• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where has Nige been ?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Hope you had a great vacation Nige:) Looks like the rod journal got pretty warm in the picture. Spun bearing? :beatsme
Give that man a gold star. Actually what happened was that the oil cooler developed a leak and let coolant (glycol) into the engine oil. Of course in short order that took the LTO off the crankshaft bearings. #9 & 10 (those in the picture) were simply the first to fail. We haven't pulled it apart yet - hardly worth it in view of the damage IMO - but I suspect all the crankshaft bearings will have signs of stress on them. In typical fashion the oil analysis results indicating positive glycol arrived the day after the engine failed ............... bugger.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
3516B acksherley. Good thought but in my experience if they hydraulic with water down the exhaust while stopped they tend to blow the injector out of the affected hole.

Guess I was thinking like a Detroit mechanic, seen a few do that. But then the burn marks on the rod would contraindicate that failure.

td25c

Give that man a gold star. Actually what happened was that the oil cooler developed a leak and let coolant (glycol) into the engine oil. Of course in short order that took the LTO off the crankshaft bearings. #9 & 10 (those in the picture) were simply the first to fail. We haven't pulled it apart yet - hardly worth it in view of the damage IMO - but I suspect all the crankshaft bearings will have signs of stress on them. In typical fashion the oil analysis results indicating positive glycol arrived the day after the engine failed ............... bugger.

See what happens Nige........ You take a well deserved vacation and all heck breaks loose back at the shop:D

Keep up the good work mate:thumbsup

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Problem is that it was my department who failed to call it (there was a very subtle sign on the previous sample analysis - lead went from 0-1 to 2 but unless you were really experienced in 3500 engine oil analysis interpretation it probably wouldn't have registered) so despite the fact I was on vacation when it happened I have to hold my hand up and take the hit. There goes my bonus I guess.......

kshansen

Occupation
Problem is that it was my department who failed to call it (there was a very subtle sign on the previous sample analysis - lead went from 0-1 to 2 but unless you were really experienced in 3500 engine oil analysis interpretation it probably wouldn't have registered) so despite the fact I was on vacation when it happened I have to hold my hand up and take the hit. There goes my bonus I guess.......

I'm a little surprised that there was no indication of a coolant leak like white slime from condensation on the filler cap and dipstick. Unless this thing is running so warm down there to keep the moisture evaporated.

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
Was that a really well played thread hijack? :confused:

Back to the beaches. I'm on my way to Cancun at the end of January to help recover from back surgery. Two disk removed and some screws and plates put in to help hold things together. I've ben out of my service truck 3 weeks and getting board. I figger the warm beaches Mexico are better than than the winter w'ere having in Michigan! If you see a guy with a ugly back brace sitting in the shade say hi. wes

kshansen

Occupation
Back to the beaches. I'm on my way to Cancun at the end of January to help recover from back surgery. Two disk removed and some screws and plates put in to help hold things together. I've ben out of my service truck 3 weeks and getting board. I figger the warm beaches Mexico are better than than the winter w'ere having in Michigan! If you see a guy with a ugly back brace sitting in the shade say hi. wes

I hope they used a good grade of stainless steel in those repairs, would hate to have you getting rusted up from the salt water. Then again probably less salt in the ocen in Cancun than the roads in Mich.!

Take time to heal the kobelcos can wait for you.