• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What are you buying?

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
Gee, I think I just saw a tumbleweed roll by on this site..hello?.....hello?...anybody? :sleeping
Seriously, I'd though I'd try to get the ball rolling on some more activity around here.
I just viewed DKinWA's reply in another thread stating he was considering purchasing a mini-x. That got me thinking..what type of equipment are you considering purchasing (you or your company) this year? Curious to see where the market is headed in different parts of North America. Any attachments going along with the new iron? What kind of work are you seeing increasing in your neck of the woods?
Feel free to add anything, we gotta release this site from the reaper. :)

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Ok, I'll bite since I just finished all my tax work and it's ready for the accountant next week. I'm definitely going to buy a mini-x along with a few other tools. My wife and I were talking about it when she got home from work and she thought buying made sense too:bouncegri Right now, the two possibilities I'm looking at are the CAT 304CR and the 305CR . I've got nothing against the other major makers, but CAT is much closer to me and they treat me well.

They're also trying to gain some market share in the smaller machines and their pricing is pretty competitive. I'm probably looking at a canopy version with hydraulic thumb, auxillary lines, brush rake, manual quick release bucket, and 24 and 36" buckets. Other things I'll probably buy for the business this year are: Wacker plate compactor, new windshields for both my dumptruck and pickup, computer, some welding equipment and the usual replacements for whatever I break :crying I'm not planning on buying much, because my goal for this year is paying off my NH TC40. It's doable, but I'll have to work at it and hope I don't have any expense breakdowns on equipment.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
:dizzy This year I plan to buy a box tine grapple for my 160 and 45 excavtors. Also am considering to trade in my JD 250 skid steer for something bigger like a JD 332 skid steer. I am in the process of specing out a single axle hooklift truck ( Frieghtliner M2, Mack Granite or Volvo VHD) and will also buy a 20 ton tag a long trailer probably a Eager Beaver 20 ton 8 degree loading angle.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
We just bought a Cat 235D this week, kinda beat up but couldnt beat the price, but we'll fix er up enough to run the hammer, and planning on buying the Cat 980H were running for Cat right now if the price works out. Also we need a Cat 950G w/ coupler to replace our 950B that has 20,000 hrs. Prolly 2 pick ups to replace my dad and my uncles 1998's. And if things work out a service truck to compliment the lube truck with atleast a 10,000lbs crane and body mounted on a T300 Kenworth. And if the JD 410C does give up and it seems it may very well, we'll be adding a JD 410G to this list...........Not to mention the thousands of parts we order through out the year and all the hand shovels that get run over etc. Thats how it looks so far as long as nothing disastorious happens. :)

Last edited:

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
Just bought an older Case 850 track loader with a 4 in 1 bucket. The original paint looks rough, but it has low hours, a rebuilt engine and an almost new undercarriage. Am also looking to purchase a used skid loader this winter, if the right deal comes along and I have any cash left!

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
My vote is for a JD110 TLB, with forklift tines, and a good blade added, probably a thumb for the hoe. Probably have to invest in a stronger trailer than the one I have.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'll be looking at compact wheel loaders and most likely will go Cat. They're close by with a full service facility and vcan handle any of my needs.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Steve what size compact loader you loking at. I have been doing some reserch too on compact loaders. Just curious why Cat? Seem to be more expensive for same size loader in other Brands. I am thinking about replacing my skid steer for a compact loader but the $60,000 price seems high.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Looking through the Cat dealer networks you can find many machines in the model your looking for, and varying hours and quality for a lot less then new.....just depends on what your looking to spend.....just a thought

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'll be looking at the 908 if I can land a couple commercial snow accounts for next season. I'll definately be looking at used machines, I don't have enough work to warrant a new one. Why Cat? I'm 10 minutes from H.O. Penn, a fully equipped Cat dealer. They've treated me right with my 248 and I've been impressed with the service from it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums indydave!

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
was looking at some rough terrain forklifts like a Gradall or Lull 1044-54-C. just because they are so cheap now used. Scaffold plank is a must and some paint for equipment and the scaffolding I have now.

ponderosa

i have bought a gehl 373 mini ex,an international plow truck, a toolcat 5600 for my wife and just on fri. a volvo 120h loader if things go right i or 2 more plow trucks one to use one for parts

deer3245

Occupation
construction
I am open to all suggestions. I sell shipping containers (mostly the 20 foot x 8). I have always hired out the trucking. I can justify having my own truck. Typicaly most guys just use the auto wrexker tilt back trucks to deliver them. This is too specific of a truck for me. I would idealy like to have a hoklift truck with bins, to diversify, get more work for the truck etc. I have seen one type of hooklift truck (single axle) with an extra frame behind the cab by the hook that attaches to the hook which is meant for unloading 20 foot containers (shipping containers)-he says it was an ISO truck (the containers are all ISO- as specifacation. He also said it was 110,000. Ouch. Anyone seen or have any ideas of a more cheaper similar idea to possibly have a hook truck that could nicely unload shipping containers as well. Yes lots of questions. Sorry.

maloba

Am new to this forum and heavy machinery but av had some experience running construction material trucks n need to diversify. Got interested in backhoe loaders after a brief feasibility study on return on investment after unfavourable business environment n competition in the truck business. Heavy machinery is still at infancy in Kenya. The major models in our market are cat, jcb, volvo, n komatsu. My target market is construction sites around the capital city (a radius of about 30kms) where a lot building construction is ongoing with major works being foundation excavation(pretty of cotton soil here), digging n loadin murram, n other building materials, landscaping, and minor breaker/hammer applications. My challenges; 1/recommendation on a reliable versatile machine 2/a reasonably priced source to buy from since a visit to our local franchise holders(mantrac), they sell refurbished machines so exorbitantly compared to the cost on the internet factoring in CIF Mombasa (our port of call), they are way out touch with reality 3/ascertaining the quality of the machines sold on the net