• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

welding on Gunnebo hooks on the mini buckets

skyking1

I picked up 3 of the 1 ton Gunnebo weld ons, and will be following the instructions here.
https://www.gunneboindustries.com/G...uction/UKN instr Z769443 m - Oct. 31 2018.pdf

I doubt that the mini buckets are 11 MM thick, would you form a doubler plate and apply that to the back of the bucket? I was thinking a piece of 1/2" A36 that was 2" larger than the hook footprint in each direction, and drill weld holes on the plate so I can perimeter weld and spot weld the centers too.

Delmer

I'd think that would be fine, but overkill in my opinion. I don't understand the max plate dimension of 800mm though, what does that mean?

I've welded hooks on lots of buckets, none of them were 11mm and I've tried to lift more than the loader could lift on most. I tend to think the bucket is designed for the machine, and a mini is not going to pull off a welded on hook.

skyking1

that is the total width of the plate without bracing. I'm still hanging a hook on my 1100 MM cleanup bucket, but the location is between and near the attachment plates. In other words, it is well braced just a few inches away.
I really had considered just welding the hooks on.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
That’s what I do . I put plate on loader buckets where spans are wider and you can get bigger pulling loads and side loads.

Tugger2

Ive put lots of hooks on buckets ,as BLS said a doubler plate on the spill guard of a loader bucket makes sense. Most excavator buckets are well reinforced on the back where you d put a hook. In regards to those nice hooks ,id prefer a plate lug with a hole for a shackle . If im having an excavator doing lots of slinging ill bring a hook with a heavy swivel on it to shackle on the bucket.Seems like the safety latch on the hooks might get mangled somehow being fixed on the bucket.

skyking1

@Tugger2
That's what all my 120 buckets have. I picked up a 3 ton swivel hook yesterday too, and ordered up three short lightweight cables for the mini.
I figure that swivel hook can do double duty with that mini and the 120.

skyking1

I'll post some pictures I'm putting them on today. the John Deere buckets don't quite have that long a wing on them but it's the same general area.
The main reason I went with hooks rather than loops and shackles is I work with people of varying experience and if I hear that thing go snap I know they've got the cable in it.

Bls repair

Occupation
If I needed a swivel hook I just snapped it on this hook. Didn’t need to mess with shackles.

skyking1

My swivel is going to be permanently attached to a 2 ft. That way it dangles down there where I can see the hook. I'm going to weld a loop on the top plate of my hoe pack so I can grab it quickly. Typically I have the 24 in bucket on I grab the 42-in clean out with the thumb and then pick the hoe pack up and head on into the job.

skyking1

I got one hook on, and then had to go use the excavator to do a job. That was inconvenient. :)
PXL-20201231-182437985.jpg

The buckets are all a little different. That's the 18" and the hook is still well protected IMO. The 24 and the 42 will be a bit better yet.

Bls repair

Occupation
Nice , you have to do what pays the bills first.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Nice work. I've seen people weld those on and have to remove them because the quick coupler hits them.

skyking1

Here is that 18" installed. Tucked up nice and tight but still workable. @Tugger2 , I think the only way that latch will get in trouble is when the bucket is off and I am thumbing it around. I'll be extra aware, since i did put them on myself.
PXL_20210105_002350119.jpg

The 42" , I tucked that up against the data plate.
PXL_20210105_004938786.jpg

terex herder

Then somebody forgets about the hook and rolls the bucket so the load lands on the latch. Shackles are safer.

Bls repair

Occupation
I have had many shackles unscrew and fall off . Now I safety tie them with welding rod.