• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your scariest moment on a backhoe?

frogfarmer

While repairing a water main at a busy intersection waiting for the dump truck to maneuver into place I had a set of 7200 Volt primaries hit the hoe and surrounding area. The truck hooked a support wire for a pole with the front bumper while backing into place and the pole snapped. The truck and the pole were on the other side of the road and the truck wasnt even close to where it needed to be so nobody was expecting what happened. Fortunately when the wires crossed they tripped a switch and the power was cut almost immediately (didnt know at the time). It still sounded like a bomb went off in the cab of the hoe. Waited for the fire dept to show up before I even moved. The FD called the utility company and they cut the cables loose and we got back to the main. To this day I watch for overheads and where they might fall. The truck driver was a young inexperienced kid trying to do his best in a tight spot.

rampking

Wow guys some scary events you all have experienced....its good to read these to have in the back of your mind when on a site.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I got a few that will make ya butt pucker… one time ( no not at band camp) when I was just learning how to operate a backhoe. I was digging a pit to bury concrete in, I had a lot of concrete and a new JD 710d to use to dig the pit. I was young and dumb I dug as far and as wide down as she would go. I moved over a couple times and forward a couple times too so this pit was about 30ft by 60ft and as deep as this hoe would dig. I was just blowing and going… until the bank I was sitting on gave way… and me and the hoe were in the pit…. Best thing I was taught was to always wear my seatbelt… and I had it on that day and everyday I’m in a piece of equipment….

Another time I was loading a 590L on a truck with a beavertail style bed on it the truck. It was old and didn’t get driven much it was to the jobsite and back like once a month kind of thing….. Anyway I was done for the day and I was going to bring the hoe and truck back to the yard, to go some where else in the morning. I always left the ramps down so I was just going to drive right up on the truck. Now driving up this ramp always was a little spooky because the front tires on the hoe would carry a little and would make my butt pucker every time. So I came around to drive up on the truck little did I know but one of the tires on the rear of the truck was flat. As soon as I got the rear backhoe tire up on the beavertail the other tire blew from the weight causing the hoe to slide off the truck and slam the driver side down on the dirt…. Both these days were not fun!!!!

250c

Had a worker dump one off the side of a trailer while loading as I watched in horror. I am so glad he didn't try to jump. Btw that was 20yars ago and he still works for me--I think I'll remind him of "the hoe ride" monday lol.