• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

When scooping with the front bucket, how do you avoid just pushing it forward continually?

emmett518

Any advice on how to avoid just shoving the stuff that you are scooping forward, instead of quickly getting it into the bucket?
When I scoop, it tends to move a lot forward, rather than into the bucket.

Thanks

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Start your push into the pile and roll the bucket back as you move forward. Light, fluffy material is a challenge only experience will overcome.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Emmett are you talking about that last little bit of material that aggravates the **** out of you trying to get it into the bucket? If so cut the surface below the grade you are shooting for and back drag the remaining material into the hole. Works for any type of loader. The art of it is cutting out the same amount of material left over that won't load in the bucket.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
And now you know why I bought a 4-1 bucket....

Ed

I find them too clunky on a CTL as it easier to cut, flip and back drag or just smear the small remaining amount around. Always wanted one on my 420DIT but sold it before getting one. No desire to have one on the 953C.

Tinkerer

If it isn't in a pile you are asking about--- hit it as fast as you safely can.
I used to clean up windrows created by road-grader operators.
I went pretty dam fast before I would put the bucket down.
After doing it a few times it is easy to know when to stop and roll the bucket back.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
4 way bucket. Depending on the work you do. You'll lose a little bucket capacity due to the extra weight but if you do a lot of tight site work and get skilled your cleanup will amount to two shovels full.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
If you only have a little bit left, and you can't dig under the pile as CM mentioned, you just end up taking small bucket loads at a time. I use a skid loader a lot, and with them it is easy to come in a bit quick, as Tinkerer mentioned, but then you stop sharp too, before you push the pile. There are many times when you can't push the pile because of space limitations. Sometimes you also will need to put the bucket strait down and pull the remnants of the pile back and the grab it again.

crane operator

Don’t know how to run one of those
I've heard of crippling grip loss, where round shovel handles don't fit your hands. Fortunately most guys that have it can still run a joystick or a steering wheel. It typically happens to guys who overuse that grip form in their younger years.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I've heard of crippling grip loss, where round shovel handles don't fit your hands. Fortunately most guys that have it can still run a joystick or a steering wheel. It typically happens to guys who overuse that grip form in their younger years.

For me it's an intense allergic reaction to either hickory or fiberglass handles. Goes for picks, rakes, come-a-longs and the like. It's a brutal affliction but I live with it.