• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is your favorite loader to run? and why?

Wolf

What is your favorite loader to run? And why is that? What do you like for dirt, for demo and the like?

9420pullpan

i would run a cat track loader preferably 963 B or C over a wheel loader any day of the week. it is a very useful machine on a job site one can do anything with that machine.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
980H...nice machine...tons of nut....fun machine to run..............................worst would be a 950 B or F model....we had B and have an F and they both are underpowered for their size...much rather use a 936 or 938 on the low side or a 966 on the high side instead of the 950's

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I'm a Deere man, but one of the companies I work for were real big on Kawasaki's and they impressed me too. Cats turning radius was just horrible IMO. Those are the only ones I have run and size wise the bigger the better of course. Beside plant work and large utility work IMO wheel loaders are inadequate. Demo and grading can be done, but there are better pieces of equipment for it.

dayexco

we have 2 544 g deeres. love them. there's a lot of good loaders out there now, only one i didn't care for was the case 621

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I haven't run a lot of them, and it's been quite some time since I have, but I fell in love with the JD 844 I used to run in a gravel bank. Very quiet, smooth, and lots of nuts for digging. I've run Komatsu, Samsung, Cat 950 and Michigan 75, none of them can compare.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
928G for sure. I've run a 988B at a pit, that was fun because it was huge and it's cool to tell people you've run a piece that's as tall as their house, but I could see how that would get boring really fast. I have no clue with track loaders, but they look like a kick in the pants. Being able to crawl anywhere and push into a pile with more force than that of a wheeled machine sounds like fun.

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I have ran 953 quite abit it was a old machine it ran pretty good definatly has more digging power over a rubber tired backhoe. I also have ran International T100 quite abit nice little machine.

Track loaders are pretty much the thing of the past around here.

rino1494

We own a Case 450, 955K and a 977L with m/s ripper. I would have to say that the 977 is my favorite to run. Nothing like moving material with that big of a machine.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
oops...well we used to have a JD 450c with a 4in1 and a Backhoe...was great for working in wet areas or to fill in for backhoe jobs...was also good for land clearing to pull the chipper through the woods and pick up wood with the 4i1....don't see any around anymore, 4x4 loader backhoes ended the need in our case and others

Vahighwayman

Occupation
Injury Retired from Virginia D.O.T. Equipment Oper
Best loaders is a hard thing to say, every operator has their preferences, I thought the JD 644G with the tool handler was very versitile to the job you have to do with it. When I needed to move dirt and lots of it, was with the 744H with 4 yrd bucket or kawasaki 380 with the 4 yrd bucket..for comfort..the 744H was it..like said Nothing Runs Like A Deere

D10N

Occupation
Catskinner extraordinaire
My all time favorite is a 992C - good size and power, without the availability issues of the 994's, and none of that irritating STIC steering.

bozoloaderman

Occupation
loader operator in coal mine
994F all the way! Incredible machine, it has balls (1457 of them). Prior to that I preferred Komatsu the best for comfort, speed and breakout force. Management was considering the WA1200 as well as a Letourneau 1350, but Cat won out. I ran a new Kawasaki Z115V feeding crusher, it was quick and could dig hard face well, but it was loaded with planetary, ride control and hyraulic problems from day 1, the company had 2 and they were both replaced by 988G's at about 12000hrs.

Bo

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Steve Frazier said:
Oops!!! I just noticed this thread is in the track loader forum!

Me too oops. Ya an old 977 is the cats meow, but I have sent little time on the newer 963 etc. I demoed a Deere and it was nice having a cab, radio, and AC but it didn't have the power or the size of a 977.

Wolf

Power and Size

Power and size are the key--especially when doing demolition! 977L is the most awesome machine. And it's fun to operate too.

kenw

Occupation
Started residential excavating company in 1978. St
I like the Cat 943 and 953's. Great visibility with engine in the rear.

RentalMan

I've never run a track loader but in the winter I do get to spend a lot time moving snow with our wheel loader. We had a Komatsu for a few months last year and I was just in love. It was sold before I got to spend very much time in it. Every winter I do get plenty of time in our JD 344 the one in my avatar. Its a few years old but the old girl is still a great piece of iron.:thumbsup