ones think theirs is the best regardless

dayexco

the chinese will overwhelm the US excavator market with quantity and price like the japanese and koreans did to us with quality. i grew up on drott excavators...you needed things to start the day, extra hydraulic hoses, 5 gals of hyd. oil, gallon of motor oil, hydraulic hoses, anti-freeze...along comes komatsu and hitachi...that all quit. chinese are going to give the american market all that, plus a considerable cost savings.