• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weird Hydraulic Issue cat 315CL

HATCHEQUIP

With what you have found in the mcv and still have the same problem Id jerk that mcv and go thru it with a fine tooth comb. Before this pump shoots craps. What is it 2 or 3 valves in the mcv that you have found stopped up with some kind of foreign debris.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
It makes sense. If the orifices or port reliefs are becoming plugged, you lose the safety margin in those circuits. I think, if you're not gonna take her to auction, you'd better go through the valve and disconnect travel motors to flush those hoses as well. I know this is a lot of work but it really needs to be done to prevent another pump failure.
Hopefully with all the cleaning, no additional parts will be needed, nothing more than O-rings that is.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
So from your video I take it that only one pump and one side of main control is noisy?
I think you have a blockage in the nfc circuit and what you hear is the nfc relief valve popping open causing pump flow to be very erratic until the oil can finally go through the main return passage.

Vetech63

It seems there has been either a past contamination failure, or a current one is eminent. Without a total breakdown and cleaning this is going to happen with functions forever. There is way to many places for contamination to hide throughout the hydraulic system to have any proper fix here. It wouldn't surprise me if this machine was in an auction in its past history.

floridamechanic

Mobiltech I think you are 100% correct, have worked machine hard for over year and no problems, put a prv on and external ground strap b/c 315 ground issues, just tested standby pressures and got big clue and suprise, have been wrongly thinking it was forward most pump all this time, hooked gauge up to forward pump, standby has 400lbs at idle and 550 at wot, this actuator I pulled 2 shims out of, hooked to rear pump and standby has 1000lbs at idle and 1600 at wide open throttle, all these reading are in neutral no functions activated and did pull lthe actuator on left pump this morning and removed the two shims just like other actuator, so have extreme high nfc on left pump, think your bleed down theory correct, this machine was county machine that why low hours and according to my ET scan ecm matches gauge

Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
After watching your video, we have a 450 New Holland that started doing that. Almost identical sound. It was a contamination issue. There was a coating on the inside of the hydraulic tank and it started coming off and going through the system. Took forever to figure it out.

floridamechanic

Mobiltech any way to narrow down where to look for blockage in nfc for rear pump? I know I am too old to pull the MCV, will not patch and send to auction, just not going send someone else my trouble, not my way doing things,

Mobiltech

Occupation
You could pull that nfc relief again and see if you can flush it out. Remove signal line on valve at the same time and blow back through . chase the passage with something.
After all this playing around just make sure you havent got your nfc signal lines crossed .

Mobiltech

Occupation
With a problem like this you have to be thorough when testing and cleaning. Follow schematic and double check your connnections .

floridamechanic

Well lets put this one to bed, ole HTS pump was the issue, just asked them if folks in Mississippi had sense humor, they wanted paperwork on new cooler for''warranty'' sent them the pics of their rebuilt pump and explained they prolly will not be getting paperwork, requested they refund all my money and would let it go, chirp gone both sides 350 nc pressure, actuator was unscrewed not letting it travel, cheeezzzz what a road, comments more than welcome

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 59

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So your pump regulator is full of rust? Piston stuck/seized holding displacement in place? Holy cow. That's terrible. Glad you found it, sorry it was such a long and difficult journey. You better take care of your woman after all this. (If she stuck around:))

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Well, there you go. Take that girl out to dinner. You said in the beginning, you'd pay the one who found it, so pay up. She deserves it.

Last edited:

Mobiltech

Occupation
Wow .What are the chances youd get a pump that would mimic the problems of the old pump. That explains the tracking issue. I wasnt sure how a blocked nfc passage was causing that . i thought you had a rebuilt pump .Dont you hate it when that happens .

floridamechanic

Well I am sure trying do my part, all back together and go for test flight, did not crash but had to limp back runway, beginning to think have a bad relief valve of NFC, get warm and under big load or full function and hold get chirp, strange part is while ago had bride boom up all way and hold, bogged motor hard but no chirp, next time no bog and chirp, standby pressure both pumps 350-400, main relief kicks in 5200 both pumps, pilot pressure 500, need pull nfc reliefs see stopped up and if not could one be bad and root cause of all my trouble?