• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

which grader JD/Volvo/komatsu

firetrack

Prossibly in the market for a new 6wd grader in the JD772 size with 16' mouldboard and rippers for mine project in a verrry wet environment. Considering JD, Volvo and Komatsu. I do not have experience with graders so any real input from graders operators would be welcome.
Firetrack

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A JD772 seems a bit small to carry a 16' blade in a mining application. I've seen Komatsu and Champion graders in mining and they just don't work at all. The heavy loading and constant beating being given shows up as big problems at around 4,500 hours. What size traffic are your roads going to be handling and what is the distance these machines will be taking care of? I have personal experience using graders designed to handle gravel roads for the county being used to groom haul roads for fifty ton trucks. It is in no way cost effective!

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Not a Grader Operator per se, but I think CAT makes the mining application specific 16M and 24M, the 16M has a 16' moldboard and the 24M a 24' though I don't believe they are 6WD. The 24M is an absolute beast. mining-motor-grader.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Why do you think you need AWD..? Are you using it now..? To be honest in a mining environment the last thing I would be looking at would be AWD. Remember this thing is a grader not a wheel dozer, much though Mine Operations would like to believe otherwise. Give the operators too much traction and they'll tear your machine apart. In the mining operation where I am currently we have a tropical climate and get around 2500mm or rain a year. We only use RWD on our 4 graders (Cat 16M). We run them with L5 wheel loader tyres on the back for best resistance to cuts and for improved traction. Fronts pretty much run whatever we have that's worn out - most look like slicks but were actually treaded at one time.

Stay away from Komatsu graders - baaaaaaaaad news in my experience. No personal experience of Volvo or JD. A lot would be down to the support from your local dealer. Are you just looking at 1 unit..? If so check out how many others of the same model the dealer supports in your territory, that would give you an idea of what spares availability should be like. Also check with the dealers to refer you to customers running the same model so that they can give you their opinions.

I notice you don't have Cat on your list of options. Any particular reason why..?

firetrack

Guys,
We will not be supporting the main mining operations or the haul road. We're supposedly going to be be given the task of ancilliary roads and drainage. A very wet exploration site where i am currently doing support work for the drill rigs and use a D5N LGP constantly towing dril rigs, trailers etc.
Re Cat - I've just got a bit of 'poo in the pants' over them not having an axel sun gear for my D5(2005 model) anywhere in the world. Ordered it 10th Sept 2011(Cat removed it then) and only received it last Friday. Then they tried to charge me an $160 extra for freight above te original quote.
Both Cat and JD have field service reps in the area but parts for both are 200klm away. At the moment I would think JD would be leading the sales for graders in Australia(is this still the case in the US?) although I have heard CAT have climbed down off their high horse and are now pricing more aggressively. We're also most likely going to be in the market for 35 tonne excavator(probably hitachi) and a 30/40 tonne ADT(probably Volvo)
Firetrack

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I remember that issue. Cat should have been embarrased over that, but probably weren't ...........

For what you're proposing maybe an AWD grader might be the weapon of choice. Just when you said mining in your OP you got me thinking "haul roads". Not sure your target of a 16ft moldboard is possible without adding extensions to a 14-footer, because AFAIK neither JD or Volvo offer a 16-footer as standard on that size of machine.

Queenslander

Just curious firetrack, but what have they found to dig up over your way?
Iam on the western downs/Surat basin,an area fast becoming one big gravel pit.
Cheers, Greg

Occupation
Field Service Tech
I personally would go with a volvo grader it has more down force on the moldboard than any other grader in the market. they also have great fuel ecconomy! They more cab room where you can see the entire mold board from the seat. Try looking at a G976 or bigger. you won't regert it.

770G

Between the JD and the Volvo I'd say hands down JD (never had a chance on a komatsu). We have both at my work (not 6x6), the Volvo controls felt clumsy for lack of a better work. And parts always took way longer to get than JD. As for moldboard downforce, JD can pick front end off ground...and apply enough pressure to stop it in its tracks. Good luck on your venture of grader shopping. I'm sure they will all get the job done for ya. :)

But those M series from CAT look WICKED, god I'd love to run 1 just for a day.......or 10;)

firetrack

Greg,
Same as you - coal at this stage. No CSG yet but I believe Blue Energy have exploration rights over a large section of the Fraser Coast area.
Firetrack

Queenslander

ok... I never knew of coal in that area.
Should be good for you, to be involved at this early stage.
Good luck
Greg

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
I, too am leery of a 16 foot moldboard on that size machine, especially in wet ground. Unless you were doing nothing but fine grade work on stable subgrade.

smooth

You might want to consider the JD-872. It is 6WD and I know it will handle the 16ft moldboard. It also comes with the big big tires which would give you the added flotation and traction you would want for the wet conditions you are talking about. You would probably be OK with a JD772 with 16ft moldboard it would be 14ft with 2ft extension make sure it is the 27inch height. You might just have to do some of the heavier work with a dozer first. You can get the big big tires for a JD772 also.

len740

Occupation
equipment operator
i agree tried volvo cat and deere. deere all the way . have ran one for 2 years awsome machine