• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Manufacturers Build Komatsu`s Original Parts

As we know Komatsu or any other construction machine manufacturer does not build the 100% of the machine on it`s own.
It would out source some it`s component to another companies to make it for him. is there any list of companies (aka OEMs) who make original spare parts for Komatsu excavators?

Vetech63

Most all manufacturers do this. ……..and I think I now what you are trying to do. The roadblock you are going to run into is those OEM's are usually proprietary to the manufacturer for those particular components.

Most all manufacturers do this. ……..and I think I now what you are trying to do. The roadblock you are going to run into is those OEM's are usually proprietary to the manufacturer for those particular components.
you mean Alison for instance makes gearboxes for Komatsu exclusively?

Vetech63

Usually the proprietaries are for a measured length of time, usually 10 years or so that I have seen. If your machine is out of that range, then aftermarkets could be available. Its always worth checking into.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Companies that build specific parts for equipment are doing so under contract, they get a print, quote it then put it into production. Most often never knowing what it fits.
When the contract duration is done, that's it, the builder moves on. They don't stock replacement parts for Cat, Deere, etc .
Nor do they have a retail sales chain that they sell through as that wouldn't be allowed by contract.

Ed

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Komatsu as far as I know makes more of their own parts than any other manufacturer. They make Cummins engines on their own for their own equipment under license from Cummins. I have yet to find a Cummins dealer that will attempt to supply parts for a Komatsu built engine.
I think there may be other issues with this post. The location shows Tehran which I assume to be in Iran. There are international sanctions currently in force for Iran at this time so I suspect Mr. Rashidii may be looking for another source of parts to keep machines working. If true I think that would make for an interesting discussion.

Usually the proprietaries are for a measured length of time, usually 10 years or so that I have seen. If your machine is out of that range, then aftermarkets could be available. Its always worth checking into.
Yes they are. I’m looking forward to gather a list of companies who make aftermarket parts (even the tiny ones) which Komatsu had been using itself.

Companies that build specific parts for equipment are doing so under contract, they get a print, quote it then put it into production. Most often never knowing what it fits.
When the contract duration is done, that's it, the builder moves on. They don't stock replacement parts for Cat, Deere, etc .
Nor do they have a retail sales chain that they sell through as that wouldn't be allowed by contract.

Ed

That’s right. But is it possible that they make the same product but under their own brand and maybe another part number?

Komatsu as far as I know makes more of their own parts than any other manufacturer. They make Cummins engines on their own for their own equipment under license from Cummins. I have yet to find a Cummins dealer that will attempt to supply parts for a Komatsu built engine.
I think there may be other issues with this post. The location shows Tehran which I assume to be in Iran. There are international sanctions currently in force for Iran at this time so I suspect Mr. Rashidii may be looking for another source of parts to keep machines working. If true I think that would make for an interesting discussion.

You have arrived on the point beautifully my friend. There is no official Komatsu parts distributor here in Iran. Even if find one, the price is so expensive. As a member of a mining company machinery department, we are responsible for providing our machines necessities. Therefore we’re looking to replace Komatsu original parts with other substitutes meanwhile not loosing the quality.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You have a challenge in front of you, and not simply because of your geographical location. I wish you well. I'm sure that you could get a lot of Chinese "will fit" parts of dubious quality, but that will simply make your job even harder.

Many component manufacturers make parts for OEMs such as Cat & Komatsu. Timken bearings are one I can immediately think of. But, and it's a big but, they are prohibited by their licensing agreements to supply the parts to any other organization than the original OEM with whom they have their agreement. Because of that condition and the fact that the parts will generally be made to an OEM design (which differentiates them dimensionally from the manufacturer's "normal" product line - so you can't pick a part from their catalogue that will fit), the component manufacturer will not put at risk their relationship with the OEM to manufacture the same part under another part number and sell it to their general public under that other number.

Last edited:

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
That’s right. But is it possible that they make the same product but under their own brand and maybe another part number?

The company I worked for had 4 plants making parts for oem's, we sold nothing aftermarket or rebranded, nor did we assemble anything. Everything that went out the door was an individual part.

Ed

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Many component manufacturers make parts for OEMs such as Cat & Komatsu. Timken bearings are one I can immediately think of. But, and it's a big but, they are prohibited by their licensing agreements to supply the parts to any other organization than the original OEM with whom they have their agreement.

This is very true. I recall many years ago at the shop we had an old maybe 3/4 to 1 1/2 ton truck that needed transmission work. As it turned out it had a New Process transmission in and the main factory for New Process was maybe 20 miles from our shop. My boss at the time was friends with one of the engineers for New Process.

The two of them got talking and this engineer said give it to me and I'll run it to work and have the guys in the test lab rebuild it for free. Sounded great so my boss gave it to the engineer. Everything was looking good till someone at the factory noticed this particular New Process transmission was a version used in a Chevy truck!

Powers that be at the factory panicked and said don't touch it if General Motors finds out they could sue us for breach of contract! Transmission was returned to me assembled, not rebuilt at all.

Only good thing was the engineer did fill his lunch pail with a good assortment of bits and pieces, actually a few duplicate bits we didn't even need, more than enough to get the transmission back in service!

Pepe

Occupation
Retired
For my smaller PCs I would get my parts from Thailand. They make Komatsu Excavators there & CAT has a big factory in Bangkok. However the tracks are from Korea or Japan for the smaller machines-Japan preferred a little dearer. Never dealt in the bigger models but parts OK. I have had very little problems with the earlier PC20- 60 models--great machines. I had a throttle cable DHL to me down under in 2 days to my farm at a fraction of the cost buying here? Also had my buckets made to my designs?