• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where are all the bargains?

Legdoc

If things are so tough everywhere as reported in the news where are the bargains? If one is to believe the media I would think individuals and business would be letting their excess "stuff" go at firesale prices.

stuvecorp

I have heard of some crazy auction prices but that was secondhand(I believe the source). I missed out on a Groundhog scraper attachment for $2,550($12,000 new) that was as close to new as you get. Stuff is out there, just gotta peek in the corners.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
There were some good deals at this auction - http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/equip/auction.jsp?groupId=2175

'06 420D's in the $30K range
'06 D5G w/ ripper A/C, 1300 hours $58K.
'06 315CL w/ thumb, 937 hours, $71K.

Those would qualify in my terms as "fire sale" prices, seeing that I own 1 of each. Basically 1/2 price of a new one.:cool2

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
There were some good deals at this auction - http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/equip/auction.jsp?groupId=2175

'06 420D's in the $30K range
'06 D5G w/ ripper A/C, 1300 hours $58K.
'06 315CL w/ thumb, 937 hours, $71K.

Those would qualify in my terms as "fire sale" prices, seeing that I own 1 of each. Basically 1/2 price of a new one.:cool2

When I saw what some Gradall forklifts are going for on ironplanet I was shocked some real good deals. 4-5 year old machines were going for 30% of their price or less. Wish I had money to spend.:Banghead

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've been looking at class 8 trucks on Ebay, there's a bunch of them out there at bargain prices as well. I'm in the same boat as you Speedpup, no money to spend:beatsme

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I saw a 1984 18 wheeler with an aluminum body on ironplanet and it looked very clean tractor and trailer. It went for 17,400. Not that I have a clue but it looked like a great rig. There is a GMC C7500 on Ebay cab chassis an 04 with 114 miles and a gasser which is fine for me. It is at 10,400 with no bids. My 1984 truck now is clean and a C7000 with a 18' flatbed 28,000 GVW.

I have 55,000 original miles on it since 1984 366 gasser. Before that I had a 1975 C5000 Chevy which had the same body and dash. I have been looking at the same basic truck for 33+ years:pointhead Even though truck is good and I would never sell it, I yearn for a new truck. I am afraid to buy anything now as work is slim and the future looks grim in the masonry business. Sucks to see this stuff given away and I don't have the nuts to buy a piece or two.
:( Guess I'll keep what I have running. Just gave up on my 4 mortar mixers that were running for me since mid 80's with Wisconsins 9.2's. The motors were still good they rest was going to hell.

I have Lulls but always wanted to try a Gradall and for 25 grand I could get a great one. Guess I'll try to make money and beat the curve before prices go up. Sad economy we are in but since starting in 1975 I have seen some crappy times.:crying

Last edited:

DPete

There are alot of rental outfits sending low hour machines to auction. log on to Richie Bros and you can watch the auctions live if you're interested and have the time. Iron Planet too as mentioned above

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
go to a ritchie brothers auction and the prices will blow your mind how low they are

heavylift

got watch ritchie bros ...a lot of the stuff just has a paint overhaul..

I worked for a company several years ago... sent a 312 to Texas.... It needed about 20grand in work done to it...
They got the shaft also with a gray market Komatsu..... It was purty... but you couldn't get a two foot bucket in a 4 foot hole without hitting both sides of the ditch several times.
Plus they come with the Fm radio that won't pick up but a few channel on the low side of FM

thirdcoaster

Occupation
Slumlord
I found a brand-new 2008 Case 580 SM backhoe leftover from a failed dealer's inventory. The dealership that bought the failed one made me "a deal I couldn't refuse". They were just unloading all the old stuff.

I watched three brand-new Gehl skidsteers go across the block at Ritchie Bros in Houston. I don't remember the prices, but do remember being shocked at how cheap they were.

swampdog

I've been looking for a used gravel screener, something located in Alberta or Saskatchewan, and can't find anything at a good price. Machinery trader has lots (mostly in eastern or midwest US), but the prices seem very high. I've been watching Ritchie Bros sales in western Canada; they list very few gravel screeners.

On the other hand, used excavators are going cheap.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think the guys in the most trouble likely owe more on the machine than its worth (which is not hard now days) so they cant just dump the item. The dealer/bank/OEM takes the machine back and resells the machine at market value or close to it.

Guys that owe little or nothing can dump equipment as needed and would likely provide the best opportunity for a "fire sale" price. Auctions are most likely where these machines end up.

I suspect that this Winter will be the doom of many.