• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who makes your favorite skid steer?

barklee

Dave, when are you going to come off some of that cash? By now i personally think JCB should just give you a machine! You are their best salesman of all time. If they dont at least cut you a hell of a deal it will be a crime. Please buy one already i am dying to see you laugh at all these guys or eat the biggest portion of crow ever!!!
Its gotta be hard to keep defending something you dont own......

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Dave, when are you going to come off some of that cash? By now i personally think JCB should just give you a machine! You are their best salesman of all time. If they dont at least cut you a hell of a deal it will be a crime. Please buy one already i am dying to see you laugh at all these guys or eat the biggest portion of crow ever!!!
Its gotta be hard to keep defending something you dont own......

See Dave, its not only me thinking this.

dave esterns

gee, u guys must really like me! what with watching out for me n all not wanting me to get burned/waste money and such.

if worst comes to worse, once the 2 year warranty is up, we could just trade it on a case; the dealer sells both case and jcb. they say they got no trouble with resale on a jcb.

ah this will not be the first time we pulled such a stunt on the farm. bak in the day we paid almost double for an irish feed mixing machine over an american one. for the first 10 years people thought we were crazy, but the second ten years we still got her and still no problems, and everyone elses american machine is long gone. and i think she will go another 10-15 years. of course with no maintenance; it runs an hour or 2 a day, we grease and oil her up about twice a year.

the bottom line is i would not be happy with anything else. a case would be all fine and dandy until it got dirty, then i would be pisd right away that its uncleanable, and i would be pisd once i annihilated the plastic rear end after a few day. obviously im not going to get a new s185 cuz i have grown to hate it when putting in big days. not to mention resale on a bobcat in this area is terrible when it equipped with sjc.

its true that i would not be purchasing a russian make skid steer like people make it out to be. after all it is jcb, who sells more construction equipment than case, new holland, terex, kubota, john deere, volvo, hitachi, doosan, bobcat, takeuchi, hyundai, link belt, mitsubishi, gehl, yanmar, etc.

that would be handy to get a sweet deal on a new machine, but im not convinced they know i say so much good stuff about them.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yes I don't doubt the dealer has an issue with resale value, they seldom do. Since they are only going to give you what they feel safe in doing so. You the customer is typically the one that has an issue with resale value.

What makes CASE harder to clean than anything else (cant wait to hear this)? Please don't take offense, but you really don't seem like the type thats big into cleaning a machine. If you don't have time to grease anything, cleaning cant be high on the list either.

What plastic are you refering to?

dave esterns

what plastic?? i have discussed this before. it has always been my problem with deere, new holland, and more so now case. the bottom 2 feet of the machine is steel. but the rear door is way too light. the tail lights that stick out past the steel would be broke instantly. and everything above and to the sides of the top half of the door is plastic! i really dont understand how no one has a problem with this. deeres tin rear end is even worse. we built grates that bolt over our tail lights on our bobcat and they are still always broken out. notice how the jcb has a tough rear end.

it all comes down to jcb, then everyone else. its impossible to clean any skid steer but a jcb. first of all you cant see anything out of a normal skid steer, so you dont notice how the glass is always dirty so much.

you see cleaning is kinda mandatory, else you literally cant see out the glass. on a jcb you hose the cab off, swipe a brush across a few times, and your done. anyone else, besides the new bobcats, u gotta remove glass and obviously that never happens. and trying to brush through the mesh does not work. the one time i did do that (remove glass) i broke a piece of glass by touching it on the ground.

i dont care how dirty the rest of the machine is, just want to be able to see out the windows.

then there is the foot wells. you gotta get wrenches, and other misc tools out to clean out inside your cab. i dont know about you but i get 10 gallons of trash out of the footwell when i do clean it. jcb you open the door and kick all the trash right out the side. amazing.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would like to suggest that you open the other barn door as well when your cleaning out the manure. I think you have C02 poisoning.

barklee

I am gonna laugh until i puke when you finally (finally, in bold, italics, underline) buy a new JCB and it breaks down the first week you got it! Not saying i want you to have trouble but carma says its coming. Once again i cannot understand how somebody that doesnt own a product can over and over again brag about and defend it. You have to have written over 100 comments on these machines over a year or two period. JUST BUY ONE ALREADY!
You know, i bet you bought a new Bobcat but dont want to admit it! :Banghead

dave esterns

this is awesome. what is equally amazing is that even with my hundreds of comments, and continuous repetition, people still always come back with comments about how the jcb is probably going to be broken down all the time. i suspect this is because everything i say makes sense, and people dont wanna admit it. realistically, any all new skid steer (like the new case and new holland), would be equally as likely to be prone to breakdowns. if you look at a jcb, there is little to go wrong with it. its such a simple design and they use the best components money can buy. i said before, when you tilt the cab, there is nothing under it (no, not literally). the bottom of the skid steer is right there.

i was also one of the first to jump on the cvt transmission idea. i seem to be good at spotting good ideas. now, cvts are what all the new tractors have. im telling you, the jcb skid steer is here to stay.

again, i would buy one tomorrow if my size existed.

what exactly did i say that would suggest i have co2 poisoning. there is nothing i said that is not truth.

i might buy another brand just so i can continually say how much i hate it.

