• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

who makes the BEST dozer

HAWKVOL

and McDonalds is the ONLY Hamburger....

as mentioned ...Cat IS the McDonald's of the Construction Industry. People continue to eat at Mickey D's in DROVES......Doesn't make it the best Burger in Town. Kuddo's to Cat for the successful "Branding". But much Like their Excavator has been outed ....their Dozer will lose ground in the coming years.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Ok I guess I'll chime in on this. I generally run away from dozers as much as I can but I have had some seat time sitting in them. I am in love with the Deere H and J series from the 450-650. They are a well thought out machine with great visibility and the Deere 4045T engine is one of the best. I have spent some time in the Deere 750-850's as well and they are a great machine as well. We have a new D6N and I only spent a few hours in it but didn't really like it. Once you try a D6 sized machine with diff steer compared to one with hydrostat you start to miss the Deere big time. I also found the blade lever stiffer in the Cat dozers compared to the JD. I grew up Die Hard John Deere and I suppose I will always be that way even though I run a CAnT now.

I have been saying this a lot lately, but Caterpillar is getting lazy. At one time they had that huge lead on the industry where they were the cats meow (pun intended) when it came to heavy equipment, but some of their products as of late have been lacking. While Deere doesn't have the dealer support that Cat does, their dealers return calls. Growing up if we had a problem with our cat equipment it took time for the dealer to get back with an answer and parts to our problems. The Deere dealer always returned calls, had parts coming and never let us down when it came to parts for new or old equipment.

But I say there is only one way to settle this.... like men! I know where we have a brand new 6N sitting... someone bring out a 850J LGP and we'll do er up! Then we'll smash the 850J with the 385CL, and the 6N with the 800C and go home.:pointhead

petersfamilytru

Too High Dollar for me...

I'm just a little guy trying to etch out a living in a small rural area in Oregon. I guess my opinions need to prefaced by stating that I run OLDER machines. Hell, the newest piece of equipment I've got is a mid-90's excavator (John Deere).

I have just always been under the impression that Caterpillar, even with their horrid prices, truly stand above all the others when it comes to longevity. But, since all the new dozer are "component" machines, I suppose it doesn't really matter what tag is on the hood.

MUDSLINGERS

Occupation
Finish dozer operator
Who makes the best dozer?

I have ran cats, komatsu, deere, and case, and if you wanted a little dozer to move a little dirt and finish a road with rock or just the dirt you have left over, the best is either a komatsu or a cat. Depending on the skills you have on a dozer, them are the best for a average or a skilled dozer hand. And if you are a new hand, their easy to learn on. The 31 or the 41 in Komatsu, or the D3 in cat is good ones to do the job!

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums HAWKVOL! :drinkup

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
This last week, I spent 4 days at the union training grounds. I was in the dozer class 1 day out of 4 days. Ran Deere 650H, Cat D6RXLII with a 6 way blade, and a D8RII. I liked the 650H for doing finish work, maybe I wasn't accustomed to the 6 very well but I couldn't keep myself from making rookie bumps like I could with the 650. Maybe if I would have had a little more time on the 6, I could have got it done a little better, just seemed real fast on the blade and I kept over-doing movement control.

I hadn't been on a dozer bigger than a 650H size before, the D8 was a blast. Just about like driving a house, drop the blade and plow through a pile. We were slot dozing, so we had to fill in the trench after we went a determined length of dozing. No feathering the blade with the 8, just drop into the pile and go, what a riot.

Deereman

Don't run me over b/c I am a Deereman, I respect cat(hell anything beats a shovel and wheel borrow) , but cat has never totally owned the small dozer market and has been a total copy cat with their new dozers especially the D6K. When I first saw it I wondered if deere made it. And this post is so long i can't keep up with who said what(so bear with me) but hyundai or whoever does not make deere dozers. Deere has always made their 850 size and down. Hitachi markets the 4,5 and 650 over seas. People who hate 650 are using them like 750 and 850. For ppl who like them lite, leave them alone; if they like them heavy put a winch or ripper and you like them. Deere's resales is slightly better then cat up to a 700 even off or a little below in the 750 and 850 size and nowhere near in the bigger size. And most ppl who are died in the whool cat ppl usually tent not to take care of other brands to make them go away. I've heard ppl to go as far as to vandalize the equipment so it would go back. I do agree with what most on here say about komatsu being cheap. Good on first price but then you more then make up for it after.cat on a D10 and up. I would take a 950J over a 950c any day. I did the same thing about the throttle, trying to turn it up but it only runs 1800 rpms. Even thoe the 1050 still lacks a little i would still take it over a D8R. Thoe i do like the D8R & T. Nice machines. Hystats in a big machine is like the new cat stick graders. You hate them till you get used to them. I agree with the tilt on the blades on deeres, not enough. And its funny about the undercarriage on that 750J coming off. Never had that problem even when i was holding on to the cab/cage to work. I loved the 750CII but like the J a little better. And I've never seen a cat SIP fuel Specially in excavators and dozers. Not to get anyone riled up but If its not a DEERE, It must be a puss!!

