• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who Backdrags?

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
Dear Bob
Yes still around,but weak as knats pee.
Whats happened to ACME site ????
Please send me an email so I can reply as cannott find yours.
Kind regards
Motat

jughead

Occupation
retired
this is not for argument please. need explanation. is back dragging and using the float position the same thing? my reason for asking is using a loader and a loader runs backwards loaded as much as it does forward. to me the loader is always in danger of more wear than a dozer that does back drag.

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
Dear Jughead
Ist let me say ,I dont wish to be seen as a guru.
The loader you speak of .Is this a tracked loader[traxcavator]
Float. I personally seldom use float,as one needs to put down pressure on some places and feather at end of run..
If its a wheel loader then I have had little experiance of them.
My theory about [float] is that its a carryover from the old rope blades, where you can drop blade quickly,and I can remember yrs ago operators condeming the new fangled hydaulic blade.
Of course I could well be wrong and probably are.
As I understand it,Float is the [carry] position,as haveing loaded the blade,you float the load along,something I have had no success with.
The real Guru on Dozers is Ozdozer.
Regards
Motat

Jeembawb

Dear Jughead
Ist let me say ,I dont wish to be seen as a guru.
The loader you speak of .Is this a tracked loader[traxcavator]
Float. I personally seldom use float,as one needs to put down pressure on some places and feather at end of run..
If its a wheel loader then I have had little experiance of them.
My theory about [float] is that its a carryover from the old rope blades, where you can drop blade quickly,and I can remember yrs ago operators condeming the new fangled hydaulic blade.
Of course I could well be wrong and probably are.
As I understand it,Float is the [carry] position,as haveing loaded the blade,you float the load along,something I have had no success with.
The real Guru on Dozers is Ozdozer.
Regards
Motat

Float - I didn't know what it was until recently when I spent a bunch of hours in a D6D (was like xmas day everyday). When I realised what it was (my old Fiats aren't flash enough to have float I reckon) I found it quite good depending on the ground conditions. i.e. if it was too loose it would bite in too much, but most of the time when it worked it was time to reach for the water bottle & have a little break.

Does someone know what it would entail to make my old Fiats float?? (no boat anchor jokes :)) Just wondering what the hydraulic bits involved are? I guess its just like opening the tap between both sides of the ram??

Jimbob

P.S. Motat - what part of the long white cloud are you from? Me Gissy originally

jughead

Occupation
retired
the loader i own is a d75s-3 it is a track machine. when i use the float on it the bucket is almost always flat on the ground it is a heavy sucker and knocks off the humps this old man leaves quite easily.

vapor300

yes when im running a track loader ill put it in float, but i will always tilt the bucket forward just to allow the dirt to slide thru the teeth

Digger321b

Occupation
heavy machine operator
I don't use the float mode, I just rest the blade and move the blade up and down, side to side as needed, its not going to wear the back of the blade at all

ttazzman

this is not for argument please. need explanation. is back dragging and using the float position the same thing? my reason for asking is using a loader and a loader runs backwards loaded as much as it does forward. to me the loader is always in danger of more wear than a dozer that does back drag.

NO they are not the same thing....at least not in my opinion

#1 back-dragging to me is using the bucket or blade while in reverse

#2 "Float Position" is a setting on your Bucket or blade that allows it to float up or down with no hydraulic pressure on it in either direction

you can use "Float Position" going both forwards or backwards but it in my opinion it works better while going backwards, and works well smoothing with buckets as mentioned by Vapor300 in his post

I use the Float position with good success going both forwards and backwards with a bucket....and backwards only with a blade

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
so there is really no point to back drag unless you cant make it look good goin forward

I couldnt hit the ground with the blade if i tried.
One thing I do know is that I will do what ever the customer wants and pays for.
Its no secret that kissing the customers rear and back dragging is a sure way to stay working.
Besides, back dragging is the quickest way to cover up the phone lines I just yanked up out of the ground.

I could go on and on with this....
but I know better than to argue with a prima donna.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Just because I drive a truck does not make me a truck driver....:D

LOL, classic vid. I couldn't understand a word, but I know what he was sayin'... :lmao

OCR

cwheat

Occupation
Retired
The main reason that running any sprocket/chain driven dozer in reverse is not good is that the rails on all dozers are of the offset link type as opposed to box and strap type chain. The wide end of the chain is always toward the forward. This allows the bushing of the chain to lay in the sprocket as it travels around the sprocket and all movement or rotation of the chain in relation to the sprocket takes place between the pin and inside of the bushing. This eliminates the bushing rotating against the sprocket tooth which is what is happening when traveling in reverse.That is why there is more wear on sprockets and chains when traveling in reverse. This is from millright experience in a paper mill. You always run offset link chain with the wide end leading to minimize wear on the sprocket and outside of the chain. Just thought I would inject that little piece of information.

skadill

Killing Two birds with one Stone

This one definetly creates a unique solution for this topic,although appears to need a second operator! Friend took this last year.

Attachments

• 1959_xx_xx_213_141.jpg
    1959_xx_xx_213_141.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 514
  • montreal 2012 oct 048.jpg
    montreal 2012 oct 048.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 526

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I've never seen anything even faintly resembling that rear blade - and I'll wager it's a nightmare to control, hanging that far out the back of the tractor, and with the lift rams mounted almost near the pivot points!

AT&SW

Occupation
equipment owner/operator
I saw one of these I believe in the Netherlands used them for cleaning ditches if I remember right. Had completely forgot about even seeing it till the picture.

83Jim

This one definetly creates a unique solution for this topic,although appears to need a second operator! Friend took this last year.

For me this is another deja vu moment with one of life's mysteries solved.

I remember 40 years ago when one of my coworkers sarcastically told a mine owner that, if he would mount blades on the front and rear of our D9Gs, they could move more material. The company would just need to hire some qualified operators. The owner, who obviously had an appreciation for sarcasm, replied that he had plenty of "two-faced" operators already. LOL

Last edited: