• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

When looking at a cat 225 to purchase

workshoprat92

Thinking of buying a 225 cat. Anyone know what the pros and cons of this model machine are? Also what to look for when looking at this machine? What was their common faults to watch out for?

Thanks

workshoprat92

Does anyone know whats involved in reparing turn table seals and what would this repair typically cost if one had a shop do it?

Also how much leakage is to much. Every one i look at is a little greasy but not dripping wet. Is this normal? Could a hydraulic leak above this in hoses and such end up running down here and make it look like the turn table is a leaker when its not?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know that there are many people left who put wrenching time on those machines. I've only seen a couple of them in the last bunch of years and they were pretty well worn out. I'll try to answer a couple of your questions but only have a passing familiarity with them.

The rubber in seals and hoses is usually figured to only last for about six to seven years on average. The vintage of one of these machines will mean there are a bunch of mixed age hoses and seals so plenty of leakage would be expected. Any oil leaking out of the turn table bearing is likely to be coming from the swing machinery reduction box. Check the level in there and if low I would probably walk away from the machine. I don't know the difference between a one pump and two pump machine. I seem to recall the travel boxes on these machine being linear final drives and not planetary units.

People usually beat these machines up so I would be very mindful of cracks on the house at the base of the boom and on the boom itself.

Good Luck

workshoprat92

John Thanks so much thats all great info!!!! I do understand about old hoses lol as I run some older stuff!!! seems you replace one and the next weakest link then blows. You do em all by the time its all said and done!!! Last time i saved tons of money by buying a box of hose and ends and renting the crimper machine for a day from hyspeco and making my own hoses. Roger on the cracks. Last 225 I looked at on the main boom the holder for the main pin broke off and let the pin spin in the ears on the machine base. needles to say you go from 23 inches of bearing surface to 2 inches and the bores were worn a good 3/4"! Another work ready machine as advertised lol!!! I have seen many 225s with this area reworked so must have been a common issue.

I think your right on the linear final drives. the motor placement is odd and i dont know how they dont get torn off?

On the turn/swing gear box thats great information there!!! that would be why the deere I looked at had no oil in that box or water either with the dipstick tube tore off and open to the elements. Plenty of oil on turn table. Do you have to split the machine to fix it? really wonder how big a project that is? Either way I know better what to look at there. I guess i need to figure out how to check them!