• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why Does Everyone Hate Spicer Trans?

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Hi folks,
I have an old '85 Int'l 1954 that I drive as a service truck. I got the thing for free, stretched the frame to fit the service body, inframed the 466, and I run it pretty much just locally. I almost never even go on the highway, but I do sometimes. Slowly. I like the truck. I used to run a F350, but had that thing so over gross it was actually getting fairly dangerous. I like the fact that the Int'l is heavy and big. I don't really care so much that it's slow. I also really like the fact that it's paid for. Hah! Also, oddly, insurance is actually cheaper on the old cornbinder than the Ford was. Go figure. Anyhow, like absolutely everyone else in the world who ever started driving one of these, I hate the AT545 trans that's in there. I mean, it's ok for just driving locally, but towing or any driving in the mountains (I live in Denver), and it's just awful. I have thoroughly explored transmission options, and while I like the idea of a roadranger 10 speed, this buggy don't have air. Yes, I could install air, but I'm a lazy bum at heart. Also, I would need to install a different driveline brake. Refer back to the lazy bum part. Some of these trucks came with a Spicer 5 speed. That solves all my issues. I can even change out 5th to be a slight OD gear, which is just gravy. The Spicers have the mount on the tail for the driveline (parking) brake, and they're actually not that expensive and lots of them in junkyards. So, I'm real tempted to install one. But I find that everyone and their brother says they are complete crap and don't shift, there was even a lawsuit (like who doesn't have one of those?). So, my question is, what makes a Spicer so bad? Can they be made to shift right? Why does everyone hate them?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
What exactly is your issue with the existing transmission? What do you think a 5 speed will fix about it?

Has anybody here heard of anybody installing a Roadranger in a non air [work] truck? All it would need would be a *reliable8 small electric air compressor.

My gut feeling is the splits on the 5 speed would be so wide, you will wish you had the automatic back.

Another option would be a lockup automatic, MT 6xx series. There have to be donor trucks all over in this configuration.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
What exactly is your issue with the existing transmission? What do you think a 5 speed will fix about it?

Has anybody here heard of anybody installing a Roadranger in a non air [work] truck? All it would need would be a *reliable8 small electric air compressor.

My gut feeling is the splits on the 5 speed would be so wide, you will wish you had the automatic back.

Another option would be a lockup automatic, MT 6xx series. There have to be donor trucks all over in this configuration.

My core issue is heat. Under a heavy load, that trans just sits there and gets hotter and hotter. It also doesn't have a lockup TC, so that's lost power and a 466 isn't exactly a powerhouse - I need all the ponies I can get to the ground. Id certainly prefer a 10 speed, and I like your idea of a little compressor! Maybe then, I could get an air horn and be really obnoxious.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Meh,.. the Spicer is fine. In my fleet of old IH rigs, they probably don’t last as long as they should. But, reman units are easy to source and reasonably priced.

There certainly are other 5-7 speed options available. Look at the Eaton catalog. Consider a Mico Hydraulic parking brake vs a driveline parking brake.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I’d probably try to score a MT-653 out of another truck. Seems as though the IH CargoStars and the C series Fords used them frequently and often with the tail shaft park drum.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
FWIW our '99 4700 DT466 service truck with 5sp Spicer is slow as waiting on Christmas in January. :(

Wish it had an Allison 3000 auto in it or at least a 6+1 Spicer. The 5sp that's in the truck is good for 60 MPH - uphill, downhill, loaded or not.:rolleyes:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Never seen an S-1954 without air brakes myself. I had two of them in rollback service. Both had 5&2 drivelines with DT-466 engines and ran damned near bulletproof. I want to say the rears were Rockwell. One truck was an 83, the other an 86 and besides rust issues in the cabs, they were great.

A good trans for that chassis is either an RT-610, or RTO-6613. There are a couple around here with that driveline behind a DT-466. Have to shift them very fast, (like a gasoline engine) but there is plenty of "grunt" without being all that powerful. Decent economy too.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm pretty ignorant.

I drove an older Ford Tri axle 20 miles several years ago. At the time I thought "What a pleasant truck to drive!" It had an Eaton Fuller 10 speed.

Today, I was in the passenger seat as my son waged war on near the same transmission. Very similar Ford dump trucks, I'd say near the same transmission. I suspect the difference was the clutch. Both had Cat inline six engines, how they compare, I don't know, todays truck was rated at only 220 HP, 30 less than my own truck weighing well under half GVWR.

I had an old 1976 Chevy C65 Eaton 5 speed, Eaton two speed rear. I was always frustrated I couldn't get the hang of downshifting for intersections, or down hills. Recently, I read in a manual: "Never attempt to split shift to slow for intersections, or steep downhills. Turns out it was working as intended! Split shifting was definitely best uphill, or getting to speed loaded.

