• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats the diffrences between...

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
What going on in this pic? Do you get so many looky loos you had to build a grand stand?:D

It's the 988G, 990F II, and 992G at Tinaja Hills Training Center in Arizona.

Countryboy, thanks for removing the heat... I can't say anything, either (though I don't know that much; I haven't worked with loaders directly). I'm not pleased that the project information was on the internet -- it's a little late now to do anything, but that was online early enough to violate Cat's confidentiality agreements quite a bit.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
It's the 988G, 990F II, and 992G at Tinaja Hills Training Center in Arizona.

Countryboy, thanks for removing the heat... I can't say anything, either (though I don't know that much; I haven't worked with loaders directly). I'm not pleased that the project information was on the internet -- it's a little late now to do anything, but that was online early enough to violate Cat's confidentiality agreements quite a bit.

It was suprisingly easy to find. All I did was type in "991K loader" into yahoo and found both of those sites.

I hope Tigerotor has explained the "mums the word" rule well enough. I know plenty but I got to follow the rules too. :D

Are you familiar with the second site Tiger? Or were you speaking of the Cat UK site about the early release?

alco

Not to try and hijack this thread, but from what I have been told the 988 will stay with the monoboom. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
We are looking to replace an older 988F and if it has the monoboom, I think the 988 will be ruled out since it would more than likely not stand up to the stresses we impose on the boom handling 100 foot 30" pipes. As it is, we can flex the twin arms to the point that the ends of the pipe will touch the ground when the grapple is above the cab. I can only imagine how fast we would twist apart one of the monobooms.

Brian

lars

Sorry to hijack the thread - I was looking at Cat's wheel loader page and saw the claim "Caterpillar builds a complete line of wheel loaders, including the world's largest 994D," at the top of the page. By my count the 994 is 7th in the world behind the LeTorneau L-2350, 1850, 1800, 1400 1350 and Komatsu WA-1200. The L-2350 has twice the bucket capacity of the 994. Cat, I'm calling you out on this one - the little 994 should step aside.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to hijack the thread - I was looking at Cat's wheel loader page and saw the claim "Caterpillar builds a complete line of wheel loaders, including the world's largest 994D," at the top of the page. By my count the 994 is 7th in the world behind the LeTorneau L-2350, 1850, 1800, 1400 1350 and Komatsu WA-1200. The L-2350 has twice the bucket capacity of the 994. Cat, I'm calling you out on this one - the little 994 should step aside.

You are right on this one. When they wrote it, it was the world's largest *mechanical* drive loader, but the Komatsu has since taken that title.

It was suprisingly easy to find. All I did was type in "991K loader" into yahoo and found both of those sites.

I hope Tigerotor has explained the "mums the word" rule well enough. I know plenty but I got to follow the rules too. :D

Are you familiar with the second site Tiger? Or were you speaking of the Cat UK site about the early release?

I agree that it was easy to find. (I'm referring to the university site here.) I suppose that there isn't much information online, which is good, but given that students aren't typically afraid to explain their projects in fair detail (screenshots included), the cop in me says "Beware!" The Cat UK site is actually Cat Corporate Public Affairs business, so if they deem it apt for public dissemination, no amount of product group booing will take it down. (Okay, maybe enough of it will, but probably not complaining by one or two individuals.)

I've come across on this comment as a bit tight-wadded, which wasn't the impression. I'd give you all teddy bears, but that probably wouldn't help. :D

Last edited:

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
OK, so I'm going to Bauma next month and might just be persuaded to spend some time in the Caterpillar booth. Of course, by then the specs and the usual PR photos will be public information. 'Course I'll probably be able to talk with a product manager on the design team, and with my trusty camera, I might be able to get some more-useful images. What, specifically, do you want to know about the 991K, what do you want to see, and how much is it worth to you? :cool2

Larry

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
OK, so I'm going to Bauma next month and might just be persuaded to spend some time in the Caterpillar booth. Of course, by then the specs and the usual PR photos will be public information. 'Course I'll probably be able to talk with a product manager on the design team, and with my trusty camera, I might be able to get some more-useful images. What, specifically, do you want to know about the 991K, what do you want to see, and how much is it worth to you? :cool2

Larry

If the guy there is the large wheel loader (988-994) marketing manager, will you say "hi" to him for me? He knows both me and Patty Maroder. (I don't know if you worked with her...)

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
If the guy there is the large wheel loader (988-994) marketing manager, will you say "hi" to him for me? He knows both me and Patty Maroder. (I don't know if you worked with her...)

I know Patty very well. Miss her already.

Forgive me: I know who you are, but can't recall your name. Please PM me if you don't want to put a name on the board.

Larry