• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Western Star 6900XD Haul Truck

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
If you're gunna use 6900's grossing 100 tonnes, here's a tip. Maintain your roads so parts don't break off and you don't blow steer tires.
Only good part is the contractor that does the road maintenance also owns these trucks, LOL

I floated two 326 excavators there to pull on side of box and had two rotator tow trucks there and we couldn't budge it. Next plan dig it out and bring a 349 and a D8.

Attachments

• 1 (Medium).PNG
    1 (Medium).PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • 2 (Medium).PNG
    2 (Medium).PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 3 (Medium).PNG
    3 (Medium).PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • 4 (Medium).PNG
    4 (Medium).PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:

crane operator

Looks like once he got off the side, it just sucked him on in. Soft edges are a b@$trd.

That's a bad spot with the frozen creek and the pond in the ditch. Going to make it tough to get the material out of the bed, and realistically, the only way the truck is coming out- is if the material comes out of the bed.

Any way to route the water around? and fill or mats to get to the other side and dig it out? I suspect the other side of the truck is going to have quite a bit of damage.

I'm with truckshop on the rotator wreckers being over rated. They are nice for dealing with roll overs with minimum room- like on a interstate where they only want to give the recovery guys one lane to work with. They do get to bill pretty heavy to the insurance companies when they send one out though.

Paystar

Occupation
It never gets soft enough around here to sink 2/3 of a dumptruck.
Too many bloody rocks....
Ya, my friends were just in Arizona on an atv ride. I didn't have time to go, but I saw all the pictures....of rock. LOL
Some beautiful scenery though.

And better climate than our 7 months of snow, LOL

Paystar

Occupation
Looks like once he got off the side, it just sucked him on in. Soft edges are a b@$trd.

That's a bad spot with the frozen creek and the pond in the ditch. Going to make it tough to get the material out of the bed, and realistically, the only way the truck is coming out- is if the material comes out of the bed.

Any way to route the water around? and fill or mats to get to the other side and dig it out? I suspect the other side of the truck is going to have quite a bit of damage.

I'm with truckshop on the rotator wreckers being over rated. They are nice for dealing with roll overs with minimum room- like on a interstate where they only want to give the recovery guys one lane to work with. They do get to bill pretty heavy to the insurance companies when they send one out though.
Ya, they dug out what they could but still about a quarter of a load in it. Like you say, they either need to dig it all out or build a road into the swamp. They have been pumping the water out. Luckily no fluids leaking from truck, but they have absorbent booms out.

Well they have two excavators there and a D8 and D6 there now but never started anything yet. But now it's raining.

I knew the tow trucks were going to be useless as soon as I seen the cab and frame rails packed full.

Last ore truck they flipped here a guy I know came out with his 80 ton rotator and ended up breaking the boom off it. Cost him a few hundred thousand in damage. Pretty much had to replace the whole body.

Paystar

Occupation
The problem is they send it out make a showing knowing it's not going to happen turn in a
horrendous bill-when should have just drove out in a pickup looked it over and waved off.
You are absolutely right there. I had a friend who once flipped a set of B-train bulk tankers in a winter storm. A towing company sent out two light duty tow trucks to say they couldn't do it, then sent out two heavies the next day. Then gave him a bill for $35,000 Canadian to just upright it.

Paystar

Occupation
Recovered! Two 329 Cat's and a 450 Hitachi. Now the work begins.

Attachments

• 20230418_121903 (Medium).jpg
    20230418_121903 (Medium).jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230418_121943 (Medium).jpg
    20230418_121943 (Medium).jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230418_121957 (Medium).jpg
    20230418_121957 (Medium).jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230418_122101 (Medium).jpg
    20230418_122101 (Medium).jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 45

skyking1

yes any dirt is too much.
It would have been a good job for our 35 mini, I could clean it out completely :)
On the Weyerhauser/Dupont job, they had anyone drive the 30 ton offroad trucks, with predictable results. One guy flopped one at speed and it emptied itself clear out on the haul road. Would have been a bummer to meet that in anything.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Looks like the cab is pretty much done for . . . ?!?

Does the frame and body seem straight still?

Paystar

Occupation
Not real sure Acoals......I just jumped out to take those couple pics quick but wanted to get on the highway quick as a storm was coming and a bunch of highways were already closed, so I had one left to get me home and I was hammer down.

What I'm wondering is if it ran while it was on it's side and with that breather under water.