1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Welded bushings

Discussion in 'Welding' started by Sberry, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    chop saw pile.JPG cut great.JPG channel cuts.JPG cut grate box fr.JPG One more shot.

doublewide likes this.
  2. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    Ok, couple more while I am clicking. shop front.JPG Vette cart.2 JPG.JPG yellow desk door.JPG a frame tools.JPG

doublewide and Volvomad like this.
  3. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

If you go from 1/2" slop to 1/8" slop, it will feel like a new machine. Personally, on a low use machine, plain steel bushings last just fine with grease every now and then.

Volvomad and DB2 like this.
  4. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
  5. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Depending on how bad the holes are split tension bushings could be a good option. They're spring steel so will last longer, don't generally require grease and aren't real expensive. They also don't need a perfect bore. If part of the bore was worn too much, build it up with weld and grind it closer with a die grinder or cone stone.

6. Volvomad

Volvomad Senior Member

Nice workshop .What amperage is the lawnmower ?

7. AllDodge

AllDodge Senior Member

8. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    It's a 210 mower. It's a solid little machine. hob lite 7.JPG vert hot 2o.JPG Cary overhead.JPG

9. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
  10. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    I can recommend tension bushings as a fix. A machine I purchased new had composite bushes which lasted 300hrs. They were replaced under warranty with torsion bushes and they were still good when the machine was sold at 6000hrs. Due to the dusty environment the worked they weren't ever greased and I did keep an eye on them in case they wore through.

11. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    Ok, what are tension bushings? I look on the net and see lotso Cat and Deere. Are these that rare? Is the rest of the machine that queer? I got no problem buying but can't find any?

12. mks

mks Well-Known Member

None currently
  13. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
  14. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    There was a grader blade bolted on under the edge. It's worn out. It appears there is another piece welded on underneath. It has about 3/4 inch left to wear it and the weld out. At the edges it is more worn. I was going to do some replacement but thought I might give it a go with some hard rod I got for a job long time ago.
    I am going to get some close pics, I was thinking of adding a hard bead to the edge and building out the corners a layer on the underside. Is the center strong enuf as it is to keep from busticating it? Right now it's all straight. I'm gonna keep the prying with the center to a minimum. 20210118_124045.jpg 20210118_124022.jpg 20210118_124009.jpg

15. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
  16. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    Shat, the edit is fussy from my phone. I should have got a pic after I buff the face. New hole. 20210120_130343.jpg 20210120_130324.jpg

Jonas302 likes this.
  17. AllDodge

AllDodge Senior Member

Maybe back the camera up slightly, it looks blurry from being to close

Nice work though

18. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    Yes, after I take it realize it was blurred. I normally am fussy and try to get as much in a single pic as I can. I have bushings in and simply welded all the way around and left room to put a seal in. I ruined my hole shooter till I got out a larger drill to run a hole saw. I do this again going to get a carbide vs a common bi metal. We used a weed sprayer and water to drill.