• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

which truck would you choose?

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
If you guys had a choice as to which truck type truck you would buy?

#1 Triaxel #2 tandem #3 single axel

Here is why I ask see last year I bought a dump trailer to haul mulch,topsoil,stone,etc so far every call i recive for deliveries they all ask what i have and when i tell them a dump trailer that is pulled by my truck i get the cold sholder. Some have asked if i have a triaxle when I tell them no I do not get the job. So to make a long story longer :) Which would you guys get? any imput would be great

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
That makes me laugh because all the customer should need to tell you is how much they need. Now if they needed 100 yards, a dump trailer might be a hard sell, but for most of my jobs I could probably get by with one.

All I have is a one ton and I end up moving 80% of materials myself. I have a friend with and international with a 16 foot dump body and if I need more I would just have the plant bring a triaxle.

I know a guy who gets lots of jobs with a dump trailer.

Kind of hard to fight the customer though.

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
If I had the money, it would be a triaxle. I already have a single axle for lighter payloads and manueverability, but now I need something for hauling bigger loads. If I could only have one truck, it'd be a tandem with 14' box. It's a good compromise between load capacity and manueverability.

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
It all depends on what your doing. If all you get calls for is deliveries under 10 yards, no sense in buying a tri-axle. To just have 1 truck, a 10 wheeler would be ideal as you can carry around 15 tons depending on lightweight of the truck.

I'd personally buy a 6 wheeler and then hire out a tri-axle for larger deliveries, especially if you're doing mainly small deliveries. I know a bunch of people in shelton with tri-axles who could probably do a few big deliveries for you if needed.

cat320

Charter Member
Well I would not have people dictate to me what I need to buy.If you can do it with a dump trailer do it and save yourself the cost of operating,buying and registering a big truck.If you feel you need to get one for work because you need one and need to haul heavy then I would get a single axel that is good for most home deliveries,if you go bigger there again it will cost to run when you get 4 yard loads. Personal I would tell them yea I have a big mack ten wheeler then when you show up to the job in your dump trailer tell them it was out on a job and you wanted to get the material to them instead of having them wait till the truck comes back.But in all hounesty they need not know what kind of delivery truck you have,or you can tell them we use smaller trucks not to ruin there driveways.

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
Thanks for the imputs guys you all shed some serious light on this subject and i thank you for that

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I think it will depend on the type of work you expect the truck to do. For bulk hauling I'd opt for the tri-axle, but if you need manueverability into tight spaces, the single axle will fill the bill. Ten wheelers are a thing of the past around here with the current weight laws, the only ones you see now are single axle trucks with a pusher axle for more weight.

For my operation I've been considering a 33,000 GVW single axle truck.

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
Steve Frazier said:
I think it will depend on the type of work you expect the truck to do. For bulk hauling I'd opt for the tri-axle, but if you need manueverability into tight spaces, the single axle will fill the bill. Ten wheelers are a thing of the past around here with the current weight laws, the only ones you see now are single axle trucks with a pusher axle for more weight.

For my operation I've been considering a 33,000 GVW single axle truck.

See Steve there is the million dollor question some poeople that call me and want materials want alot then a triaxel would work, Then others call and want a smaller load it is very up and down if you know what i mean. Also I had the idea of putting a plow on it and sander to plow with the state come winter time so I am sure a triaxel would be out of the question I do not see to many if any triaxel plow trucks around here alot of single axel plow trucks some tandems but no triaxels, see i am trying to fiqure out which will have the most available work and which will be the most cost affective this is why I asked for everyones opinions on here.

Last edited:

cat320

Charter Member
Well around here anything can be put on with the state tri's ten wheelers single 's pick ups what ever.If you plan on doing alot of general hauling then a tri will be the best.but for general delivery a single but if you do just small amounts it's still cheaper to do it with your trailer.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
If you know someone with a tri axle that can do those large deliveries for you then when asked tell the customer you have what ever is required to do the job, but for them you will be using your trailer because it is best sutied for there delivery.
By the way my 3 yd dump on my 1 ton makes more money in the long run then my 12 yd tri. So it all depends on your needs. remember to concider the CDL requirements. added insurance, (my 12 yarder is about 3 times my 1 ton) bigger shop for service, more tools, and the bigger they are the more it takes to fuel them.

