• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who has the best?

mert0714

Charter Member
Looking at updating a trailer from a Trail King TK12U. We are at or above the trailers gross now and would need to upgrade but the next sixe is 18,000 lb triple axle. This is too much. Thinking of 14,000 or 16,000 lb class to meet our needs and not get to long or large because of residential parking problems. Also trying to stay away from the deck overs. I have looked a little at Towmaster and Redi Haul. Anyone have any opinions on these or any others in this category?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I have an 8 ton Northern Bay built in Maine, it's worked well for me, but it's a deck over. It has 2 single wheel axles with G rated tires and has given me no problems since I've owned.

One detraction is the axles, they are not Dexter. I'd recommend specing them for any trailer you decide on, they may cost a bit more but are much easier to find parts for than other brands. My brake parts have to be special ordered through the dealer where the Dexter brands are available at most auto parts stores.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
The Towmasters look like decent trailers. I'm not sure what the difference is in the frame between the 12K and 16K models, probably not much difference in the 2, just the axles I'm assuming. Plus, if you're happy with your deck size now, Towmaster has drop decks in the 16-20 foot range, perfect for residential work with a higher GVW rating and the same overall trailer size.