Tenwheeler

Hi folks,
I have an old '85 Int'l 1954 that I drive as a service truck. I got the thing for free, stretched the frame to fit the service body, inframed the 466, and I run it pretty much just locally. I almost never even go on the highway, but I do sometimes. Slowly. I like the truck. I used to run a F350, but had that thing so over gross it was actually getting fairly dangerous. I like the fact that the Int'l is heavy and big. I don't really care so much that it's slow. I also really like the fact that it's paid for. Hah! Also, oddly, insurance is actually cheaper on the old cornbinder than the Ford was. Go figure. Anyhow, like absolutely everyone else in the world who ever started driving one of these, I hate the AT545 trans that's in there. I mean, it's ok for just driving locally, but towing or any driving in the mountains (I live in Denver), and it's just awful. I have thoroughly explored transmission options, and while I like the idea of a roadranger 10 speed, this buggy don't have air. Yes, I could install air, but I'm a lazy bum at heart. Also, I would need to install a different driveline brake. Refer back to the lazy bum part. Some of these trucks came with a Spicer 5 speed. That solves all my issues. I can even change out 5th to be a slight OD gear, which is just gravy. The Spicers have the mount on the tail for the driveline (parking) brake, and they're actually not that expensive and lots of them in junkyards. So, I'm real tempted to install one. But I find that everyone and their brother says they are complete crap and don't shift, there was even a lawsuit (like who doesn't have one of those?). So, my question is, what makes a Spicer so bad? Can they be made to shift right? Why does everyone hate them?
My reply and question to your question is:
1. Everyone hates the AT545: I am OK with them but never drove them in the mountains while towing.
2. The 10 speed Road ranger has some advantages. Lower gears and closer splits. There is also a 13 speed with deep reduction instead of OD. That could be an advantage in the mountains.
3. The 5 speed Spicer is no so bad. Probably not do as well on the pull off as the 545.
4. Change out to a slight OD gear: That does not help you pull at all and you are not concerned about road speed?
Dt466 is a gutless wonder. It will work its heart out for you forever and ever. A different transmission can help in some cases.
We are flat landers here. One of my buddies has a DT with a 10 speed and a 2006 Dodge Cummings. Dodge will smoke the little S model pulling 20 rolls of hay every day. Only way the S model wins is brakes.
Just saying the transmission change will not get the results you want IMO.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I have an 1986 International S1954 w/o air, it's hydraulic brakes. Ripped my Spicer out and put a Eaton FS-6206A in, Fully Synchronized 6 speed rated for 620 ft. lbs of torque bolted to a DT466 mechanical. Ripped the drive line brake out, put a hydraulic line lock in for a parking brake, and installed a AutoMeter GPS speedometer in. Rears are 4:89 on mine so when I split it in 4th it climbs steady but not fast and I have fuel turned up with pyrometer. Also had to realign the pinion angle.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I can see why you don't like the heat of the AT545. I have only passing familiarity with them. But no lockup is certainly going to generate heat continuously, especially on long grades, up or down.

How hot does it get? Leaving it be is certainly the cheapest option.

An MT643 whould be the obvious choice. There were thousands of 466/643 combo trucks just like yours made. If you can find one with a bad engine and good transmission, that would be nice.

But mainly it will depend on what you can find for a used transmission. It does no good to say you would rather have x transmission when you can't find one. Also consider the effort of putting in a clutch and linkage.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Wow, lots of responses, but I never got the email notice. Geez, sorry guys I'll try to keep up.

I looked into the MT643, and I didn't find any option with the parking brake drum. I'll look some more. That would be the easiest option. Well, the easiest option would be, as Birken pointed out, leave it alone and not to tow in the mountains with this pig. I'd like to fix it though. I like everything else about this truck. It's simple, no computer, no EPA, also no ballz, but I'm hoping to fix that. I think those hydraulic like locks, even the nice ones that Coaldust pointed out, I believe have legality issues. I'm not required to get a DOT number yet, but if I do, and get inspected, they will fail me for those, if there is no other parking brake available. They can't be the main parking brake, from a legal standpoint, is all I'm saying. SpudMonkey, I read your whole thread on your trans. We're in the same boat, and that 6206 is a bit cheaper than a RT6610. I have my HX40 turbo ready to install, I'm just waiting on the time to do it. Also going to turn up the pump, and advance it a bit. I have EGT and Trans Temp gauges installed already. Max trans temp is 275, and when I was towing that tractor in the steep hills outside Evergreen, CO, I was slowly creeping up. It got up to 250, and I would stop for awhile, let it cool down, and go again. Slowly. It would start to smell like something's burning HAH. This truck is just too big for an automatic, in my opinion. I'm an old - school hands - on kinda guy anyway. I like to be in more control of heavy things :). I don't mind going slow and chugging up hills with my 4 ways on, I just don't want to be burning up stuff while doing it.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
They can't be the main parking brake, from a legal standpoint, is all I'm saying.
Not disputing you, but that to me does not make sense. Perhaps you or someone else can explain why you cannot use a micro brake or some similar as a parking brake. From what I can tell, they sell them as such. I have see many trucks over the years with them. since the driveline parking brake isn't worth the material it's made of (opinion there...)
I know within 30 minutes I will have a cognitive answer staring me in the face and I will give myself a "dope slap" for not realizing it in the first place....

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Not disputing you, but that to me does not make sense. Perhaps you or someone else can explain why you cannot use a micro brake or some similar as a parking brake. From what I can tell, they sell them as such. I have see many trucks over the years with them. since the driveline parking brake isn't worth the material it's made of (opinion there...)
I know within 30 minutes I will have a cognitive answer staring me in the face and I will give myself a "dope slap" for not realizing it in the first place....
About a million years ago, checking through the CMV regulations, I stumbled across some language that seemed to disqualify those line locks as parking brakes. And no I can’t quote you CFRs. There’s also stuff in there that says a truck as old as mine doesn’t necessarily need them either. I only know 2 things for sure; jack and $hit and jack just left town. It all boils down to whether or not I get cited IF I ever get inspected. That’s a big IF.