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Unless you own and operate one of these machines you have no right to comment on their use and performance. Period. In the past JCB has been weighed , measured and found wanting on more than one Occasion... Pretty much junk and everyone out in the industry knows this. The JD and CAT CTL units are going to out power the JCB by a long shot IMHO .....besides just by looking at the machine , I am here to tell you that all that glass is going to be expensive to replace when you break it and that design leads itself to allot of broken glass IMHO
Signed,
Owner/Operator of everything JD and most everything Kubota /CAT

dave esterns

i have talked to plenty of people who own the old school jcb skid steer, and are happy with them. really like the side entry.

the jcb has no curved glass, so the glass should be cheaper.

i dont really care how much performance the skid steer has, its a skid steer; im sure the power is sufficient.

pafarmer, have you ever owned a jcb product? cuz if not that apparently disqualifies your opinion as well...

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
Yes, I did own one for a short time , A very short time. It was a total pile ofcrap and I will never own a JCB anything ever again........Have You ?? My short ownership experience with JCB was about 580 hours worth of lost time lost wages and plenty of headaches. I do wish them well with their new design but I am not alone in telling you that a JCB machine of any kind will never grace the apperance on one of my jobsites. I had a poor dealer and a less than acceptable machine and I was pretty much sored from them for good. The machine had major issues, the dealer is the one that made sure I never own one again.

Last edited:

dave esterns

we got a good local dealer.

what is the jcb machine that you owned? did u buy it new? was it a skid steer?

i have heard horror stories of bobcats with sjc, case 420s, cats engines. never heard much bad of new holland skid steers.

there is a jcb in the family, but not on the dairy farm.

seriously, how hard can it be to bolt together the best components you can get in your own frame for an experienced company, throw a sweet cab on and boom, u got a sweet ride... people always talk about how bad daewoo, doosan, hydra mac, scattrak, thomas, and volvo are. i would not be scared to own any of these, cuz they all are made from name brand components. im aware there is a bit more too it, but if jcb does have problems, its going to be with the electric controls, and everyone is in the same boat there.

i see the local dealer has a used sv185 for sale all loaded down for 33k. hmm.

dave esterns

kss, wait a second. is the case rear end different than the new holland? cuz it might be better with much less plastic and more steel. i will have to take a closer look.

boslab

Occupation
engineer
never posted before but i just bought a case 1845c, hope its good
regards
mark

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yes it is different. The CASE does not have any plastic. The NH does.

Machine head

Occupation
construction worker
ive gone from case hand control to cat joysick and now recently discovered the joys of bobcat footcontrol and yeh i rekon it kicks conpetators ass. but hey thats what i like.

pafarmer

Occupation
JCB is slow to market, can't argue that can you ? Really, the truth will be known when new JCB models hit the field in numbers that can measure real world useage. Until then, all of this is a mute point IMHO..........I know my Deere is a great machine and the number of them out there in users hands indicates that what I have to say about my machine and all the others in general is indeed real world facts and none just empty points of view. Hopefully, we see a few soon. I for one will make a point to find one and Demo it....Do you have any insight on when the general market will see them at dealers ?

dave esterns

i demod a jcb and loved it. i cant speak for long term reliability, but it has a 2 year warranty so... i dont understand y none of this counts for anything. dealers have the bigger models around. 225-330. the 205 on down will probably be around this spring realistically.

i like how suddenly people r getting such a kick out of foot controls, after everyone convinced me i dont like them.

nottaken

i;ve run a new holland for the past 20 years (1989) model. it was a great machine .unfortunatly i took for granted that it would last forever. all was going well till that upper radiator hose sprung a leak and it was sayanara kubota. i had just replacedall the filters and done my usual lube and cleaning. i just didn't think about that 23 year old radiator hose. yeah i know ... dumb huh? well today i purchased a four year old ghel gtl70 it's supposed to be smarter than me in as much as it should shut itself down before i can murder the engine in it.........let's hope