• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

which accounting software do you recommend? or like? quickbooks pro. quicken?

planetshapers

hey.

i have to start over in business.

and i want to do it right. start with software to keep track.

i want to be able to download my bank statement.

and do invoices.

and keep track of multiple credit cards.

i will use it for my personal bank account, and my business account.

etc....

i see quicken for home and small business. it is at wal mart for $90.00.
(my bank says this is most popular)..

i see quickbooks pro at wal mart for $180.00

and then i hear about quickbooks contractor edition.

i own microsoft money 2001. but for some reason i cant download my bank account to it!

so someone help.
tell me what to choose or do...and where to buy.

should i download the software or buy it at a store?
if i download it..can i save it to disk? or am i better off buying the disk and keeping it?

thanks!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've used Quickbooks since I started my business, I think I'm currently using the 2007 version. It does everything I need it to, but I haven't tried to do some of the things you ask. If you buy, I'd get the hard disc to have on hand. If at some time in the future you have to use a different computer, you'll be able to reload the program. After a period of time, Quickbooks no longer supports older versions and you'd be forced to purchase new again.

MrKomatsu

Quickbooks has been around for awhile////good for small business....inventory control and banking...billing.. every thing you need...there is next for windows super good program..but it expensive...

Komatsu 150

I've been using Quickbooks for some years after looking at a lot of different ones. It's a definite love/hate thing. The more I use it the more annoying it can be. The contractor version is mostly added bells and whistles. Pro works well for the most part and will do everything you want except the bank statement thing. I just don't think anyone has that down yet except maybe Quicken and it is much less capable than Quickbooks. Just my opinion.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I've used Quickbooks since I started my business, I think I'm currently using the 2007 version. It does everything I need it to, but I haven't tried to do some of the things you ask. If you buy, I'd get the hard disc to have on hand. If at some time in the future you have to use a different computer, you'll be able to reload the program. After a period of time, Quickbooks no longer supports older versions and you'd be forced to purchase new again.
I use QB Pro '07 and when I emailed out some invoices today I got a message saying that after May 31 I would no longer be able to use the email service as '07 was no longer supported. As Komatsu 150 said, definitely a love hate relationship. I love the program, hate Intuit and their forced upgrade policies.

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
We use quickbooks, Just learn it right. I took over for an accountant last October and had quite a surprise this tax season. Now I know how it works though:bash

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I first bought Quickbooks Pro in 2001. I just upgraded to 2010 this year and was dreading the migration to the new software. Anyway it took a little thought, OK a lot of thought, but when I got done the thing works perfect.

There is a big learning curve when you first start but it was a heck of a lot easier than some of the other programs I've tried. You don't have to have an accounting degree to make it work.

I recommend it.

Simon L

What we use in my business

In my case, I use an online software whose name is Tiolive.

Since I started my business, I have always run everything with Tiolive (accounting, invoices, clients, suppliers, ...).

What I liked first was that there was no need of configuration and that I could use it for free. Maybe it could be a good solution to you too.

genesis

I have used Quickbooks from the beginning in 2000.
My accountant uses it also so it easily passes back and forth between us.
We also buy the upgrades.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
If anyone is a member of BJ's Wholesale Club they recently sent out a book of coupons that had $60 off of QB Pro 2010 or QB Premier 2010. That got my price down to $85 plus tax for QB Pro 2010.

Muffler-man

Quickbooks pro 2010. Just starting up as well. Any questions you might have on quickbooks, can be answered by videos up on youtube, making it super easy to follow right along.

Acivil

Anyone tried Maxwell Systems Street Smarts or other PM/Accounting software? I have all of the estimating/takeoff/digitizing programs, and have been using quickbooks for accounting, but it lacks what I'm looking for in the project managment department. Just been thinking of streamlining the whole thing to one software co... any thoughts?

Stevenbrla

I've been using QB 2008, no issues (yet).

As pointed out, one of the biggest advantages is probably that virtually every accountant is familiar with QB, so when/if you need accountant help... you can simply download your file... let them work with it... and reload whatever they do with it.

As you probably know, some accounting things can be a little complicated (for me... buying selling equipment, input and output of cash to myself, etc)... and my favorite account has become "Ask my accountant".

Then again, if you have a favorite accountant... ask them what they like.

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I have QB 2010 and love it.