• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which brand excavator do you like the most?

Favorite brand of excavator (s)

• Cat

Votes: 113 32.9%
  • Komatsu

Votes: 47 13.7%
  • Link Belt

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Case

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • John Deere

Votes: 59 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 101 29.4%

• Total voters

Excavator Nut

Occupation
operator/foreman/laborer
Cat is the most widely used and is a little slow in turning the bigger the machine. Ive used mostly all but JD seems to have the edge.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Deffinately more options needed. As for me, the ones I like:

1. Doosan
2. JCB
3. New Holland Kobelco.

Worst: Kato

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Deffinately more options needed. As for me, the ones I like:

1. Doosan
2. JCB
3. New Holland Kobelco.

Worst: Kato

Back in the 80's (in Australia) Kato was No 1, possibly due to the mob that sold & serviced them. A Company called Banbury Engineering.
Hitachi seems to have taken that mantle now, down under ;)

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
1. Link-Belt
2. Deere
3. Komatsu

I am kind of surprised Cat that is at the top.:confused:

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
1. Link-Belt
2. Deere
3. Komatsu

I am kind of surprised Cat that is at the top.:confused:

I love it.:D

I was going to say Case but sometimes it's better to be quiet and keep your opinion to yourself.;)

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
And the GOLD goes to :
1. CAT
And the Silver goes to:
2. Cat
and the Bronze goes to:
3. Cat

and the runners up are ???
JD
Komatsu

and no where on my list are "GREY Market anything"

SUPPORT Machines built for the N. American markets and Our Dealer Networks !

Tracksoup71

Occupation
Equipment Operator and forman at an open pit Gold
I've run nothing but CAT, Hitachi, and Volvo so far, and from an operators stand point(because I've never owned one or had to pay out of pocket for maintenance and such), out of the machines I've run, CAT wins hands down for comfort, power, and reliability. Our main problem with our Hitachi's is the electrical issues. I've only run one Volvo, a 600 with a 4.5 yard bucket. It was nice to run but spent more time down than up. We had a CAT 5230 shovel that we got an award for over a million man hours, highest in the world for that shovel. towards the end she was held together with chains, binders, and bailing wire, but would still out dig our Hitachi 3500 in hard rock digging. Hitachi seemed to make their boom and stick longer for better reach but in affect gave them less break out power in hard digging. In good digging(which is seldom seen here..LOL), the Hitachi's would smoke the CAT's with their swing speed. We grew bigger than CAT makes, so our excavators and shovels are all Hitachi now but we sure miss the CATS.

Last edited:

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
Kobelco....... In all my years with the Kobelco dealership we NEVER lost a sale to Cat in a side by side on the job demo.

2nd and 3rd would be Deere/Hitchi or Komatsu

Last edited:

B.U.S.I.

Occupation
Owner operator
My 2 cents........Mid size excavators I like Komatsu. Lately I had a chance to run a PC 228LC. Very nice. For 30 tonne sizes, I always liked the Cat 330 - sold ours after 8900hrs and she always dug hard for us. For little minis, so many good choices, Deere and Hitachi are really tough. Komatsu and Takeuchi are also very good.

zxa

like doosan..inexpensive to own,with good productivity...hitachi is a nice machine too!! on mini world, i think that kubota is one of the top brand..

B.U.S.I.

Occupation
Owner operator
like doosan..inexpensive to own,with good productivity...hitachi is a nice machine too!! on mini world, i think that kubota is one of the top brand..

Is Doosan making the Bobcat Minis now? Only seen a few big Doosans around here.