• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who Backdrags?

ih100

. The customer can hire a guy to brush the tracks out with a rake if he is that picky. IDC what it is you are finishing, but why does it matter if you leave tracks???

I shaped and topsoiled a massive berm once, lovely parallel track marks, no windrows, I was real proud. Then the site agent told me to get back up and take the tracks out. I wish I'd thought of your answer.

Also IMHO, There's a world of difference between using back blading to cover for inability to hold grade and back blading to achieve a finish. Some "operators" couldn't take their track marks out and not leave windrows to save their lives.

vapor300

actually alot of states are requiring you track the slopes up after you finish them so that the seed will get caught in the track marks if it rains instead of ending up silting down to the bottom of the slope

Kelly

Occupation
Retired/OE Local #3
Rest my case your,

"Honor"

Attachments

• Cat Dozer Backdraging..... (640x588).jpg
    Cat Dozer Backdraging..... (640x588).jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:

vapor300

cutting double ditch

us31.jpg

topsoiling double ditch

us312.jpg

Now idk how you guys do it but ill put it all in a little high when im putting it out there, then when the scrapers are trucks get done hauling ill go back and trim it all to make it look good going forward, get to the other end ill turn around and come back the other way. Now if i was to back drag all this do you know how much extra time that would take??? Plus there are so many other things that i need to be doing.

d4c24a

farm track

here is a track i cut out a few years ago ready for hardcore , 1962 D4c done by eye also with some back dragging :D

and i am not a dozer op

Attachments

• IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 562

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
I haven't bothered looking at all the posts,and wonder if anyones mentioned the real reason to refrain from back bladeing if possible.
Its hard on sprocketts,but yes nessasary at times.
Kind regards
Motat

jughead

Occupation
retired
this old man backdrags and is proud of it. that being said i will NEVER be an operator. i have a total of maybe 24 hrs on a dozer. i have been using a loader and or a backhoe since the late 70s but it was more of a playing thing with both helping a friend evenings and week ends. i had to make a living repairing autos and trucks. my point is some of us do the best we can with what experience we have or the equipment. i just dont understand all the bickering that goes on on all the web sites when a person gets the job done and done right. there probably isnt a construction company out there that would give me the time of day and i have no problem with it but i get what i need to do done. there i got it off my chest.

vapor300

I know a lot of ppl do it, even had a few operators working for me that would backdrag everything they did, it made me mad but those 2 were the best dozer hands we had to work with so i dealt with it. But I've got the pleasure to work around some of the best dozer hands and I've never seen them backdrag anything they have ever finished and neither will I. If I spent all that time finishing it and get it to look good I'm not goin to hide my work by backdragin it. But that's how I was taught. The funny thing is when i run a highlift I always backdrag, but that's how i was taught to run a one

ih100

I know a lot of ppl do it, even had a few operators working for me that would backdrag everything they did, it made me mad but those 2 were the best dozer hands we had to work with so i dealt with it. But I've got the pleasure to work around some of the best dozer hands and I've never seen them backdrag anything they have ever finished and neither will I. If I spent all that time finishing it and get it to look good I'm not goin to hide my work by backdragin it. But that's how I was taught. The funny thing is when i run a highlift I always backdrag, but that's how i was taught to run a one

So what you were taught is gospel? One oldtimer says don't backdrag with a blade, another says backdrag with a loader. Good job one of those oldtimers didn't say operate at all times with your foot on the brake.:D

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
Hard on sprockets for same reason any backing up,especially under load is.
The top of the chain is tensioned,and chain at bottom of sprocket bunches,therefore the chain tends to climb up on teeth.
Also if you drag a large heap behind blade,it tends to flo into track chain ,carried along and packs in sprocket,thus putting it out of pitch and again wearing tips of teeth
Also hard on idlers ,with top of chain pulling onto track spring,etc
If you had the option,would you drive forward a long distance,or reverse,???? certainly know what I would do,and not just to save my neck.
Any decent excavator operator will always walk a distance with sprocket at rear
I run a high track now days,and have yet to work out the dynamics on these,especially as rear idlers are loaded up when pushing forward on these,(tho no springs at rear,and bunching tends to occur between sprocket and rear idler,tho I notice that even tho the spocket is up high,they still can (pack)
As I said before tho ,sometimes one has to back blade,and certainly cannott avoid backing up under load.
Kind regards
Motat

Jeembawb

Hard on sprockets for same reason any backing up,especially under load is.
The top of the chain is tensioned,and chain at bottom of sprocket bunches,therefore the chain tends to climb up on teeth.
Also if you drag a large heap behind blade,it tends to flo into track chain ,carried along and packs in sprocket,thus putting it out of pitch and again wearing tips of teeth
Also hard on idlers ,with top of chain pulling onto track spring,etc
If you had the option,would you drive forward a long distance,or reverse,???? certainly know what I would do,and not just to save my neck.
Any decent excavator operator will always walk a distance with sprocket at rear
I run a high track now days,and have yet to work out the dynamics on these,especially as rear idlers are loaded up when pushing forward on these,(tho no springs at rear,and bunching tends to occur between sprocket and rear idler,tho I notice that even tho the spocket is up high,they still can (pack)
As I said before tho ,sometimes one has to back blade,and certainly cannott avoid backing up under load.
Kind regards
Motat

Thanks Motat - it's always good to know how to look after a m/c properly especially when most of the gear I use is 3/4 worn just because of it's age (and probably some abuse).

Off track - you were chasing some fiat info for a neighbours m/c a while back - did you get sorted?

jimbob

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
Jeembawb
Re the Fiat
Neighbor has sold the Fiat,with its problems,thank goodness too.
What a great memory you must have.
Kind regards
Motat

Bob/Ont

Motat good to see your still around, lost track of you since Joe's site went down. Have new email, change cs.com to gmail.com.
Later Bob