• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

who makes the BEST dozer

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
overall, cat i guess, but for the small stuff we favor the Deere 450H models

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
9420pullpan said:
i agree with you. i think that Cat owns the market from a D6R and above but i like the small John Deere dozers 450H/J-700H/J

I agree but my answer was too short.Take that will ya'.
Gotta be 10 characters??

Deas Plant

Best dozers.

Hi, Folks.
It has been a LOOONNGGGG time since I ran anything other that Cat or 'Kummagutsa' so I know nothing of the current Case and JD machines -------
EXCEPT that around South-east Queensland, Australia, (And quite probably all over sunny Qld.) service and spares for both are a little problematical.

You can have the best machine in the world to operate and for production figures but, if you can't run it 'cos you can't get parts and/or service, it's just so much scrap iron. And I sure don't see many Case or JD machines in any level of earthmoving around here.

This may well not be an issue in other areas where service is better.

Just my 0.02 cents.

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I know Deere’s 1050 (IIRC) is the worse I've ran it "equal" to a D8. It’s hydrostatic and damn those things wine like no other. It had some cool features, but other than that it was a POS. I do like the smaller Deere’s. New Holland has some nice small ones too. The only thing I don't like about new Cats is you can't see the corners of you blade anymore makes it hard to cut blue tops.

Deas Plant

Hydrostatic drives

Hi, Dozerboy.
I operated the first JD850 hydrostatic dozer and 750 hydrostatic loader to come to Australia at a field day to launch them back in the early '80's.

Both seemed to handle quite well and were not noticeably noisy, although the 850 dozer was a little light on the front for traction and balance. I have run one 850 since and no other JD products at all.

I regularly operate Cat 943/953 hydrostatic track loaders and they don't seem to whine much. But, I think the 1050 is made under the JD badge by somebody else, isn't it?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Deas Plant said:
You can have the best machine in the world to operate and for production figures but, if you can't run it 'cos you can't get parts and/or service, it's just so much scrap iron. And I sure don't see many Case or JD machines in any level of earthmoving around here.

What Deas said....its been a long time since I saw any dozer bigger than a D6 that wasn't a Cat apart from a few Komatapillars. Service and support is the problem with the other brands. Due to our mining industry CAT covers the state (7 x the size of Texas) pretty well but as soon as you head bush with anything else your on your own.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Pretty much Clatterpillar has the dozer market I know Komatsu is Cats nearest competition but they are no where near a machine as a D series Cat.

A around here smaller dozers are not used anything smaller than a D6 isn't used. Bulldozers in general really are not used on construction sites mostly in gravel mines.

The gravel mines have tried Komatsu dozers they just don't stand up to running 20 hours a day 6 days a week. Most mines run a morning and afternoon shift each shift is around 10 hours.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
It is a shame that John Deere does not have the exposure in australia that they have here because they could easily dominate the market with the smaller dozers.I know some of your work history Deas and it parallels mine in many repects having many years of experience but I will say that you would soon change your preferences if you could spend some time with the smaller John Deere dozers.
I too have run some of the larger JD 850s and up and while they are a nice dozer I do prefer the Cats.The Cat D6 is the just about the crossover point with me but anything smaller than that I would prefer the Deere.
John Deere equipment is designed by operators,at least that is the feeling that you soon acquire when running them,a dozer that can do anything you ask of it with style and grace,a dozer that does everything well.
Their rubber tired backhoes also fall into that catagory and they also sell a lot of them here for the same reason.Ron G

Deas Plant

JD 'Matchbox models'.

Hi, RonG.
You may well be right. As I mentioned above, I liked the 850 dozer and 750 loader when I operated them all those years ago. I have operated a couple of JD backhoes even further back for brief periods and didn't mind them either.

However, due to that lack of exposure that you mentioned, I'd guess that I'm not likely to get the chance to remedy my ignorance. I know of only about 3 contractors around the immediate area who are using Case machines - all one machine owner-operators and all small track loaders up to a 1450 Case - and NOT ONE JD dozer or track loader. Again, I don't think that the machines are entirely to blame for this. I suspect that the local distributor might have a bit to answer for too.

You can see a bit of JD stuff around golf courses and such like here and there are a fair number of JD ride-on lawn mowers around too. But that hasn't translated into anything heavier.