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
Thanks guys I knew I could count on your imput, As far as the truck I am still up in the air about it. There are a lot of variables to think about, like you guys said ins,taxes,bigger repair bills,fuel (all though right now my dump trailer is pulled by my 95 ram 2500 with the v-10 so anything is probley better on fuel then that ?) and a whole host of other things I just am trying to fiqure out what is best for me and the growth and future if my buss. But only I can make that desicion, I will keep you guys informed about what I do Thanks again :thumbsup :waving

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Chip-

If you look in truck trader or bargain news, for around $15k or less you should be able to find a clean late 80s Mack 6 wheeler, international, ford, etc. Once you get into a tri-axle range, you're able to make bigger loads, but your costs also go up. Not sure where in shelton you live, but you'd probably have a better chance of storing a 6 wheeler at your house then a tri-axle.

As i've said before, i know quite a few people with tri-axles in shelton and i'd be happy to give you some phone numbers. Kimballs on rt 25 even does deliveries same with brennan, not sure about blakemans job on bridgeport ave, but i'm sure you could find trucks to run some loads.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
If you are going to do highway plowing, then a tri-axle would be ok. In the State of NJ, you see plenty of tri-axles at work, NJ contracts out a lot of their snow removal.

Keep in mind though if you get a tri-axle, you'll need to keep it busy to meet expenses. An occassional load here or there won't pay the bills. You'll need to hire out almost daily to make a profit. Around here tris carry 18 yards.

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
I think CAT320 had it right. Customer shouldn't really care how it gets there.

Had that problem in the Army - Someone would request a certain truck, and we'd show up with one, then figure out it was the wrong truck for the requirement. Finally, the Battalion Commander put out the policy that a customer had to tell us what they needed moved, and how far, then let the truckers figure out which truck to send to the committment. Works much better that way.

Like the old adage - don't bring your big knife to the gun fight.

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
Your location is critical

Regulations regarding tri-axle use for both tractors and trailers vary significantly from state to state.
Michigan will let you have 4 or 5 axles on a dumptruck and load them all.
Georgia will give you the same weight as if the 3rd axle were not there.

Every time you get a call and your answer is not what they want, ask them what they want and why.

One thing I would like to point out is relative expenses.
For instance, a skid steer is a marvelous tool. It is flexible, manuverable, has many attachments and affords entry level access to the grading and landscape businesses.
However, the efficiencies of a skid steer dissappear as soon as a larger job scale appears. { you don't see 700 skid steers building an interstate, it doesn't work that way}
Almost every grading company that buys a truck and trailer buys too small the first time. If you really want to save money, eliminate the second truck entirely by getting more than you need the first time.

Our current truck is our eighth. We have used tandem dumps with tags, f-450's with ramp trailers, various tractor trailer combinations including drops, flats, detachables and pavers.
We can currently move our stuff and others ( a great option to have during wet weather for an income stream) up to about 100,000 pounds. The most amazing thing is that this truck ( BobsGrading.com/heavy haul) moves our equipment cheaper per mile than any of the smaller compromise trucks we have used after all expenses are counted ( tires last 170,000 miles). Obviously, everyone doesn't need a 55 ton trailer, but just as stepping up from a skid steer becomes appropriate as job size increases, saving money in trucks may require that you look several years into your future for your best purchase.

zrtman

I'd buy a tri. Customers always want them - they think they are getting more for the money. If you argue/explain different they think your trying to pull one over on them. I'm buying a dump... it will be a tri - if its not I will put a lift axle on it.

Good example: a guy I know needed 50 loads of fill. Called two different companies. He went with a company that has a truck with a huge 20yard body - just because it was bigger. Paid $10 more an hour for it. Thing is - they dont load it all the way due to weight... just funny how people think.

Customer is always right... or so they think. They dont know what they want, but they think they do!

Just my $.02 worth.

richardcatdaddy

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler,local
subject

Why not a tandem with the front axle being a lift axle?That way if you need a single you got it or if you need a tandem drop the tag axle and you got a tandem.Do the job of two trucks with just one truck.:usa

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
Thanks guys I knew I could count on your imput, As far as the truck I am still up in the air about it. There are a lot of variables to think about, like you guys said ins,taxes,bigger repair bills,fuel (all though right now my dump trailer is pulled by my 95 ram 2500 with the v-10 so anything is probley better on fuel then that ?) and a whole host of other things I just am trying to fiqure out what is best for me and the growth and future if my buss. But only I can make that desicion, I will keep you guys informed about what I do Thanks again :thumbsup :waving

Would be nice if you could justify owning all three now wouldn't it....:p

Raildudes dad

Quote them a unit price. If you want to charge me $15 / ton for stone delivered and the guy with the big truck wants $18, you got my business and I don't care if you have Chinese coolies w/ wheelbarrows deliver it.:D