• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats the diffrences between...

MetalDragon_boy

Occupation
Work for the Swedish pharmacy
...Komatsu WA800 and WA900?

I was looking through some brochures of Komatsus equipment the other day and I noticed that it is a VERY small diffrence between the WA800 and WA900 wheelloaders.

The numbers are of standard machines.

WA800-3

Operating Weight: 101,130kg (222,955lb)
Horsepower: 603kW (808hp)
Bucket Capacity: 11.0-12.2m3 (14.4-16.0yd3)
Max Dump Height: 6785mm (22'3")

WA900-3

Operating Weight: 102,880kg (226,810lb)
Horsepower: 637kW (853hp)
Bucket Capacity: 11.5-13.0m3 (15.0-17.0yd3)
Max Dump Height: 6960 mm (22'10")

Diffrences:

I have written down how little the diffrences are so you can more easy see.

Operating Weight: 1750kg (3855lb)
Horsepower: 34kW (45hp)
Bucket Capacity: 0.5-0.8m3 (0.6-1yd3)
Max Dump Height: 175mm (6.8")

Anyone knows if it is something else that makes these machines diffrent?

Wulf

The loaders look very much the same but the capacities are different as you identified. Bit more HP, bucket capacity and the frame is reinforced and heavier on the WA900-3.

The WA800-3 has a slight disadvantage in bucket capacity (and HP I think) to the Cat 992 and the WA900-3 has an advantage so its probably a strategic move to have the two machines similar.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I think Wulf hit it already. Some of the guys who have intimate knowledge of strategic model planning may have a better idea, but my assumption parallels Wulf's. Bracketing is a strategy that many manufacturers use, and I think it's something that Cat loses on when it comes to the WA800 and 900. The 800 is pretty much on-a-par with the 992D when it comes to production, so on a level playing field, the WA800 would be an ideal replacement for the 992D because of its increased performance. However, the 992G is a larger loader and is also a step up in production, so I think the WA900 comes in for the customer who is comparing the 992G and its competitors. In short, having a "lost-cost" option isn't all that much more expsensive for the manufacturer if done properly, but seems like it can increase sales in certain markets.

The Cat 262B and 252B are a similar example. They only weigh 50 pounds different!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I think this is why Cat brought out the 991K. Trying to give more options.

Countryboy

Occupation
Countryboy,

What are you hearing about the 991K? My Cat dealer isn't saying much.

First off, Welcome to HEF Hullabaloo! :drinkup

Second off, there is very little that I can say about it. I will say that there is atleast one that has been produced and that I have seen it loading haul trucks. Where? :wink2 , When?, How?......you'll have to fill in the blanks yourself.

Pretty vague huh. :rolleyes: What can I say, its a secretive business. :D

Farmboy, I think their lips are gonna be sealed too.....:Cowboy

Lashlander

First off, Welcome to HEF Hullabaloo! :drinkup

Second off, there is very little that I can say about it. I will say that there is atleast one that has been produced and that I have seen it loading haul trucks. Where? :wink2 , When?, How?......you'll have to fill in the blanks yourself.

Pretty vague huh. :rolleyes: What can I say, its a secretive business. :D

Farmboy, I think their lips are gonna be sealed too.....:Cowboy

I'm wonderin when that camera is gonna show up?

Countryboy

Occupation
Until then, we can always look at a pic of the 3 that we know about.......:rolleyes: :D

The Big Boys.jpg

Countryboy

Occupation
What going on in this pic? Do you get so many looky loos you had to build a grand stand?:D

Naw, thats just a picture I found on the internet. Its that same trio we have though. :cool2

It would be a much nicer picture if the gap between the 992 and the 990 was filled though wouldn't it........:D

Lashlander

I'm thinking it might be but having a little trouble getting confirmation. I'm working on it though! :usa

Countryboy

Occupation
Just to prove that I'm not making this up, heres a release from "Cat UK" that breifly mentions the unspeakable. Hmmm......maybe it will be in the US sometime soon........:rolleyes:

Cat 991K to be shown at Bauma 2007.

In particular, new products include the 953D track-type loader, M318D and M322D material handlers, 906H, 907H and 908H compact wheel loaders, 256C skid-steer loader, 297C multi terrain loader, TH246 telehandler, 991K large wheel loader, and 319 DL, 320D and 323D excavators. Many more new products will be on display for the first time in Europe. All Caterpillar products will also be displayed in the new Power Edgeâ„¢ trade dress.

Countryboy

Occupation
Don't really know what this is but it mentions the team that designed the bucket for the 991K. :beatsme

Bucket Design

Title: Caterpillar 991K Bucket Design
Team Number: 5

Description: I am working on the conception and design for a 14CY Spade Nose Rock Bucket designed for Caterpillar’s new 991K Large Wheel Loader. I have been given critical bucket dimensions and specifications that this bucket design must satisfy. The anticipated production release of this machine and bucket are scheduled for 2Q of 2007.
Advisor: David C. Koch

Team Members: Ryan Block