• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where not to park an excavator

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
Well some info first.
Early this morning they trucked in 15 truckloads of blast rock for a better base.
Dropped off this AM was a 345D L from Toromont.
The crane is good for 250 tons. Cost for the crane is $600 an hour with a 8 hour min.
The force required to pull the machine up was 60 tons.
The guys who went into the water were from out of town, not sure on their cost.
Once they hooked up and started to lift it might have taken 4min at most to hoist it up then swing it over.

I was waiting around for a bit as they were going to swing the machine so everything lined up for the float. Unfortunatly it was taking too much time and before loading onto the float they were going to remove the bucket/stick assembly as they can't fold it for transport.

For all the pics, I've added em to http://community.webshots.com/album/564666641WtxgdP?start=0
looks like the craine cought a CAT fish:pointhead

surfer-joe

The entire electrical system will have to be replaced, computers, wiring harnesses, switches, gauges, senders -- everything. The hydraulic system will need to be removed and flushed out or rebuilt, every hose, pump, and cylinder. The engine can possibly be flushed, unless it was running when it went in the drink, in that case it's probably ruined and will need rebuilding or replacement. Pump drives and final drives will need to be drained and flushed as will the swing gear. Even then, you never get all the water unless the component is removed and torn down, then cleaned and rebuilt. All cab upholstery and soundproofing will need to be replaced, it will never dry out and smell normal again. All in all an expensive proposition. I saw what happened to a Komatsu PC-650 that went into a pond in Utah a few years ago. It was nothing but a huge lemon afterwards because the company went cheap trying to fix it. They did not replace the items mentioned above, and paid for the stupidity of not doing the job right. After a couple of months of continous problems and downtime, the machine was sold for scrap.

Iron Horse

I do'nt see any wet or muddy spoils anywhere and he has a digging bucket attached . The work lights are also on , i wonder if it was dark when it happened or if he may have put his hoof on the switch when he climbed out .

06bowtie_guy

That or he was dredging out material and was too close to the edge, started to swing the spoils around and the bank gave out and he went for a slide.

According to the workers that is what happend. Ended up removing rock to close to himself.
They are replacing the culvert but before that project it was decided to dredge the bay. They brought in rock for a long reach excavator to work from. This machine was removing the rock that was brought in for the "finger" made.

It was running when it went into the drink. Was a nice sunny day.

D5G

probably something stupid like destroying the envoirnment or something. Might as well call that machine toast.

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
You can get charged for having an accident???????

oh yea! heck you can get charged foe farting to loud if the rite person hears it. :mad: whats the world comming to.:pointhead

cat 385

The entire electrical system will have to be replaced, computers, wiring harnesses, switches, gauges, senders -- everything. The hydraulic system will need to be removed and flushed out or rebuilt, every hose, pump, and cylinder. The engine can possibly be flushed, unless it was running when it went in the drink, in that case it's probably ruined and will need rebuilding or replacement. Pump drives and final drives will need to be drained and flushed as will the swing gear. Even then, you never get all the water unless the component is removed and torn down, then cleaned and rebuilt. All cab upholstery and soundproofing will need to be replaced, it will never dry out and smell normal again. All in all an expensive proposition. I saw what happened to a Komatsu PC-650 that went into a pond in Utah a few years ago. It was nothing but a huge lemon afterwards because the company went cheap trying to fix it. They did not replace the items mentioned above, and paid for the stupidity of not doing the job right. After a couple of months of continous problems and downtime, the machine was sold for scrap.
leadcore,--slag yard?

Iron Horse

oh yea! heck you can get charged foe farting to loud if the rite person hears it. :mad: whats the world comming to.:pointhead

It's really sick......We have shooting galleries with child minding facilities for drug'os to shoot up . We constantly see murderers and rapists get off scott free . Our governments are so corrupt that they get away with murder , 911 . Yet hard working folk who are in the real world where DooDoo happens can be charged for having an accident :beatsme.

Jacob

It's really sick......We have shooting galleries with child minding facilities for drug'os to shoot up . We constantly see murderers and rapists get off scott free . Our governments are so corrupt that they get away with murder , 911 . Yet hard working folk who are in the real world where DooDoo happens can be charged for having an accident :beatsme.

Just the same over,fat assed and corrupted .Legislation is killing and dictating our already hard lives,sometimes i wonder is it really worth trying to earn an honest crust,or take the easy option like so many lowlifes and live of the goverment and the honest and hard working people, but hey i've got pride ..rant over sorry:D .. Was the operator of the Cat ok ??

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
According to the workers that is what happend. Ended up removing rock to close to himself.
They are replacing the culvert but before that project it was decided to dredge the bay. They brought in rock for a long reach excavator to work from. This machine was removing the rock that was brought in for the "finger" made.

It was running when it went into the drink. Was a nice sunny day.

If he had been a bit slower is getting out of the cab ( left engine running he was in that much of a hurry :mad: ) and a bit quicker at slewing back the other way, which would have got quicker as the angle got steeper :) he might have got wet but saved the machine :IMO

Lesson, if you are digging from an unknown base ( did he place the rock for the long reach :beatsme ) track back from the edge BEFORE you slew, its a lot safer. To his credit he was working over his idlers :rolleyes:

Credit to the water babes who slung it :yup :thumbsup
and thanks for the pictures 06bowtie_guy

Last edited:

DigDug

Bummer on the Cat . And I'm no crane operator , but I would have been leary on placing the crane outrigger so close to the edge of the pad
Pic#3 . Looks like the crane could have gone for a swim also. Oh well , maybe I'm a worry wart.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Bummer on the Cat . And I'm no crane operator , but I would have been leary on placing the crane outrigger so close to the edge of the pad
Pic#3 . Looks like the crane could have gone for a swim also. Oh well , maybe I'm a worry wart.

I must admit I was suprised not to see bigger pads under that side, but it might have been on steel plates ( but I doubt it :) )
It is stated that 15 extra truck loads of stone were hauled in that morning so I am guessing somebody took some serious intrest in the placing of that stone. :D

dayexco

actually.....the operator was ashamed to be operating a cat....and stuffed it into the lake intentionally so he wouldn't have to be seen running it.