• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's the right machine for me?

leadfarmer

I need some help narrowing down what model/size skid steer I should be looking for when I go shopping in the future. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a compact track loader, rather than a skid steer, so I'm open to any suggestion (other than buying something new). I'm not particular to any manufacturer or controls scheme at this point. I'm also not sure how many hours I should be trying to avoid.

Plans for use:
- maintain/improve my south-west PA 23 acre hobby farm, property is mostly gentle to steep sloping ground, clay soil with easily broken shale underneath, 50% wooded with trails, mud is an issue all winter/spring so I will be buying tracks if I get a skid steer, I know I should just leave it parked but the mud season is so long here I'm sure I will have to use it for something
- support my shooting hobby, which means keeping my 180 shooting bay in good shape, moving steel target racks, etc
- support my girlfriend's hobby, 6 horses that live on the property
- support my other hobby of working on trucks, pulling motors, swapping axles, pushing junk vehicles around, etc

Related items I currently own:
- Kubota L3400 with quick attach FEL with bucket + forks and backhoe
- 1983 1 ton K30 Chevy dump truck
- 2011 Ram Cummins 3500 dually and 10k lb gross car trailer for bringing skid steer home
- CAT 955L 85J crawler loader, I plan to sell this once I finish some more clearing and earth moving to help fund the skid steer

Attachments I plan to use:
- primarily buckets, I'm whipping this old farm into shape and landscaping everything, girlfriend wants a riding arena one day, so lots of dirt moving and grading to do
- forks, lots of home improvement stuff getting delivered on pallets, I like to store car parts on pallets
- grapple, really wish I had one for my kubota but I figured I would wait until I get a skid steer
- hydraulic brush hog would be great to have for maintaining trails and tree lines
- maybe a post hole auger

Budget:
- realistically under $20k, less is always better!

Other thoughts:
- I spent 4 summers in my younger days operating a larger NH LS model skid steer with metal tracks, a grapple, and brush hog on a farm, plus a Bobcat rental more recently, so I have some operating experience
- I'm not concerned with AC/heat in this mild climate, or difficulties with getting in and out of some models (I'm 32 and in good shape), but I think I will need some sort of front protection if I get a brush hog for it
- I can fix just about anything when it comes to mechanic work, welding, machining, etc, but my weakness is definitely electronics/computers, so I lean towards older models with simpler systems I can troubleshoot with basic tools, but also recognize there are plenty of benefits to buying newer machines, don't be afraid to steer me towards something older as long as it can do the work
- there's plenty of dealers around me for most manufacturers but I seldom use a dealer for anything given online shopping and information sharing
- I read up a little on vertical vs radial lift, still not sure which I need or if it matters for my use
- I'm not a fan of diesel emissions systems
- I doubt I will be taking a skid steer off my property and doing work for profit, it's pretty unlikely given all the things I plan to do on my property, but I could invest in a larger trailer if justified
- My major concerns are lifting heavy things, earth moving/finish grading, reliability, ease of repairs, and not getting stuck which I know is mostly me being smart with the machine, but it's the concern that keeps bringing me back to a compact track loader instead of a skid steer

So please let me know your thoughts on what I should be shopping for!

62oliver

I had a small Bobcat for many years (732 I think) I did a lot of work with that machine, but it spent a lot of time with the back wheels in the air. A few years ago I got a 1998 case 90xt, I was a little leery because I thought it was maybe "too big". Not a problem at all, it is so much more capable and just a beast and does anything I throw at it. No computer. A few safety switches that act up a bit from time to time, but nothing really. Get a good rock bucket type grapple for it and have fun!!
For what you want (sounds same as me) I prefer tires rather than tracks as they are far less costly to change or maintain. Different if you are making money with your machine, but I'm certainly not haha. Maybe some over tire tracks some day.

tech1234

I am also in the skid steer market and have similar needs to you. Hoping some of the more knowledgeable guys chime in

Ct Farmer

There has been a lot of talk about this on here. Some really good info if you dig around.

I’ve had both wheel and track machines (CTL) and both have advantages. Wheel machines have faster ground speed and generally tolerate pavement better. But, tracks float better on soft ground, have lower ground pressure and usually ride smoother. As a commercial nursery we dig trees that leave holes in our fields, tracks are the only way to go ever them without falling in and or having a really rough ride. Tires are way cheaper than tracks to replace, though we get 3000 plus hours from a set.

As for radial vs vertical lift, I prefer radial as there is usually less frame in the rear of the machine and allows for better visibility. Vertical lift is nice but any decent operator should be able to level a load.

Make sure whatever you get has enough height and reach to load your dump truck. I would test drive as many brands as you can just to see how they feel. Make sure to checking tipping capacity to be sure you can mave what you want to.

If you are considering hydraulic attachments, be sure to check the aux flow rates.

20k will limit your choices somewhat.

leadfarmer

Well I think I'm going to gravitate towards my area of comfort and look for a NH LS180, LS185B, or LS190.

Does anyone know anything about these models that I should pay attention to when buying? Is there anything about these models that won't jive with my needs listed above?

skata

Well I think I'm going to gravitate towards my area of comfort and look for a NH LS180, LS185B, or LS190.

Does anyone know anything about these models that I should pay attention to when buying? Is there anything about these models that won't jive with my needs listed above?
Had a ls190 that had axles that would fall out of the housing.
From what you described, you should get a compact track loader. Your budget is tight. My biggest suggestion is to absolutely avoid asv or cat with asv under carriage.

