• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where is the Fuel Filter on a D6C 10k

Tinkerer

All the crap in the fuel tank may be preventing the fuel to flow.
If you can feel resistance on the down-stroke of the primer pump it should be pumping fuel.
No fuel should be coming out of whatever you are referring to.
Crack the injector lines again one at a time. Pump fuel until air bubbles come out with the fuel. Then pump until there are no air bubbles.
I used to apply air pressure to the fuel tank filler cap. The vent hole.
I rarely used the primer pump.
I changed so many fuel filters when I ran a service truck that I knew the (Cat) filter part number for every piece I worked on. It was a bunch of them (machines).

NWForest

There is a drain hose coming down below the fuel pump. When I build up pressure with the priming pump fuel comes out of that hose. Could that mean the fuel pump is bad?

D6c10K

Assuming you have the sleeve metering fuel pump, the drain is to keep fuel from a leaking pump shaft seal from draining into the engine oil.
If it's just a little you might be able to put up with it for a while. The danger is if the hose gets plugged it might drain into the engine.
There's also a second drain hose that comes off the priming hand pump. It has a little needle valve which could be the source of your leak.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
i use a shop vac on a empty fuel tank works real well dont have to take tanks off someone on here made a suck bucket would work real well, filters are cheap fuel pumps are not.

NWForest

The part that I didn’t mention is that being a D6 Cat in the forest of the Pacific Northwest, of course it quit running in a place where only a D6 Cat can go. In terrain that would make it a little difficult to get an air compressor to it.

Today I finally got a chance to get back up to it. I bled the injectors more thoroughly with the priming pump. And I brought a thinner wrench so I could get it on the injector behind the turbo that I couldn’t before. Fuel comes out of that tube at the bottom of the pump when I pump the priming pump. But If I Crack the injectors it doesn’t come out of that tube if pressure is being released. I’m not sure if that is normal or not.

After bleeding all cylinders I cranked it and immediately black smoke, it sputtered a little and started running after just a few seconds. It ran as smooth as a new Cat as usual for the next hour while I finished my road. Fuel pressure was back to normal.

I will check the fuel screen another time when it’s not 95° outside. Then to clean out the fuel tank.

thanks for all your help everyone.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I will check the fuel screen another time when it’s not 95° outside. Then to clean out the fuel tank.

thanks for all your help everyone.

Yea! next time it will be in the middle of a mud hole and raining if your luck is anything like mine!

dozr

Occupation
excaving
one sure thing they will never make it easy,my d5b has glass jd stile fitler and spin on forgot how many times be runing good get done with job go to get it , it would quit on ramps,talk about a few bad words. got to where i put one in lowboy truck.

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
That little fuel screen is in the fuel injector pump (has transfer pump as part of the assembly?? ) on the right side of the engine?

My old 10K 3306 turbo has been sitting since I got it mostly and I need to do some maint before using it. Ill try to attach a pic of my inj pump. Ill pull the side covers before working on it. This style pump have transfer pump on front of it?

I saw online some of these engines have a transfer pump on the left fwd side of the engine? Looking at my engine through the little side access door I dont see anything looking like a fuel pump on the left. I see engine oil system stuff and hydraulic (stuff).

My fuel supply tube/ hose going to the square glass filter/sep comes from the rear of the tractor. Is the yellow hard line coming from the front of the inj pump towards the rear a fuel return line?

Attachments

• 20201120_170533.jpg
    20201120_170533.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Well they told me over on the acmoc that my inj pump will have the transfer pump and strainer towards the front.

56wrench

i think someone has cobbled together those fuel lines, especially the one between the separator and the spin-on. it should go from the separator to the hand primer and then to the spin-on or something like that. the spin-on should be after the hand primer. i could be wrong though- its been many years since i worked on one

56wrench

to me it looks like a sleeve-metering pump. also, the gear transfer pump should be in the front section of the injection pump just behind the tapered part of the shaft where the drive gear mounts. the injection pump has to be removed to change the seals if they are leaking. a relatively easy repair