• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weird Hydraulic Issue cat 315CL

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Gotcha, well this is a big bucket o suck. We still don't know the root cause. I dont believe the pump was the initial problem. If it is, that's wonderful, I just dont see it.

floridamechanic

I understand what you all are saying but walk over to my side and look, excavator makes 1,800 a day, plus I love HUGE risk that is why I have yellow iron, cat is 120 days out on pump coming from '''overseas''' which is sanitary word for ''China'', have a pull off that has been bench tested for 3,500 waiting if this one bad, so when you weight it all out I rolled the dice, hero/zero time, I spoke with ole boy and he was real familiar with what pump was on 315cl and had one and sent me pics ,got it out same day and have a tracking number on 350 lbs of something coming on old dominion my way, will crack sides and see if shoes are new b/c you all taught me so much in such a short time, right now have excavator sitting 100 feet out of swamp in not real secure place not making a nickle, so gamble an go lol

floridamechanic

funforfuel am I thinking wrong that I need put it together and see if functions perform as they should? Win/lose/draw need machine to run, to run needs pump, so....? Sure do listen too you all and will continue to listen, lord if I made a bad call on this pump thing I promise you I did not lose my virginity

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Optimism , love it! Clean everything as well as humanly possible. With the oil out of the system take the pump discharge hoses off and blow back towards pump into a pig mat or clean white cotton. You're looking for shrapnel and powdered metal. If you find any, you'll want to carefully remove the spools from the valve with the bottom end caps off. Flush each bore with brake clean or whatever you choose. You don't want something getting in between a spool and land, bad stuff will happen fast

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
It's well yes both hoses from the pump going to the case drain should be flushed clean but I was specifically talking about the pump discharge hoses running to your main control valve we have to be sure there is no debris or lodged material in those hoses that could do harm to your main control valve
Considering you lost a slipper face you also want to pull the sump pipe off clean and inspect it as well and then unfortunately you're going to have to do the same on the floor of the hydraulic tank where the standpipe is for the sump.

floridamechanic

ok, your thinking I know what I am doing, I do not, so hyd tank has sump and need pull belly pan and drain sump? tank is empty right now, going back up there friday and start all this, then pull large port on top and clean standpipe?line clear on case drain to tank, question--the pistons compress the oil ''in the case'' is this true? or is the case drain what takes care of leakage from pistons?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
No pistons draw oil in, compress it and send it out to do work. Case drain is minimal. It is considered cooling and lubricating oil. As a rule, pump maximum displacement would yield no more than 5% of that volume to case drain. It should more or less trickle, no heavy flow. Some folks actually call it leakage.

TVA

The most crucial things for pump is suction and case drain, everything have to be clean and freely flowing!
Than overpresurizing issue, if you think you’re up to the task of rechecking and resetting everything, I think we can give you general procedure guide lines, and very experienced CAT mechanics should give you their wisdom ( idk why they are in the shadows right now, except Nige) but I think you gonna need manual for that.

What is the efficiency of that used pump? Do you know?

TVA

Piston compress oil in the barrel! Think about it as revolver style engine block! Case flow that’s like blow by, but in pumps case most of the time it’s mostly from valve plate which you can think of like cylinder head.

TVA

By stand pipe you mean return filter housing? There’s two flange style lids on hydraulic tank, you already met suction strainer lid, the one with vent on top, the other is return filter lid. That’s two biggest holes except one on the bottom to do your cleaning through. Although return filter housing will be more of a hassle !

TVA

If the suction hose will be too stiff and not playable, I suggest to cut it and throw away. Same with cooler hoses.

TVA

If the suction hose will be too stiff and not playable, I suggest to cut it and throw away. Same with cooler hoses.
Sorry, I forgot that you already have pumps off!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The last of it. Again, it's up to you as to how closely you follow the instructions. It is what is recommended to clean your system to make a safe place for the pump to live and not cause any further damage

Attachments

• 20190206_192453.jpg
    20190206_192453.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20190206_192512.jpg
    20190206_192512.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11