• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What am I missing on truck pricing?

emmett518

Looking to pick up a dump truck for the farm, and am finding pricing to be weird. One 2003 10 wheel goes for $70,000. Another, goes for $15.

Is there a reason for this, other than someone’s own ideas of worth?

crane operator

Makes the biggest difference what brand of truck, with engine and transmission combination.

There's a big step between a Peterbilt or KW with a big cat/cummins/detroit engine and 13/15/18 speed, and a old international county truck- with a dt466 or a maxxforce and a 6 speed spicer. Nobody wants a maxxforce.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
As Craneop said it depends on the trucks spec's, condition, maintenance, etc, etc..

What spec's and age are you looking for?

chidog

Everything nowadays is gold plated. Simple as that. Tells me there are just too many millionaires now. Most all that over priced junk is just that. And likely needs everything rebuilt. They may say this or that has been rebuilt, the problem is hardly anyone does a decent job at that anymore. So that means said rebuild may be worse than not being "rebuilt".

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Everything nowadays is gold plated. Simple as that. Tells me there are just too many millionaires now. Most all that over priced junk is just that. And likely needs everything rebuilt. They may say this or that has been rebuilt, the problem is hardly anyone does a decent job at that anymore. So that means said rebuild may be worse than not being "rebuilt".
Or people read "pre-emisson" or "elog exempt" and just throw their bank account at it despite it being ready for the junk heap.

Tyler d4c

Or people read "pre-emisson" or "elog exempt" and just throw their bank account at it despite it being ready for the junk heap.
The facts too personally I can dump some def in it and only have 8 days a month running I realize that doesn't work for most. But atleast here in pa anything elog exempt is a rust bucket anymore.

Delmer

I bet if you saw the trucks in person you'd see why one went for 15 and the other went for 70. If not, then starting and driving would make it obvious.

mx727

I'm told there's a two year or more wait list for new trucks, this has driven up the value of used trucks too.

Not quite that long. My new Western Star was about 10 months. New tractors are starting to populate the lots and stock dump trucks are showing up too.

Truck Shop

Totally correct-Way too much money floating around-people make haphazard decisions when money is
burning a hole in there pocket. And junk it is--A cheap paint job, some chrome lug nut covers a new
chrome stack, a set of cheap brake shoes and Viola $ 75,000 for a 25 year old stressed out pile of sh!t.

Right now a standard on extras 389 Pete-$250,000 full blown with extras $300,000 and 16 months out.
A stinking Freightliner Cascadia $270,000 and 11 months.
A used truck 25 years old and the asking price of $75K and up better be rebuilt down to the bolts holding
the license light on. Because for 75K it better come with all new virgin rubber and Bridgestone's at that.
Right now for a new set of good drive tires not Chinese $ 4,700, steers $1,150, drop axle $875.
And you just got started.

First two things to take a dump the cooling system or the clutch. Remove the radiator and test the
CAC and now it's both $3,000. On and on it goes.

Last edited:

chidog

Truck Shop, how true. And we wonder why all other things are so crazy price wise. It takes those house priced trucks to move the goods. No P discussions allowed, P and not allowed are the main reason for it all.

oifla

Looking to pick up a dump truck for the farm, and am finding pricing to be weird. One 2003 10 wheel goes for $70,000. Another, goes for $15.

Is there a reason for this, other than someone’s own ideas of worth?

I agree - I just bought something today but it took me a long time to find what I wanted at the price I could afford. Prices are crazy and all over the place.

One thing worth remembering: the person listing at the high price may have some crazy idea of how that price is going to help them. For example, I asked a guy who listed a normal and very used single axle way over what might have been a reasonable price ($25K!!!) why it was so high. His answer? It keeps the low ballers away. (OK! Not a good strategy.)

Anyway, when I had a conversation with him, he gave me his real price which was right at what I thought it should be ($15K).

My point? Ask questions, chat them up, make a reasonable offer with your rationale as to why you think their overpriced item should be worth whatever you think its worth (you can use comparisons, etc).

O.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just received a random truck sales ad I will see once a month or so from this place:
newsletter@pr.equipmentexperts.com

Looks like Schnieder dumping end of warranty Cascadias just at or over 500k and “Call for pricing” indicates well outside of reasonable.