• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
First thing I did was put a fire extinguisher in the hoe.
Hydraulic fluid will literally explode, especially with a fine mist.
That said I’ve used excavators and backhoes over fires for years.
Just don’t dally over flames.
Actually stopped a runaway one time with a co2 extinguisher.

aighead

Good call on the extinguisher reminder. It won't be today but I'll have to remember to pick one up. Which class, anyone know? I assume the water filled is not what I want.

Thanks for the notes for hanging over the fire. I wouldn't leave it in the shoving position, or over the fire for more than maybe 5 seconds or so. Maybe 10-15 seconds for a position, shove, raise up and out of the way? As I sit in my office chair and count while charading operating the backhoe that seems like a long time.

Welder Dave

I always try to keep the exposure to a few seconds.
The hoses won't melt. But the outer rubber wrapper will get damaged quite easily.
I have burnt quite a few junk hoses over the years and noticed it takes a couple of minutes before they start to burn.
Before burning them, I salvage the ends of them and make caps and plugs out of them by welding the barbs shut. I cut the crimp sleeves off of them with a 4 inch angle grinder.
That's a great idea for old hose ends!

aighead

Clearing out the barn. I don't remember if there is a dedicated forklift ING thread but it appears we've discussed it a fair amount here...

So, I've got the over the loader forks (not clamp ons) that I had some trouble with because the hooks are too far forward. The tip was given to add something to the loader side of the forks where they go through the bar, so they stay tight to the top of the loader bucket. For the short term I just zip tied a couple 2x4s to it and it's worked great, needs a bit of adjustment but the zip ties aren't the permanent solution anyway, so for now it works great!

The real reason for this post is I think I showed my camera setup for the forks and it was initially set up up on top of the loader bucket between the hooks. That left some room for improvement, as it was still difficult to see where the forks were in relation to the pallet (or whatever) I'm trying to pick up. I had a brainstorm and bought a magnetic camera mount that I've place inside the bucket and it is amazing! Granted, I'm going slow because the screen is still small and I'm getting used to things but this solution seems to be right on. I also need to remember to take the camera out of the bucket while I'm not lifting but whatever it is sweet!

20221208_121824.jpg

20221208_122151.jpg

20221208_122232.jpg

I even managed to stick a pallet inside the shed, off center and used the fork tip to push the pallet in square!

20221208_122839.jpg

casey518

Nice. When I bought my hoe it had a camera mounted on the front but it didn't work. I assume for the forks. I never bothered with it. But there is a rod on the side of the loader for the "return to dig" function. I was thinking of setting that up somehow to control the bucket angle when using forks. Always a challenge but I'm getting pretty good at guessing.

aighead

I tried using the bucket leveling rod as a guide post for when my forks were level, I put some zip ties at a spot and clipped them so, theoretically, they'd line up just right when the zip tie was touching the static piece. It wasn't a great solution but while it gave me a guess at what was level it wasn't good enough. This camera setup, at least a couple hours into it, is great for not being able to see the forks from the seat. It may be nice to get a 2nd camera for above, like from the top of the bucket, because on a low stack of stuff, like those shelves, I still had no idea where they were compared to the shed. I had to tilt way back to see the front of the pile.

Oxbow

Clearing out the barn. I don't remember if there is a dedicated forklift ING thread but it appears we've discussed it a fair amount here...

So, I've got the over the loader forks (not clamp ons) that I had some trouble with because the hooks are too far forward. The tip was given to add something to the loader side of the forks where they go through the bar, so they stay tight to the top of the loader bucket. For the short term I just zip tied a couple 2x4s to it and it's worked great, needs a bit of adjustment but the zip ties aren't the permanent solution anyway, so for now it works great!

The real reason for this post is I think I showed my camera setup for the forks and it was initially set up up on top of the loader bucket between the hooks. That left some room for improvement, as it was still difficult to see where the forks were in relation to the pallet (or whatever) I'm trying to pick up. I had a brainstorm and bought a magnetic camera mount that I've place inside the bucket and it is amazing! Granted, I'm going slow because the screen is still small and I'm getting used to things but this solution seems to be right on. I also need to remember to take the camera out of the bucket while I'm not lifting but whatever it is sweet!

View attachment 274406

View attachment 274407

View attachment 274408

I even managed to stick a pallet inside the shed, off center and used the fork tip to push the pallet in square!

View attachment 274409
Pretty clever!

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Took advantage of some dry days to spread some "modified" on the "driveway to be". Modified is the goto stuff for base material round here,,, 1 1/2" minus with lots of fines.
KIMG0601.JPG

The only exterior framing I have left are the garage trusses...and a bit of sheathing...
KIMG0602.JPG

Had a crew come in the day before Thanksgiving and shingled what we had done to that point...
Windows and doors are on site so with some more weather luck we have her buttoned up soon!
KIMG0603.JPG

KIMG0593.JPG

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Aighead, Thanks for the pic of the camera in the bucket. I may need this too. I have destroyed several pallets cuz I didnt hit them correctly, cuz I cannot see them.

T-town, Are you putting this whole house up with family, or are there carpenters doing it? Sure is going fast!!
Looking good too!

T-town

Occupation
retired !
The camera in the bucket!! what a idea... thanks aighead...

Hey Swetz... know what you mean about 'that blind spot'....
The house is goin up with mostly family... some friends up on weekends. Paid masons for the foundation walls and paid a roofer 200/sq to install my shingles.
All the rest will cost me food/beverage. ;)
We had a 'big' crew for rasin up walls... but since its just me... and my brother-in-law for a morning shift. The weather has helped us get along... and I'm hoping that continues.
Had some wetness on my 'great room' floor this AM..... thought WTH ??? brand new roof???
Even put in a call to the roofer.... left message. I had put some 'dry' material on the floor to get an idea of any drips... went back in a hour later... no drips... ?? Then saw some snow on window opening...??? inside.. behind tyvek... looked up at my gable soffit ( still open) and saw blown snow on the "ladders". Felt much better about the shingle job then.... top of this hill has some wind!

aighead

Thanks guys, I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of the camera in the bucket before but it does seem to work real well. I, too, have wrecked every pallet I've tried getting with the forks prior to now, even with a helper. The helper part is tough because it's hard to tell your helper to tell you what you know you need to know in your head, and assume they know what you need to know too...

I was moving a different pallet of those same shelves (from the picture above) into the garage and my wife was my helper. I didn't think to tell her exactly how the forks needed to be to do what we were aiming to do, so I made a wreck of the pallet and knocked all the shelves off too, so we had to move them manually, yuck.

T-town- that's an incredible amount of work to be doing family style, I love it! How's your neck?

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Thanks guys...now that there's no more wet ( shingles!!) getting into the crawl space I'm trying to "blow dry" that space.
The neck bones are fusing up well the doc says....I credit the milk I still drink..
Though I did a bit of a fall getting off scaffold and face planted.... but other than some skin.. none the worse for wear. My dear wife is now thinking no more heights for me...?? we'll see

aighead

What's my hoe doing?

Evidently, not starting in the cold weather!

We only got a couple inches of snow last Friday but the big field across the way made for a good opportunity to provide some thick drifts of snow on my road. I got several calls asking to help unstick people. I eventually threw the torpedo heater on it for 20 minutes or so but that was likely after I'd tried starting it cold too much and running down the batteries. Still didn't start. I was hoping to get out and at least clear the drifts so people would stop getting stuck. Plow finally came around, 4 days later, last night.

I plan to go throw the battery tenders on everything in the barn tonight.