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Okay good post as to compairson.Until we get to the last sentence .Why ???????

"Not to get anyone riled up but If its not a DEERE, It must be a puss!!"

Are we talking about equipment or something else :eek: :beatsme :usa

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
All good and bad

I haven't been on a ton of different dozers but I dont' think ANY manufactor produces a PERFECT machine. What one likes bout somthing on a dozer, someone else might not like it. But finding the best bang for your buck is number one, that means dealer support, machine cost, parts and service. I have been on CAT 5's and 6's, Dresser 15's, Deere 550's, 850's and they all have their weak points and good points. I am sure the newer machines are the same way. Everyone has his/her own idea as to why they buy each machine and to each its own. I know of some guys that are all CAT, some that are Deere, and a few that have switched over to Komatsu, all for their own reasons. Just my :my2c

Trbo

LDK

Maybe size matters

In other threads I have admitted that for 30 years their was only one brand for me, CAT but about 10 years ago my opinion changed and I became more objective ( I believe).
CAT make some good dozer's, I would have to be a fool to claim otherwise but they do not make the best in every size class, at least that is my opinion.
I've run Komatsu, Deere and Fiat Allis models that I would take any day over an equal sized Cat, having said that their are also Cat dozer's that would be my first choice every time.
I have been running a 700J LT for a few months recently and what a dozer it is, I have never been on a CAT or a Komatsu equivalent of this sized machine that comes close to it on performance or maneuverability, I think #4# it has to be close to being the best performing dozer I have ever used but to be definitive about that would take more thought than I have time for.

Dazzled but not blinded;)

North Texan

Best? There is no best. Even in the same size class, the best dozer depends on the task at hand.

The dealer is what seals the deal.

HAWKVOL

Sure there is a BEST...

But there is some truth to what you say also. The dealership/support can play a heavy hand in any equipment purchase decision....but it doesn't have anything to do with the QUALITY/PERFORMANCE of the machine itself.

LDK

which manufacture makes the best dozer small to large???

I would agree that the quality of a dealership can be influential when buying a dozer but the original question makes no mention of dealership.

sfc

surely the best bulldozer is the one best suited to the job in hand, and the most satisfied by the joe sitting on the seat pulling the levers regardless as to wether it is cat, komatsu, international or john deere. The only thing i can say are john deeres that good because i have never seen one in England and being a small country we run an awful lot of small dozers

LDK

surely the best bulldozer is the one best suited to the job in hand, and the most satisfied by the joe sitting on the seat pulling the levers regardless as to wether it is cat, komatsu, international or john deere. The only thing i can say are john Deere's that good because i have never seen one in England and being a small country we run an awful lot of small dozers

I ran a couple of JD's in the UK in the very early 80's, an 850 and the other was about the same size as a D3, a 350 or 450 I think? I did not like the small one but thought that the 850 was fine, in those days I was a dyed in the wool CAT fanatic and was blind to anything else including KOMATSU. I'm a bit more open minded now, I think? As far as current JD models go I can only comment on the 700J and 750J, the former is fantastic and the later is good and up to now would not hesitate in buying either model again.
Things are a little different over here, the Cat and Komatsu dealers push the sales of the machines that are made in Brazil, whereas JD will sell you the machine that you want, without having an argument about it because they all come in from the States.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
The 850 size and down are made at Dubuque,Iowa.The bigger ones are made over sea.:usa

LDK

The 850 size and down are made at Dubuque,Iowa.The bigger ones are made over sea.:usa

Sorry about that, I know that the 950 and 1050 are produced by Lebhier but if I wanted one here it would probably come in from the States. The 160 we have is made in Japan but it came in here via the States.
I was trying to stress more the fact that with JD here (Argentina) they would not try telling me that I needed a different sized machine to the one I know I want. The same could not be said for the Cat or Komatsu dealers.