Tyler d4c

The asv tracks clog in clay bad if i where you id be looking for a 259 sized ctl Im in the johnstown pa area be aware of buying machines off the equpiment jockeys in this area. What part of the woods you from

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I don't think I'd be comfortable with what you're planning to do with less than a 75hp+/- machine. 3000 pound lifting capacity all day long, 4000 if you're careful. If you're spending most of your time in mud, a tracked machine over tires is probably the way to go but it will be more expensive to both buy and maintain. It will also ride harsher on hard surfaces. I'm not really a fan of metal tracks over tires, although they do seem to have their place. High Flow will allow you to run anything you can throw at it and might be required by a brush hog. Something to factor into your choice is dealer support, any brand you decide on should have a respectable dealer nearby.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
A tracked machine would be a good answer and if it was making you money it would be an easy decision to go that way. The issue is if things go wrong with the track machine especially with the drives, it is no fun spending that kind of money on a machine that isn't generating revenue. Combine that with a 20K purchase price ceiling, you could be asking for problems. Equipment values seem pretty high right now, I am not sure what you can find for that kind of money.

A wheeled machine would be cheaper maintain. Your productivity level would be lower perhaps than with a CTL, but its your own time and if it takes you longer to accomplish some of these tasks it is again just your own time. If you could find a 95XT/90XT or a 465/450 and either put the large tires on it (which I think are a significant improvement over the 12X16.5's) or steel tracks you would be able to move in mud. It really comes down to what 20K can buy you as to what your realistic options are.

leadfarmer

The asv tracks clog in clay bad if i where you id be looking for a 259 sized ctl Im in the johnstown pa area be aware of buying machines off the equpiment jockeys in this area. What part of the woods you from

I grew up in Bolivar. Spent a lot of time up in Johnstown and a lot of family is in Richland. I live down by Washington, PA now.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with what you're planning to do with less than a 75hp+/- machine. 3000 pound lifting capacity all day long, 4000 if you're careful. If you're spending most of your time in mud, a tracked machine over tires is probably the way to go but it will be more expensive to both buy and maintain. It will also ride harsher on hard surfaces. I'm not really a fan of metal tracks over tires, although they do seem to have their place. High Flow will allow you to run anything you can throw at it and might be required by a brush hog. Something to factor into your choice is dealer support, any brand you decide on should have a respectable dealer nearby.

My property is fine for a machine with wheels for a large part of the year. I would just be putting metal tracks on when I feel like I HAVE to accomplish something during those wet months. Definitely try to avoid it if possible. I was looking into brush hogs, and it seems there are plenty of low flow options, so I don't think I'm going to go out of my way for a machine with high flow capability.

A tracked machine would be a good answer and if it was making you money it would be an easy decision to go that way. The issue is if things go wrong with the track machine especially with the drives, it is no fun spending that kind of money on a machine that isn't generating revenue. Combine that with a 20K purchase price ceiling, you could be asking for problems. Equipment values seem pretty high right now, I am not sure what you can find for that kind of money.

A wheeled machine would be cheaper maintain. Your productivity level would be lower perhaps than with a CTL, but its your own time and if it takes you longer to accomplish some of these tasks it is again just your own time. If you could find a 95XT/90XT or a 465/450 and either put the large tires on it (which I think are a significant improvement over the 12X16.5's) or steel tracks you would be able to move in mud. It really comes down to what 20K can buy you as to what your realistic options are.

Yup, those thoughts you shared are what have me leaning towards tires over tracks. I have a nice tire changing machine, and always looking for an excuse to use it!

Tyler d4c

I'm standing at the richland sheetz as we speak maybe on day we will cross paths im down washington from time to time

mrbb

I'm a little late here to this tread, but I would like to add some info or food for thought, as for size of machine, IMO due to you have sloped to hills, the larger the better, skid steers SUCK on slopes and all the more so side hills, there made for working on level ground, they TIP super easy
That said, IMO, I think maybe you might be better off with a used backhoe, or a farm type tractor that has a rear(mountable back hoe attachment
, as if you need to dig or work on a side hill they have some advantages over a skid steer! IMO

I live in PA, own lands that sounds like your's sloped to hills, and own a NH LX 865, been a solid machine, but cannot tell you how many times I have ALMOST rolled it doing light work on hills here , has some real pucker factor to things at times
and come spring thaw, or after heavy ground softening rains, things get pretty darn slick, new mud tires and all, not much help, tracks would be nice, but there not something I wish to run yr round or be taking off and on!
a back hoe again, has the HELP of getting UN stuck, higher ground clearance as well!,
the real question I think you need to ask yourself, is what will the machine be used MOST for, and pick a machine for that use, and use based on the land it will be used on!
as in hills/slops or level!
skid steers are great for again LEVEL ground work, moving smaller things in tighter places, but add in a slope or angle to things and they get dangerous fast!

NEXT, any DECENT sized skid steer might be WAY past what your 10 k trailer will LEGALLY carry!
as many are in the 7500+lb range and at a 10k MAX on your trailer and odds are your trailer weighing in at about 3,000 lbs or darn close on average, that has you at PAST max already!
MOST places that sell equipment will deliver, so that is a option you might want to conciser, but if ever needed to move it yourself, the trailer might need to be up graded, and then LEGALLY in PA< so will your driver licence credentials, as anything over 10k, requires a change of lic credentials to be LEGAL any how?

leadfarmer

My trailer is actually 2300 lb empty, so it should work out though it will most likely be close to max weight.

The skid steer won't be used on my steepest hills. I do have a tractor loader backhoe for that work.