• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where is the Fuel Filter on a D6C 10k

NWForest

I haven’t had this machine long and was building some road with it. It was running fine but I noticed the fuel pressure gauge was a little low, just below the normal green. Then after a couple hours it started to sputter and then quit. Now it won’t start and there’s no smoke coming out of the stack when I crank it, as there usually is. I think it isn’t getting fuel, so I was going to check the fuel filter, but I don’t see a fuel filter on this machine. Where would the fuel filter be?

.RC.

If it an older one it will be an element type, not a spin on.

Also there will be at least one gauze filter somewhere between the tank and the main filter. Seems many people forget about them.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
on the 10k both are on in right side on an under fuel pump one will have strap and look like old glass bowl but steal other should be spin on,if no fuel flow check valve under tank they will stop up too; if still there should be one to drain water an junk out of sump.

D6c10K

My 10k is like the above description....spin on filter at the fuel pump. Square glass "filter" behind fuel pump is really a water separator.
Be aware that if you replace it that you can get either a water separator or filter that fits the same base... you want the separator. That same style was used on JD tractors and can be found at Napa. If your filter is plugged the fuel pressure gauge should read low.

Last edited:

NWForest

I think you have a problem in your fuel tank to. :(

That is my concern now too. Anyone have tips for cleaning out the fuel tank? I know it has a drain plug. Probably a good time to replace the shut off valve which has a slow drip.

Good call Nige on the manual. I have already ordered one, waiting for delivery. If only I could go back in time and give one to the previous owner.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I would say you would need to run some Fuel treatment with an algicide in it even after everything appears to be cleaned out. Not sure what is considered the best these days.

And that is the fuel strainer how about the fuel filter? I think I'd be buying a few of the filters and at least one spare strainer and seal for the strainer so I could swap them out every day till they look as clean as when they were put in!

I'm thinking, as I don't have the S/N to be 100% sure, the spin on filter would be a 1R0750 and the original number was a 1P2299, and considering the looks of that strainer that might be what is on there now!

Last edited:

NWForest

The serial is 10K7200.

Someone who I thought knew what he was talking about told me that spin on filter was an oil filter. That’s why I wasn’t sure about the fuel filter. I had the engine serviced before I started running it and they changed the spin on fuel filter. I know that because they wrote the date on it. I am guessing they probably checked or cleaned the screen too.

What I think what may have happened is that morning I fueled it up while the engine was warming up, maybe stirred up some gunk while the engine was sucking fuel out.

kshansen

Occupation
Just to be clear there should be two different spin on filters on the engine. One for engine oil and one for fuel oil. That little screen in the steel cup is only there to keep the rocks out of the transfer pump. Unless I'm more confused than normal the oil filter would be in the left side of the engine and the spin on fuel filter would be on the right side.

Agree with Tinkerer on pulling that little strainer after a few hours. To me if it got that bad after only a few hours running you must have a very dirty fuel tank!

Any chance of posting a picture or two of the engine. SIS seems to be not helping me know what fuel system this machine actually has, one place it seems to say it is sleeve metering and another scroll metering and even the location of the spin on fuel filter seems to be inconsistent!
And they don't show the "As Shipped" information for that serial number. Cat seems to lump all 3306 engine into one big group of engines and sorting out which one you have is a chore with out seeing it in person!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That little screen in the steel cup is only there to keep the rocks out of the transfer pump.
The vernacular expression is "tree branches, dogs, & small children"........

And depending on the last time that screen was removed I am also of the opinion that you potentially have major contamination issues inside the tank.

Delmer

If you have a drain on the fuel tank, it's not that hard to flush most of that garbage out. Get some clean white buckets, or cut off 15 gallon barrels, or whatever. Drain the tank into the buckets, set them on the roof, let settle for five minutes, siphon back into the tank while draining at the same time into another clean bucket. Use a section of garden hose for the siphon, move it around the tank to rinse better, make sure to keep the siphon off the bottom of your bucket to avoid the garbage, keep some weight in the bucket so you don't pull it over on your head, ten pound piece of steel in the bottom of the bucket would be nice. Repeat until there's no more garbage settling out on the bottom of the bucket. In an hour or two you can get most of the loose stuff out of the tank, put most of the diesel back in after it's settled, and have five gallons of garbage to start a fire.

kshansen

Occupation
The vernacular expression is "tree branches, dogs, & small children"........

And depending on the last time that screen was removed I am also of the opinion that you potentially have major contamination issues inside the tank.
That's the one I was trying to remember!

kshansen

Occupation
If you have a drain on the fuel tank, it's not that hard to flush most of that garbage out. Get some clean white buckets, or cut off 15 gallon barrels, or whatever. Drain the tank into the buckets, set them on the roof, let settle for five minutes, siphon back into the tank while draining at the same time into another clean bucket. Use a section of garden hose for the siphon, move it around the tank to rinse better, make sure to keep the siphon off the bottom of your bucket to avoid the garbage, keep some weight in the bucket so you don't pull it over on your head, ten pound piece of steel in the bottom of the bucket would be nice. Repeat until there's no more garbage settling out on the bottom of the bucket. In an hour or two you can get most of the loose stuff out of the tank, put most of the diesel back in after it's settled, and have five gallons of garbage to start a fire.
Yep the trick is to keep the siphon in the clean fuel. The rocks and mud will settle out but the tree branches and dogs doing the doggy paddle will be at the top and you can never tell where the small children will be hiding!

NWForest

I installed a clean screen. Pumped the primer until fuel was coming out of the valve above the spin on filter. Cranked the engine and got a little bit of smoke coming out of the stack but not as much as usual. Cracked each of the lines on the injectors and pumped until fuel came out. Except for the one behind the turbo that I couldn’t get the wrench that I had on. Too many things in the way. Still only a little smoke and no start.

The primer pump leaks fuel when pumping, not sure if that could be a problem for the engine running. Maybe pulling in air? Also If I pump the primer pump enough, fuel comes out of the drain hose at the bottom. I think I read in another forum that that was normal.

I should have thought to take a picture of the fuel system while I was there. I will have to do that next time I am there. The fuel system is on the right side of the engine and the spin on filter is for fuel. I removed it and it does have fuel in it.