• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weird Grader Applications

Grader4me

We use them on our graders for spreading asphalt. On the bottom of ours is an adjustable plate so they can match the moldboard blade. The reason for this is one day you might be grading a road (wearing the blade) and the next day leveling asphalt. This way you can adjust the side plate to match the blade. Works like a dream.

willemdegrader

Occupation
grader operator
there are many requests for these "sideboards"...very strange the manufacturers of motorgraders don't make these attachements...

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
Hi looking for an attachment called ice buster for breaking up snow and ice pack anyone see it or know where to get one or info
thanks Kris

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
Ice buster article

http://http://www.t2.unr.edu/2007_Winter__2.pdf[/URL]
Here is an article that I found it would be great for winter here at the mine
Help from anyone who has used it and where I can get it.
thanks
Kris

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I understand they were made in western Canada,
Our local heavy equipment dealer said they had access to 2 used units last year. When I asked them to lok into them they dropped the ball as usual.

I have been looking for 1 to try for some time now (10 years) with no luck.

Grader4me

http://http://www.t2.unr.edu/2007_Winter__2.pdf[/URL]
Here is an article that I found it would be great for winter here at the mine
Help from anyone who has used it and where I can get it.
thanks
Kris

Welcome to the forum Hopuser. Thanks for the link. I would be interested as well for anymore information on these.

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
Ice buster

I found a couple of used ones in Edmonton, John Deere lists one in their catalog a company called CWS in Surrey used to carry one I have seen it mounted on the ripper and also where the scarfier is mounted, there used to be a video of it working but I lost it,
Look forward to any posts and replies
how do you post pictures?
Thanks
Kris

Partsdude

Our local heavy equipment dealer said they had access to 2 used units last year. When I asked them to lok into them they dropped the ball as usual.

If they were indeed made in western Canada I may be able to source one for you.
I found the original makers of this unit, FMG International out of Chile(they have snow?? :beatsme ).

I have put out some inquiries to see if anyone has these new or used.

I found better pictures :

Attachments

• Icebuster_001_BR.jpg
    Icebuster_001_BR.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,672
  • Icebuster_002_BR.jpg
    Icebuster_002_BR.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,603
  • Icebuster_003_BR.jpg
    Icebuster_003_BR.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,598

Partsdude

Update : They were indeed made by CWS / IMAC but they no longer manufacture them.
Will keep on looking though. I am not out of options ... yet.

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
I've never seen this attachment but it looks cool. I see a cylinder. I assume this is a stabilizer cylinder but is it hydraulically controlled or just running to an accumulator? What are you wanting to put it on? I might be interested in building it.

Partsdude

I am not sure what machine it is to go on, we will have to wait to see if Dwan Hall will see this and let us know what machine he has.

Originally Posted by Dwan Hall

Partsdude

I've never seen this attachment but it looks cool. I see a cylinder. I assume this is a stabilizer cylinder but is it hydraulically controlled or just running to an accumulator? What are you wanting to put it on? I might be interested in building it.

It does look as though it would have to go to an accumulator. There is only 1 cylinder on the side so my guess is that it is just for allowing some movement over curbs and manhole covers etc...

Then again what do I know? I've never even sat my butt in a grader. :D

Last edited:

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
Ice Buster

Hi
It would be great to be able to use it with a balderson so you could use it with multiple machines (grader,IT18, small loader,tool carrier,) Where I need it is bridge approaches and a large paved area ,I have a problem area where I have a low area that builds ice and I end up using an excavator to break it up, Its hard on the concrete and not cost effective! I have Volov l-50 with serrated edges on the snow plow attachment that we use to clear snow from the mine site but still the ice builds up because of the high traffic from the mine vehicles.
This would work well for the ore pad hill the mine haul trucks come out from underground with warm tire and pack the small hill to the ore pad we have to consatantly maintain it with rock ( we use 3 inch minus to sand with) it seems to hold up under the large trucks they haul 50 tons! Still we have to rough it up every hour in snowing condition.
Sorry got long winded
Kris

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I would mount it on My Grader in place of the scarfire which mounts behind the front wheels.

Attachments

• 016 (2).jpg
    016 (2).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,500

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I had a ball with her 2 the last few days. Practiced with the blade turned backwards. Man what a difference been able to watch the cutting edge work. Still working on the coordination thing though. Lets see now the left still lifts the left and the circle still turns the right way but the side shift is backwards. now do I pull this lever to turn the rear wheels left or right, no I push it, oops that was the scar fire.
Just going to take time.
It does flat ground great and I can put a crown on a road but not sure about compound curves.
She made enough in the past 2 days to pay for her self. excluding the work I put into her. 2 more job before I put the ice blades back on her.

How do you train a property manager to accept the fact you can't grade 3" material to within 1"? And he won't let me bring in a compactor to finish the job. He just wants the park graded once a month and that is suppose to hold up. I guess I shouldn't complain it is 4 to 5 hours a month grading. I know I could cap the road with RAP and compact it but then only grade it once a year.

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
I would mount it on the ripper we run a 14H and no scarfire on that one we also have a push block on the front to push trucks when they spin out on hills,

Grader4me

I had a ball with her 2 the last few days. Practiced with the blade turned backwards. Man what a difference been able to watch the cutting edge work.
It does flat ground great and I can put a crown on a road but not sure about compound curves.
She made enough in the past 2 days to pay for her self. excluding the work I put into her. 2 more job before I put the ice blades back on her.

How do you train a property manager to accept the fact you can't grade 3" material to within 1"? And he won't let me bring in a compactor to finish the job. He just wants the park graded once a month and that is suppose to hold up. I guess I shouldn't complain it is 4 to 5 hours a month grading. I know I could cap the road with RAP and compact it but then only grade it once a year.

Well, if you can crown a road already then you're doing very well! So..if you've swung your blade around, you must have done the high lift thingy..how did that work for you? On your AW wouldn't that have to be done mechanically (no hydraulics)? We discussed that procedure a few years back when I first joined here I think.

What are you running for ice blades..maybe if I did a search you already answered this question...bare with me as I am older than dirt ya know (memory loss)

Finally..don't raise to much of a fuss about that guy wanting his park graded once a month...instead of making it less by what you described...let sleeping dogs lay...that adds up to more practice and more $$ :D

Super Roel

Side board .

side board i use when grading with laser/gps

Hello Willem ,

In Europe are two grader factories that made that side boards , O&K , and HBM .
The side boards from O&K are a little thikker than sigaret paper , but the one from HBM are very good , see the pictures , when u not used them u can store these blades on the backside of the front blade .

Attachments

• Herschaalde kopie van 096.jpg
    Herschaalde kopie van 096.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,581
  • Herschaalde kopie van 097.jpg
    Herschaalde kopie van 097.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,543
  • Herschaalde kopie van 098.jpg
    Herschaalde kopie van 098.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,562

Super Roel

Weird grader Tractem B 30

Is it a grader a loader of a dozer , it is it all .

Attachments

• Herschaalde kopie van Tractem-B30.jpg
    Herschaalde kopie van Tractem-B30.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,509