Wanna mail me one over for a trial run? If I like it, I get to keep it?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Hi Deas,I wish I could send you one so you could share the joy that we feel when you are in tune with your steed and all is well with the world.I have said many times that their dozers challange you to be your best,they say to you.........show me your stuff.Ask of me something that I cannot do and you smile.You know the feeling and it is the old timers that can appreciate what I am saying now,the old guys that grew up with the rough edges and kind of took it all in stride,we are the ones that smile the loudest because we are the ones that gained the most.
I remember in the fairly recent past that my searches for used equipment on the net have produced a couple of hits of Hyundai dozers and it appears that they build the smaller John Deeres as they are just about identical to the 450/650 that John Deere sells on their lot,at least the ones from the late '90s on are a pretty close copy.
I have heard that Liebherr makes the larger dozers for them but if you can find an Hyundai H70 or H80 locally that would be pretty close to what we have here although the Hyundai uses the 3.9 Cummins in the adds I have seen it is possible that the JD engine might be a little more powerful.
I chat with another gentleman in Australia who has some of his own equipment (a D8,a JD self propelled scraper etc.) although he is a farmer primarily and he tells me that Case is popular there for the smaller dozers.
We have quite a few of them here as well and the older ones were a bad joke,the newer ones appear to have been built offshore and they are not too bad.I tell him if he ran a John Deere the first thing he would do with it would be to dig a hole to bury the Case in. LOL
Enough ramblin',I know I come on strong for the JD but they sell a lot of them here,I would not be surprised that in the weight class we are talking about they might be the market leader here so I have a lot of company it appears.
I hope your paths will cross someday.:))Ron G

Deas Plant

Feeling as one with your machine.

Hi, RonG.
What you describe in your first paragraph is about word for word what I find with the Cat D5B 44X series wide guage dozer that I currently spend most of my time on. It has a Cat bull tilt blade, a non-factory 2-shank ripper that is about 25-30% heavier than the genuine Cat ripper and an almost ROPS with scrub sweeps.

It has the sweetest balance of any small dozer that I have ever operated and is very controllable as well. I have spent many happy hours on Cat D9G's and H's with similar 'feel' but this little D5B is at least right up there with 'em in that department. Most of my work is levelling house sites to +/- about 5/8 of an inch using a laser grade checker on the machine - still manual control of the blade. It's actually pretty easy to do.

On top of that, it puts its grunt on the ground far better than the Cat D10R that I recently 'played' with for 3 hours. Like the D9G's and H's, it will just keep on cutting and cutting while ever it can get the cutting edge in the ground. Just a great little machine.

Catchyalater.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have many hours on a D6 of the same vintage as your D5B and it was a great machine.
The D8H and D8K had terrific balance as well,they could be dainty while perched atop a big rock if you asked them to,they always seemed to be at home and in control,just reassuring to operate.
I found the same characteristics in the larger high drives having spent quite a bit of time in a D8N with a 4 barrel ripper on it but I was dissapointed with The high drive D5's that I have been on,an M and an XL were both too nose heavy for my taste but otherwise were fine grading dozers.
The John Deere 650H LGP tops my list probably as the one best dozer I ever ran,it did everything well.Ron G

Deas Plant

D6's

Hi, RonG.
I have operated the D6C and D6D versions as well. I found the D6C a better balanced machine than the D6D, which I always thought was a little light in the front. Both handled well and could put their grunt on the ground.

A D7F that I operated had the same disease as the D6D with the much lighter and faster 6 cyl motor in it. We cured that when we put wear plates on the blade before it went pushing Cat 621 scrapers. We welded two 4-foot square slabs of 1 inch thick steel to the front face of the blade instead of the more normal 1/2" or 5/8" plate. That made it a different machine.

Prior to adding the plate to the blade, it was easier to trim with the D7F when it had the tree pusher bar fitted to give it more weight up front.

Catchyalater.

Attachments

• Cat D8 14A_With canopy & tree pusher..jpg
    Cat D8 14A_With canopy & tree pusher..jpg
    13 KB · Views: 5,414

Deas Plant

Tree Pusher Bar

Hi, RonG.
I didn't know if it was going to post but the photo in the above post shows a tree pusher bar fitted to a Cat D8 14A series dozer - just in case you've never seen one before.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Thanks for the pic,I have seen pictures of a tree pusher but have never seen one in action.I don't even want to think about the trees I have pushed without even an ROPS on the dozer,talk about widow makers..........that is a feature that was way too long coming as it is law here now that dozers be equipped with ROPS.Ron G