• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is your favorite

sled dog

Bigger dozer ; 35A D8 with the fuel oil torque converter and of course cable blade. For sheer joy and ease of operation, 8K . Small dozer ; old straight blade 1150 case, or 450 John Deere. Crawler hoe; spent a lot of hours in an old 1500 Insley. Both hands both feet all day, but it was fun. TLB; any of them with 2 sticks. Scraper ; Old open top double barrel 24 with V12 up front. Finishing with a Blademan, I liked the visibility from the seat of an E200 Trashnational. Grader ; Well, I thought I was in heaven on the first 12F, no more swollen wrists from the arm busting straight 12's. That clack clack...clack clack of the 12F is an enjoyable sound. A Cat pony motor cracklin on a cool fall morning, and the singing of the clutch discs on a well adjusted Cat cable control unit. Pickups with manual trans, lockout hubs and floor shift transfer case. For some of you, all of the above has no meaning, for some of you the above tells you that I am an old Dinosaur. So be it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most of my time was wrenching but I did run some stuff enough to understand how they were supposed to be operated.

I loved the old 14A D8s with either the front or rear line controls and Johnson bar shifts. You could do a whole lot more with the 46A but they were boring compared to the manual machines. It's probably the same argument we have today with the electronic machines compared to the manuals. Toyota pickups for the stuff in the mines. Ford pickups for the woods. I started driving dump trucks on old Fords with 3208 Cat and two stick five and fours. Again, you had to be aware and thinking all the time in those. The ten and thirteen speeds just got boring after they became automatic in your head. In wheel loaders I liked the early Komatsu WA600. For smaller loaders, nothing beat a 950 or 966 in any model year. As for graders, the only make for me is Cat in G or H model. On the scraper lines, I've worked on and ran some Letourneau and running them was like being the ball in a pin ball machine. I've worked on TS24 Terex units but never got to run one.

The crane in my avatar was the most fun to operate. The shovel front was removed shortly after that photo was taken and a boom and clamshell were installed. The machine ended up at a company that I worked for years later and they had installed a drag bucket instead of the clam. I ran that at times pulling coal fines out of a settling pond and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Mother Deuce

Big Dozer, D9T preferred it over any 10. Nimble by comparison. Rarely have I been so comfortable with a machine. It would make grade if you just thought about making it flat.
Small Dozer, TD7E great machine. Wish I had one now.
Track loader, 977L 14X with a Petersen bucket
Blade, 16M Sorry I have no love for an antler rack... or ratchets (")
Wheel Loader, 980H... small place John Deere 444 with a 4 in 1
Crane, 110 ton Krupp (now Grove)
TLB Ford 4500/550 The 4500 would dig like crazy but was a club loaderwise. The 550 was a breath of fresh air... then there was the Dynahoe 190
Trucks Anything produced by Paccar will be fine however when I am spending my money it is a Peterbilt
Pickup Dodge/Ram... Do they make another one?

Truck Shop

Because I'm mainly a truck mechanic and was a owner operator years ago I only like old stuff. Kenworth W900A-LH with a 3408 and straight pipes, Cab overs K100's and Pete 352's,
But I have a real love for old Petes pre-1973 with the low cab. I know I have posted photos of my old Pete before and some of you are probably sick of seeing it. That truck handled
winter conditions better than any rig I have ever driven, it was a sure footed old girl. And it was a first off aluminum tilt hood {Oct 1966}. Even though it needed a paint job real bad
it was still a looker because it looked old. Everywhere I went the radio was a-buzz with chatter about my old fender flopper Pete. Everything under it was in real good condition and
that Big Cam III would run, I liked nothing better that passing a shinny new rig with Cat power.

1966 Pete.jpg 1966 Pete II.jpg

petepilot

of all the heavy equip.I have operated the 983 cat track loader is still my pick. and 955l is second choice, little 613 cat paddle pan is a fun mach. to run and will do a lot of dirt movin, john deere backhoes for me work best. i did run an 8240 terex dozer for a couple weeks but prefer loaders, much more versitile. dodge pickups ,kw&pete

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
6-110? The only engines I remember in 82-40's were 8V71s. Not saying it never happened.
Got to play with an 82-50 with a 12V71 once, I kind of liked that one. Also had a local guy that had an old Euclid TC 12 twin powered Dozer, It ran but the poor old thing really needed some expensive love to be anything more than yard art.

Mother Deuce

Dynahoe you say? I have only seen pictures thanks to the wonderful Mr. Keith Haddock and a few for sale. Those really looked like a remarkably we thought out machine for their time. I need a few.
Dynahoe was a machine I grew up with... it is amazing I can hear anything. Those 353's can really bark. Dad was a Dynahoe guy. I was 10 or 11 when the first one showed up and they were with him for a long time. 190's and a 160. I see them tucked up in peoples wards here more frequently then I would think. Mostly 200's here. Stay out of the fish fields with it if you run one. the 190 weighed just short of 20,000. I found this one when my Dad was sick. Near as I could tell it was one he ran for a guy he worked for. I framed a couple of them. He referred to them as photos of the "office."
Dynahoe 190.jpg

petepilot

6-110? The only engines I remember in 82-40's were 8V71s. Not saying it never happened.
Got to play with an 82-50 with a 12V71 once, I kind of liked that one. Also had a local guy that had an old Euclid TC 12 twin powered Dozer, It ran but the poor old thing really needed some expensive love to be anything more than yard art.
this one had an 8 that came unglued was transplanted. campbell bros. n va. area had about 40 pieces of euc,terex eq. ranging from early 50s to when e&t quit building.they could pile some stuff together

Last edited:

petepilot

Dynahoe was a machine I grew up with... it is amazing I can hear anything. Those 353's can really bark. Dad was a Dynahoe guy. I was 10 or 11 when the first one showed up and they were with him for a long time. 190's and a 160. I see them tucked up in peoples wards here more frequently then I would think. Mostly 200's here. Stay out of the fish fields with it if you run one. the 190 weighed just short of 20,000. I found this one when my Dad was sick. Near as I could tell it was one he ran for a guy he worked for. I framed a couple of them. He referred to them as photos of the "office."
View attachment 206832
washington gas light co. had a herd of those

Blocker in MS

The Dynahoe’s were Bucyrus-Erie owned were they not? I remember reading about the big 4x4 model with the four equal sized tires. That looked like quite a machine!

Since I am already thinking of B-E, does anyone have any experience with their all hydraulic excavators of about the some time period?

Blocker in MS

1500 Insley. Both hands both feet all day,

There was sure a FINE looking Insley for sale not all that long ago over in the desert, AZ or NM maybe. The owner had a clam shell, a dragline bucket and the shovel front for it in very nice looking condition. I am not up on my Insley nomenclature, so it very likely was not a 1500.

Mother Deuce

The Dynahoe’s were Bucyrus-Erie owned were they not? I remember reading about the big 4x4 model with the four equal sized tires. That looked like quite a machine!

Since I am already thinking of B-E, does anyone have any experience with their all hydraulic excavators of about the some time period?
Hy-Dynamic Co then B-E.